Typhon Typhon tlr servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin_McCubbin

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
  4. Typhon TLR
What type of servo is everyone using in their Typhon TLr? I just broke the stock one in my Typhon 6SV5 and was looking at replacing that one as well. I was considering the ProTek 170TBL for the TLR and then maybe one of those Amazon 35KG servos for the 6SV5. I have the protek 170TBL in my infraction and the Protek 370TBL in my Kraton EXB 1/8. I am running a Castle MMX in the TLR whereas in the infraction & Kraton I am running the CASTLE MMX8S. I have never had any issues w running those ESC’s at 7.4v so I was going to do the same for the TLR. Looking for suggestions.

I'm sure the 170TBL would be good in that buggy. The Amazon DS servos are fine for what they are. Definitely a good value because of the low price, but not what I'd call great servos. I have several of them by the way. They are slow.

If you're looking for something in between the 170TBL and DS servos in price/quality, I've been happy with the Send-It HV626 in my Typhon TLR. It can also handle the 8V BEC voltage your Castle ESCs can spit out.

P.S. I saw you're in the Chicago area. Some of us are running cars at College of DuPage on Sunday at 2pm. Feel free to join.

knock on wood I have had great luck with savox servo's. I typically run the 1210SG in my trucks and have the 1211SG in the buggies for a little bit quicker speed.

I'm sure the 170TBL would be good in that buggy. The Amazon DS servos are fine for what they are. Definitely a good value because of the low price, but not what I'd call great servos. I have several of them by the way. They are slow.

If you're looking for something in between the 170TBL and DS servos in price/quality, I've been happy with the Send-It HV626 in my Typhon TLR. It can also handle the 8V BEC voltage your Castle ESCs can spit out.

P.S. I saw you're in the Chicago area. Some of us are running cars at College of DuPage on Sunday at 2pm. Feel free to join.
I would love to come out to COD to run my rcs w you guys however, I have 2 birthday parties to take my son to. PM me though for future events or hang outs as I am always game if I am free!

I ended up buying the hobby star servo for my Typhon 6SV5 and bought the Savox 2292SG for the TLR. The Savox is faster than the ProTek 170TBL and 170SBL but not quite as torquey. However the 170SBL is not currently available anywhere that I could find and I don’t think the TLR needs all the extra torque since it is not that heavy and tires not that large. So, as soon as the Savox 2292SG gets her I will be installing it in the TLR.

Last edited:
knock on wood I have had great luck with savox servo's. I typically run the 1210SG in my trucks and have the 1211SG in the buggies for a little bit quicker speed.
I got the Savox 2292SG. It
Is unbelievably fast and strong. Loud as well lol. I have a video of it on my Typhon TLR & the HobbyStar HBW-4717HV Super-Torque High-Speed Digital Brushless Waterproof Servo on my Typhon 6SV5.

AGF RC A81BHP is about 100$ and is perfect. Just the right amount of power (much more than enough) and much faster than my eyes can see. Also programmable to use the crazy fast speeds of the racing radios (Sanwa & Futaba) if you like

the 2292 is crazy fast and plenty of power for almost any 1/8 scale. I did the 2290SG-BE in my newest Tekno basher. More power and a little less speed but it is waterproof.

Amazon 35kg servo seem fast to me. Maybe I don't know what fast is though lol.
Servo speed is very Subjective to many. What is fast spec wise, under 11 ms. Under 13ms, under 9ms? And BEC volts along with real world use is deceiving.
Yet many feel the need to have the fastest servo....because they also want their whole rig to be "fastest".:LOL:
Wrong logic. Slower is more in most cases. When you see your servo turning the wheels too slow for your liking, it can also be not enough torque. Not speed being the issue. Just the wrong servo for your rig. An under powered servo will struggle to be fast. It might appear fast uninstalled on the bench when tested, but installed it can just be under powered.
Even the seasoned track guys will dial down their speed as needed. Too much is no good. Harder to drive/keeping a line on the track.
DS3235 ( or any 35kg servo) is fine in a TLRT. I've had real faster servos.
Fastest servo Does NOT make you any better of a driver at all.
This even works against you.
In general, for Racing, not bashing, you get the strongest and fastest servo but always dialing in the speed where it works best for a small confined Track setting. With Bashing, speed is a moot point. Under powered servos ( low Torque) for certain rigs actually can cause a servo to become Slow.
Also, many High torque servos (above 40kg's) tend to be the slower ones. From my experience. HV servos can be the exception. (BEC at 8.4v)
A 1/8 Track buggy will generally run fine with a quality high end 25 kg servo.
AMZ 25kg FanModel servos are fast enough for a Buggy. And faster than the DS3235 servos. FWIW.

Last edited:
Servo speed is very Subjective to many. What is fast spec wise, under 11 ms. Under 13ms, under 9ms? And BEC volts along with real world use is decieving.
Yet many feel the need to have the fastest servo....because they also want their whole rig to be "fastest".:LOL:
Wrong logic. Slower is more in most cases. When you see your servo turning the wheels too slow for your liking, it can also be not enough torque. Not speed being the issue. Just the wrong servo for your rig. An under powered servo will struggle to be fast. It might appear fast uninstalled on the bench when tested, but installed it can just be under powered.
Even the seasoned track guys will dial down their speed as need Too much is no good. Harder to drive/keeping a line on the track.
DS3235 ( or any 35kg servo) is fine in a TLRT. I've had real faster servos.
Fastest servo Does NOT make you any better of a driver at all.
This even works against you.
In general, for Racing, not bashing, you get the strongest and fastest servo but always dialing in the speed where it works best for a small confined Track setting. With Bashing, speed is a moot point. Under powered servos ( low Torque) for certain rigs actually can cause a servo to become Slow.
Also, many High torque servos (above 40kg's) tend to be the slower ones. From my experience. HV servos can be the exception. (BEC at 8.4v)
A 1/8 Track buggy will generally run fine with a quality high end 25 kg servo.
AMZ 25kg FanModel servos are fast enough for a Buggy. And faster than the DS3235 servos. FWIW.
I appreciate the input, but I bash my Typhon buggies on and off road. For my applications a 25kg servo is insufficient. Not usually strong enough to hold course during hard maneuvers through the grass and not quick enough when running over 70 mph on the street and having to make quick maneuvers to keep the car from. Slamming into a curb or parked car. So, I’ll take my faster, more powerful & more expensive servos any day over weaker slower ones. Also I have hit objects at over 70 mph and my protek black label servos have not broke yet. Other allegedly “35 kg” servos and stock servos have broken. So again to each his own and this was not made to be a debate. I only posted it to show the servos in my cars. Nothing more.

Been using these lately…. They go on sale occasionally and best servo I’ve found for $40

https://www.rcjuice.com/servos/serv...speed-digital-brushless-waterproof-servo.html
After using the hobbystar HBW-4717 in my Typhon 6S V5 w stock Spektrum esc set at 7.4 volts on the Wide HOONS - the ones that come stock
On the FELONY for a couple weeks primarily on the street on concrete and I can tell you that it rotates fast. However, although it is quick I feel like it either doesn’t center itself properly to center or doesn’t have the static torque to hold the position after turning and I feel like it is hard to get it the car to run straight.
Although, I am currently comparing this servo in my Typhon 6S compared to my Typhon TLR that has the Savox 2292SG. I personally feel like the Savox 2292SG is an amazing servo in the TLR in my experience. It is LOUD but I don’t care how loud it is as long as it performs like it does. It is fast and holds the position perfectly.
However, comparing this servo to the Stock Servo. In stock form although the stock servo was junk it was slower and felt like it held the position better on the road for certain.

I will try it in the stock Typhon 6S tires and see if they make any difference and also test it in grass and off road.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Protek 170tbl is waterproof. I have a feeling it might not be and wish I got the waterproof 370 version.

Doh, I guess I have to return it now and get the 370.
For what it's worth, I run all my servos in any condition even if they aren't "waterproof". Even in snow. And it's never been an issue.

That being said, I accept that if one fails from water damage it is completely my fault.

For what it's worth, I run all my servos in any condition even if they aren't "waterproof". Even in snow. And it's never been an issue.

That being said, I accept that if one fails from water damage it is completely my fault.
The 370 servo stall Amps is over 6A I noticed. Do you think that will hurt the Max6 which is rated at 6A continuous?

This is from the Max6 instructions.

Super internal switch-mode BEC with switchable voltage of 6V/7.4V and a cont. /peak current of 6A/25A for easily driving big tor que servos and high voltage servos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back