Granite Typhon Shocks on Mega 4x4. What do you do for the upper mount?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadlerbw

Reaction score
Hey Folks! I finally picked up a set of Typhon shocks to put on my Granite 4x4, but they didn't come with any sort of plastic ball or anything in the upper mounting hole. I looked at the parts diagram for the Typhon, and it looks like there the top of the shock rides on a big metal standoff that bolts to the front bulkhead. Since the Grante 4x4 doesn't have a bulkhead like that, the standoff thing doesn't seem to be an option. For anyone who has done this shock swap, what did you do for an upper shock mount?

I measured the hole on the shock and it appears to be about 7.8mm in diameter, which is way bigger than the plastic ball in the stock shocks. I also measured the width of the plastic ball in the stock shocks, and it looks like it was about 8mm wide. So, I need something with about those dimensions to fill the space and put an M3 screw through. It looks like there is a 7.8mmx8mm plastic ball with a 3mm hole that is used elsewhere on the Typhon (part# AR310450.) From the dimensions, it sounds like it would work, but I'd feel better is someone else had tried it before.

The bottom mount of the shocks bolt right up. It's just the top mount that has me scratching my head. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hey Folks! I finally picked up a set of Typhon shocks to put on my Granite 4x4, but they didn't come with any sort of plastic ball or anything in the upper mounting hole. I looked at the parts diagram for the Typhon, and it looks like there the top of the shock rides on a big metal standoff that bolts to the front bulkhead. Since the Grante 4x4 doesn't have a bulkhead like that, the standoff thing doesn't seem to be an option. For anyone who has done this shock swap, what did you do for an upper shock mount?

I measured the hole on the shock and it appears to be about 7.8mm in diameter, which is way bigger than the plastic ball in the stock shocks. I also measured the width of the plastic ball in the stock shocks, and it looks like it was about 8mm wide. So, I need something with about those dimensions to fill the space and put an M3 screw through. It looks like there is a 7.8mmx8mm plastic ball with a 3mm hole that is used elsewhere on the Typhon (part# AR310450.) From the dimensions, it sounds like it would work, but I'd feel better is someone else had tried it before.

The bottom mount of the shocks bolt right up. It's just the top mount that has me scratching my head. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Nitro fuel tubing or there is a pivot ball on the truck that hits once you cut off the lip.

Thanks folks! I ended up doing something very similar. However, I think I must have gotten new V4 shocks because a have a whole lot more hole to fill. I ended up using two different sizes of tubing, one inside the other, to get things snug. Luckily, I had a set of M3 spacers from another project and was able to space the bottom mounts on the front out a couple millimeters with those. I did notice rubbing at full steering lock without the spacers. Might be harder on the lower mounting screws this way, but I’ve got plenty of those if they bend or break.

Took it out for a spin, and it handled jumps and hard hits much better. Traction rolled more easily, but I can live with that. Overall, these shocks/springs did what I wanted better than the stock shocks with thicker fluid and slightly stiffer springs.

What weight oil are you guys using with the Typhon shocks on your granite?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back