Typhon Typhon TLR differential

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmcdade0003

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I recently got a TLR Typhon. I'm upgrading the middle differential from a 50 tooth to a 46 tooth. When upgrading one diff, do you typically upgrade all of them to the same tooth count?

The center spur gear is different from the crown gear that is on the front and rear differential and do not need to be changed in unison. The question you need to answer regarding the center spur is whether or not you are gearing up on the pinion such that you need the space afforded by going from a 50T to a 46T spur. If you sticking around 17-20T pinions (gearing for 4s running on a track), you do not need to change out the spur.

The center spur gear is different from the crown gear that is on the front and rear differential and do not need to be changed in unison. The question you need to answer regarding the center spur is whether or not you are gearing up on the pinion such that you need the space afforded by going from a 50T to a 46T spur. If you sticking around 17-20T pinions (gearing for 4s running on a track), you do not need to change out the spur.
I appreciate the response. I'm still new to the hobby so I'm learning alot about gearing still. I'm wanting to go to a 24 tooth pinion. I know that works with the 50 tooth stock spur. I wanted a bit more speed as I am going more for speed runs on 6s rather than track runs.

Gotcha. If you find yourself running out of room then you can just change out the center spur without having to worry about the crown gear on the front/rear differentials (which are actually 43T).

I appreciate the response. I'm still new to the hobby so I'm learning alot about gearing still. I'm wanting to go to a 24 tooth pinion. I know that works with the 50 tooth stock spur. I wanted a bit more speed as I am going more for speed runs on 6s rather than track runs.

I think roughly 25 is the last one that fits with 50T in the Typhon TLR. I tried a 27T once and you just need to make a little room in the slide mount with a drill. Not sure what you plan to do, but that buggy will be a speed buggy only and watch the temps. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back