Typhon TYphon TLR motor Castle vs Hobbywing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the castle 1515 2200kv and Mamba X in my TLR, only run 4s but it doesn’t run hot and plenty of power for the track.

And what do you think is better for the Thypon TLR ?
That's a loaded question dude?
Better to do what exactly???
For hard bashing and Big air, the TLRT Typhon is better with a sensorless motor. In keeping it as a Race Ready platform. And 4s is best IMHO.
Sensored will absolutely drive way better. Will have no Cogging like all Sensorless setups do. Better low speed thr control etc. Better midrange torque control.

For bashing you can just use a sensorless if $$ is a constraint. Sensored will always cost more. It not snake oil as many think.
At a track, or for any technical driving, you will always have a disadvantage running a Sensorless setup.
Edited.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Can I ask you please what gearing you are using ?
Stock center diff, with a 16T pinion. You could gear up a few teeth on the pinion but my local track is fairly technical so I keep it around 16T. It really depends on what you plan to do with your rig.

And what do you think is better for the Thypon TLR ?
🤷🏽‍♂️ Don’t own one but everyone seems to do 6s system run on 4s, if your looken for a basher id get the regular typhon v5.

I like my 1515 combo but it’s not in a TLR. I’m also a fan of Mix and match. Castle esc tp motor😍

🤷🏽‍♂️ Don’t own one but everyone seems to do 6s system run on 4s, if your looken for a basher id get the regular typhon v5.

I like my 1515 combo but it’s not in a TLR. I’m also a fan of Mix and match. Castle esc tp motor😍
I've never even disgraced my typhon TLR with a 4s battery. He eats only the best! good chunky 6s graphene and geared to do 80 mph. I'ma dip out of this thread though because no one in here ready for the GOAT TP :ROFLMAO:

I'ma just leave this here for our friend in germany.

https://tppower.de/epages/bd5f179c-...9-bbe0-e825a2cc9e1a/Products/TP4050_2100KVs5f

For hard bashing and Big air, the TLRT Typhon is better with a sensorless motor.
Isn’t sensored always better? Why would sensorless be better for bashing, unless you’re taking price/benefit into the equation?
I've never even disgraced my typhon TLR with a 4s battery. He eats only the best! good chunky 6s graphene and geared to do 80 mph. I'ma dip out of this thread though because no one in here ready for the GOAT TP :ROFLMAO:

https://tppower.de/epages/bd5f179c-...9-bbe0-e825a2cc9e1a/Products/TP4050_2100KVs5f
Why do you like TP so much? I’ve never had one.

Isn’t sensored always better? Why would sensorless be better for bashing, unless you’re taking price/benefit into the equation?

Why do you like TP so much? I’ve never had one.
They're honestly really good motors, lots of speed runners and dragsters use them. You also never see any posts on here about people having problems with them either. I put them in almost all of my rigs though I do have a max 6 combo and a few castle combos too. My Ideal setup for pretty much anything is a mmx8s + TP motor. Which is exactly whats in my typhon tlr except I went tp 4060 over 4050 that I recommended to the OP. TP 4050 is a 40x82mm can I believe and 4060 is 40x92 can

Can you elaborate on this? Is the setup different than the V5 Typhon?
I believe it's ARA320654 It's also super easy and cheap to swap it to the Typhon v5 or exb one too iirc. I had to do it to my typhon tlr GT build to mount limitless towers.

Thank you very much for the link - this is cool because the compay is located in Germany ...

Now a very simple beginner's question - which ESC do I need for this? :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for the link - this is cool because the compay is located in Germany ...

Now a very simple beginner's question - which ESC do I need for this? :rolleyes:
I'd go with an castle mamba monster x 8s but you could also get away with a max6. My wifey used a tp 4050 2100kv + a max6 for a good while.

Can you elaborate on this? Is the setup different than the V5 Typhon?
TLRT has Hinge pin mounting blocks. (some call them Pills) The F/R Towers, A,B (and B Upper),C and D blocks are Pill mount specific.They make the rig more fragile to impacts. The Pills, are delicate, crack and pop out, get lost easily. Hingepins go flying etc. The TLRT Hinge pins are also shorter than the RTR 6s Typhon and not interchangeable as a result. The TLRT comes with many different Pills (38 bagged in the box and not cheap to replace) with varying angles to change Caster,Camber and Roll center, height etc.. Understanding Chassis geometry can be very complicated. Need the included manual's "Pill Chart" to determine proper placement and adjustibility. This is very common on Competition Track rigs to dial in the rig for different tracks. But is a weak point for hard bashing. Been there.
Many with the TLRT will never run it on any track. And will never appreciate or change this adjustability. Sacrificing Durability with Hard Bashing use.
The pill setups come with this Caveate on the TLRT. Broke and lost many Pills so far. Mostly at the front end. And I drive my TLRT in a conservative manor on 4s ONLY, FWIW. The TLRT is designed for smaller Track jumps, doubles and triples at lower max. speeds typically below 35mph. (Most tracks) So there is no room for big air error and hard front/rear end Impacts IMHO.
Many will buy the TLRT because of it's Bling Trick looks etc. And because it is an inexpensive roller. (A benefit to some)
Just that it will NOT be good for hard big air bashing like the RTR 6s Typhon. TLRT is most durable in a 4s, and not 6s configuration as with any 1/8 Race Ready Buggy rig. I knew this before buying my TLRT well ahead. With 6s, may just be a good platform for dedicated speed running only. And we know that many high speed runs can still always end up in carnage. The Pill mounts will always be the first to break. Always a weak link.
Understand the above, Before buying a TLRT vs a 6s RTR Typhon. There are other subtle functional differences between the 2. Like better shocks with the TLRT, more plush, size and shock tower geometry etc. The TLRT is Race ready for track use, to compete in that realm with other comp rigs. Not for bashing.
My spin.
I've always been a HW guy myself. HW Sensored only. Xerun series. Running the latest G3 Motor XR8 Plus combo in my TLRT. But only run 4s, although 6s capable.

20220619_132150.jpg

20220619_132000.jpg

20220619_131432.jpg

1655659810942.png

1655659847726.png

1655659902168.png

Full running weight is 9.4 pounds.

1655660616911.png

My TLRT is perfectly balanced. Cross weight is a perfect 50%/50%. Most important with any Track rig. Typhon TLRT out the box is nicely balanced to start with.
F-R weight bias can't get any better also.

Last edited:
I've always been a HW guy myself. HW Sensored only. Xerun series. Running the latest G3 Motor XR8 Plus combo in my TLRT. But only run 4s, although 6s capable.
Thanks for the thorough explanation! I’m curious - why the HW truggy motor?

Some others consider it a Truggy motor. But really is suitable for 1/8 Buggies or Truggies. The track guys run either of them.Whether a Truggy or Buggy. Geared correctly. Based on the track and their driving style. 2250kv G3 motor is fine in a buggy, especially running 4s lipos. Will run cooler with 4s over a 6s pack. 4s being the limit on 1/8 tracks. Whether Truggy or Buggy, restricted to 4s lipos. 2250kv has a bit more RPM's and slightly less torque than the 1900kv/1950kv. The TLRT or any buggy is also lighter than a Truggy rig and less torque is needed in general.
How I see it at least. But you can run either of them. I considered the 1900, but the New G3 was on B/O. My truggy (Kraton) would be better suited with 1900kv being heavier and running 6s, for bashing would be better suited as one example.
The Xerun series sensored ESC's and Motors are marketted for and used at the track. But for bashing , Sensored setups rule IMHO, if you can afford the extra coin.
Once you drive a Sensored setup, you will see the difference in Thr. control. Especially at low to mid Thr. No cogging etc, like seen with an otherwise Non-sensored setup. This is why Sensored is best for confined technical track driving. Or just any RC bashing fun.
My spin.
Edit.
I don't race my TLRT at the track. No tracks nearby. But since it is a Race ready rig, I setup my TLRT up as such. And I don't bash this rig hard. Not meant for it. It is not as forigiving as a 6s RTR Typhon. I drive it fast on a Baseball infield in a more technical fashion. Around the bases or figure Eights over the pitchers mound, just to give you an idea how I drive my TLRT. Smallish jumps etc. I only wish there was a 1/8 track nearby:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back