Typhon Typhon TLR Castle 1515 Mamba X Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool I thought the same haha
It’s accurately off. I use it as a guide and it seems the max speed it about 20% too high. It’s nice to compare setups or when setting up a car what gearing it will take to get it comparable to my other cars,
Had a look at the app and it is as accurate as it can be, the calc is mathematically correct.

It just can’t factor in all the variables that affect the actual real speed of the car, which there are many of.
Like wind resistance, driveline losses, battery sag, rolling resistance, ballooning of the tires, efficiency of the motor and esc etc.

That’s gonna be the same for any speed/rc gear calculator, they all use the same math.

Had a look at the app and it is as accurate as it can be, the calc is mathematically correct.

It just can’t factor in all the variables that affect the actual real speed of the car, which there are many of.
Like wind resistance, driveline losses, battery sag, rolling resistance, ballooning of the tires, efficiency of the motor and esc etc.

That’s gonna be the same for any speed/rc gear calculator, they all use the same math.
https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/ uses something to calculate drag if you punch in the numbers there and then on the gear calc

typhontlr.png

VS

538BF9AD-9667-424E-83F6-3A4FC023C6BC.png

I’m running a 21/40 on my TLRT. Since I have a few smaller pinions 13-18t it seemed smarter and cheaper for me to spend money on a small spur gear as it opens up using spares I already have instead of buying multiple bigger pinions that would likely go unused. Had I not been impatient to get the car together I would have gone to a bigger pinion off the bat but they shop had >21t and then a 27 and 29. Hindsight the 27/50 would have been almost the same ratio I am at now

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/ uses something to calculate drag if you punch in the numbers there and then on the gear calc

View attachment 210914
VS

View attachment 210915

I’m running a 21/40 on my TLRT. Since I have a few smaller pinions 13-18t it seemed smarter and cheaper for me to spend money on a small spur gear as it opens up using spares I already have instead of buying multiple bigger pinions that would likely go unused. Had I not been impatient to get the car together I would have gone to a bigger pinion off the bat but they shop had >21t and then a 27 and 29. Hindsight the 27/50 would have been almost the same ratio I am at now
Man I thought I was going crazy when I noticed the difference between that website and the app. That website Calc is super accurate for me so I thought it was weird when I would see people say I need to deduct like 20% from the total mph. 🤣

BTW, I dunno if you're using stock mount or not but a 27/50 is only capable with 1 motor mount screw using stock mount. Not that I've ever had a problem using only 1 screw but thought I'd mention it.

View attachment 210914
VS

View attachment 210915
Yeah, some of the calcs simply subtract a few % from the result based on experience and estimation.

Try setting the battery voltage to 3.8V on the gear speed app and you get much closer to the result from the other calculator (73mph). No battery is able to sustain 4.2V per cell under load.

I guess what I am trying to say is that none of these calculators are, and can not be, completely accurate and should be seen as a tool for referencing different gearing setups and getting a rough idea if you’re in the right ballpark for what you are trying to accomplish.

If that makes any sense 😅

Yeah, some of the calcs simply subtract a few % from the result based on experience and estimation.

Try setting the battery voltage to 3.8V on the gear speed app and you get much closer to the result from the other calculator (73mph). No battery is able to sustain 4.2V per cell under load.

I guess what I am trying to say is that none of these calculators are, and can not be, completely accurate and should be seen as a tool for referencing different gearing setups and getting a rough idea if you’re in the right ballpark for what you are trying to accomplish.

If that makes any sense 😅
100% agree.

View attachment 210914
VS

View attachment 210915
I use the radiocontrolinfo chart mostly and find it to be quite good, recently bought the gear speed app because I've no idea how to input the gearing for 8s models into radiocontrolinfo 🤔 because of the reduction center gearbox it's not that simple..

If anyone knows how to do it, please let me know 👍🏼

I use the radiocontrolinfo chart mostly and find it to be quite good, recently bought the gear speed app because I've no idea how to input the gearing for 8s models into radiocontrolinfo 🤔 because of the reduction center gearbox it's not that simple..

If anyone knows how to do it, please let me know 👍🏼
I had this same problem and someone here had posted a formula that worked but Im not sure who it was but I want to say it was a post from @Mr.Duke

If you know the trans ratio and your gearing you can calculate the final drive. Insert the final drive as a formula in the spur/pinion like the following. Since my final drive is 7.898 you have to use big numbers to make the math work. The diff/spur could have been 1:1 or 2:2 as it no longer matters since it is calculated as part of your final drive.

6A364954-CED7-41AF-A0CF-7C11B7646FB0.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back