Typhon TLR keeps wheeling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powell987

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
How would i stop my typhon from doing a wheelie ?
I have it running on 6s with a 20t pinion, the car just keeps wheeling. Do i need to drop the pinion size/ or run it on 4s?
Or would changing the oil in the suspension/diffs stop this ?
Can anyone recommend anything to stop this ?

How would i stop my typhon from doing a wheelie ?
I have it running on 6s with a 20t pinion, the car just keeps wheeling. Do i need to drop the pinion size/ or run it on 4s?
Or would changing the oil in the suspension/diffs stop this ?
Can anyone recommend anything to stop this ?
Currently what is the center diff fluid weight?

Running it on 4s will definitely help.

Currently running 30k center then 20k front and back
That's pretty thin so it should not be your problem.

Lowering the ESC punch could help.

What ESC and motor kV are you running?

Hobbywing max8 2200kv motor
@dure0016 right on at 4S

Powell987 I have not run my TLR basher at 6S but as 4S only. Similar setup as yours, but I have done a good job to match the power of my best friend Typhon 6S v5 when we bash. We run square up that way I have it in our dirt-bashing area.

I will also add his 6S stock does not wheelie. I do not wheelie either at 4S:

Max8 @ punch 4
21T pinion
2050kv motor
20/20/10k diffs
Single China Hobby 4S battery

It sticks and runs like a dream :)

Stock tires? Also 2200 kv with a 20t pinion on 6s is pretty darn gnarly on a little typhon. You could probably run 4s on that setup and be really happy
Yh i was thinking try it on 4s next
Stock tires? Also 2200 kv with a 20t pinion on 6s is pretty darn gnarly on a little typhon. You could probably run 4s on that setup and be really happy
I have proline badlands on
@dure0016 right on at 4S

Powell987 I have not run my TLR basher at 6S but as 4S only. Similar setup as yours, but I have done a good job to match the power of my best friend Typhon 6S v5 when we bash. We run square up that way I have it in our dirt-bashing area.

I will also add his 6S stock does not wheelie. I do not wheelie either at 4S:

Max8 @ punch 4
21T pinion
2050kv motor
20/20/10k diffs

It sticks and runs like a dream :)
What speed do you get out of the typhon tlr on 4s with 21t pinion ?

What speed do you get out of the typhon tlr on 4s with 21t pinion ?

I forgot to add I do run the Proline SC Badland MX tires...

I do not have a GPS, but I am a spreadsheet guy like to play there first before building to keep RPMs low well under 50k. So I am at the 60ish mark. A stock Typhon v5 shows on the Arrma site at 70ish. If we ran straight no turns, he would win...6S vs. 4S is a no-brainer, and he has more lipo power.

We are dirt-bashing, so no option for a 1/4 mile straight runs or anything like that, so it turns, jumps, and banked corners. We run equal, but I am far cool in temps, so it's a great matchup.

Blue numbers show the speed. 52mph at 3.7v and at 4.2v full charge 60mph. Bashing all you need IMHO. Weight, punch, take-off, better ESC, and of course, skills are what is needed. Weight is a big edge with TLR vs. his battery-weighted v5.

118 and 117 show the two different sets of tires I use. When I am on grass and do not want traction to slide and drift, I run the stock tires with low traction.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 3.10.20 PM.png

@powell987

Adding in your motor at 4S, the 2200kv shows about 64mph

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 3.14.32 PM.png

Last edited:
That's pretty thin so it should not be your problem.

Lowering the ESC punch could help.

What ESC and motor kV are you running?

20k thin in a 1/8 buggy?

10k is pushing excess. 20k is 100% the source of wheelies.

Most race buggies use 7/7/4, or 7/10/4 for high traction surfaces. I'd try 7/10/4 and see how you like it.
I wouldn’t go that low for front/rear in a basher, especially on 6S. It’ll diff out like crazy and cause tire/diff problems.

The 20K you have in front/rear right now is fine. I’d leave it.

To reduce wheelies, drop the center to 20K and turn your punch down.

I wouldn’t go that low for front/rear in a basher, especially on 6S. It’ll diff out like crazy and cause tire/diff problems.

The 20K you have in front/rear right now is fine. I’d leave it.

To reduce wheelies, drop the center to 20K and turn your punch down.
Will give this a try! I have dropped it too 4s and its doesn't wheelie at all then! Would like to run it on 6s though….

Will give this a try! I have dropped it too 4s and its doesn't wheelie at all then! Would like to run it on 6s though….
As I posted above will copy it below. I only run my TLR at 4S against my best old friend v5 version 6S. We compete evenly on our country field track. My TLR does not wheelie and runs great and cooler than his 6S.

Max8 @ punch 4
21T pinion
2050kv motor
20/20/10k diffs

The bigger pinion gives me that extra speed and well balanced for temps...over 21 would throw my temps off. This TLR is only for bashing not racing. These diff weights are in range of all the people I PM on YT and forums on what they were running in their bashing videos.

Enjoy!

1666548735005.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back