Typhon Typhon TLR tuned and mamba monster x 2200kv combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far it seems to be holding - but worse comes to worse, I'll throw a ziptie around. I'm also counting on the fact that I'll be treating it more like an e-buggy than a basher won't beat the mount up as much.

The Mamba Monster X comes with a little connector that goes between the ESC and the sensor wire. It's not attached from the factory because it was set up for sensorless operation. Make sure you didn't drop it/lose it when you opened things up.
Thx. Completely missed that. I didnt see the wire when uppacking. Now looked again. It was on the bottom of the package. Needle secured tucked away. Thought is was optional. 😃.

Feel pretty stupid now.

Last edited:
HW does the exact same with their Sensored ESC's.( best of both worlds) HW was the first to have this.
HW has both Full Sensored and Hybrid Sensored modes available. HW's Hybrid Sensored mode is equivalent to CC's Smart Sense.
How these 2 brands compare in regards to Sensored performance is probably personal preference.
I run HW sensored gear.
You're right: it all boils down to personal choice. I have used Hobbywing sensored systems in my crawlers for some time, and they are as smooth as glass. And I have a Hobbywing Max10 SCT sensorless system in a Traxxas 4-TEC road car, and it is as smooth as a sensorless system can be.

Up until a few months ago I went exclusively with Hobbywing systems when I replaced stock ESC/motor combinations. I only got into Castle systems a few months ago when I installed the Castle Copperhead SCT 3200kv system in my rock racer. I was so pleased with that system that I went with the Castle MMX 8s for my Kraton 6s. I'm sure I could have found a Hobbywing system for the Kraton that fit my needs, but I chose Castle this time.

Aren't Castle basically the only ones who make an 8s sensored system?

^^^Good observation.(y)
But I think if you are running 8s, 8s Sensored ESC's may not be justified for most rigs. There are still benefits. But gets watered down in many cases.
How I see it at least. And there really aren't many Sensored 8s upgrade motor choices out there. TP has them if custom ordered I think.:unsure:

Last edited:
HW does the exact same with their Sensored ESC's.( best of both worlds) HW was the first to have this.
HW has both Full Sensored and Hybrid Sensored modes available. HW's Hybrid Sensored mode is equivalent to CC's Smart Sense.
How these 2 brands compare in regards to Sensored performance is probably personal preference.
I run HW sensored gear.
Do you run your HW systems in full or hybrid sensored mode? I just chose full sensored assuming it was the best option. But am trying to learn.

^^^For dedicated Speed Running, I found HW Hybrid Sensored setting best.
But with my offroad rigs I use Full Hybrid.
Hybrid Sensored is basically full sensored only until you approach full throttle, then it goes "Unsensored".
So at Max sustained throttle, (pinned) the ESC becomes way more efficient and this is best for Speed Running. I noticed the difference. At least for me.
Castle ESC's also do this similarly.
Hope this helps.
:cool:

We have a lot of 1/8 buggies at our track and they almost all run 1900kv including my own MP10e

I ran 2150kv on my Truggy Talion, you see those higher kV for truggy, I guess for bigger tracks.

You want full use of your throttle range. It's harder to drive well if you have to feather the throttle all day.

We have a lot of 1/8 buggies at our track and they almost all run 1900kv including my own MP10e

I ran 2150kv on my Truggy Talion, you see those higher kV for truggy, I guess for bigger tracks.

You want full use of your throttle range. It's harder to drive well if you have to feather the throttle all day.
I agree with the feathering it makes it difficult to control. I run a 1800kv in my MP9e. It’s the kit car. How do you like the MP10e I’ve been thinking to sell MP9e and upgrade to it. But I’ve had this car for 6 years now so I would rather keep and still upgrade lol

I agree with the feathering it makes it difficult to control. I run a 1800kv in my MP9e. It’s the kit car. How do you like the MP10e I’ve been thinking to sell MP9e and upgrade to it. But I’ve had this car for 6 years now so I would rather keep and still upgrade lol
MP9 is a great car but the 10 is an upgrade for sure. We have a lot of 9s and they are all changing over. The hump packs make the car drive like magic. You can slide them forward for more steering or slide them back for more rear end traction, or you can get darn near a 50/50 weight distribution.

Yes, absolutely, get the MP10e.

Many parts transfer over....
IMG_20220507_023543.jpg
IMG_20220517_005934__01.jpg

Last edited:
MP9 is a great car but the 10 is an upgrade for sure. We have a lot of 9s and they are all changing over. The hump packs make the car drive like magic. You can slide them forward for more steering or slide them back for more rear end traction, or you can get darn near a 50/50 weight distribution.

Yes, absolutely, get the MP10e.

Many parts transfer over....
View attachment 218096View attachment 218095
Ive read that about the MP10e thanks for the info. Your buggy looks amazing and awsome setup. I think you’ve sold me on one. And I see the bodies are pretty similar which is good also! I think the 9 will eventually go for sale. My hobby shop here is stocked with the 10 parts so it makes sense

Ive read that about the MP10e thanks for the info. Your buggy looks amazing and awsome setup. I think you’ve sold me on one. And I see the bodies are pretty similar which is good also! I think the 9 will eventually go for sale. My hobby shop here is stocked with the 10 parts so it makes sense
Our shops are NOT stocked with bloody anything except traxxas.

MP10e does look good on Hoons though...

I call it the Steet Yo Sho

IMG_20220517_222515.jpg

Our shops are NOT stocked with bloody anything except traxxas.

MP10e does look good on Hoons though...

I call it the Steet Yo Sho

View attachment 218277
Ya I, lucky it’s a little shop, with a Kyosho/Tamiya enthusiast owner. But I hear you, the bigger shops here are Traxxas and Arrma if your lucky lol. Ok that does look sweet on hoons!! I’ve got the Tekno shock tool its one of those tools you didn’t know you needed until you buy it.

Thats my MP9E
CE0BE840-05F3-459F-8A88-178791346801.jpeg
153B1C91-5E28-4D89-A500-E00AE0618F62.jpeg

Last edited:
Ya I, lucky it’s a little shop, with a Kyosho/Tamiya enthusiast owner. But I hear you, the bigger shops here are Traxxas and Arrma if your lucky lol. Ok that does look sweet on hoons!! I’ve got the Tekno shock tool its one of those tools you didn’t know you needed until you buy it.

Thats my MP9EView attachment 218280View attachment 218281
Yeah I used the shock tool like all the time. Not sure why I bought it but sure glad I did!

I have that combo in my TLR Typhon. Haven’t gotten any real track time with it but the motor seems more than adequate on 4S:

View attachment 197516
Where did you get those motor mount screws? Also, do you still run this combo without a motor fan?

Most racing buggies will run 4068 size motors around 1900kv, so the 1515 2200kv will be much more motor than you need on the track.

For track running, the 1512 1800kv motor may be a better match. Castle combo's it with the much smaller Mamba X, so between the motor and ESC, you will save a decent amount of weight vs the MMX+1515.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...-w-1512-sensored-motor-cse010-0155-06/p695669
Depends on the track size, type and what Buggy Class you are racing. 2200kv/2250kv is also used. No matter the ESC brand. And Tracks only allow 4s.
I run HW XR8 Plus combo with the G3 2250kv in my TLRT. Sensored on 4s. 23/50. Runs cool. It is not geared for the track. More for wide open space. Getting 58mph. Geared down, it would run great on the track IMHO. Typhon is a lighter rig, so so you don't need the torque of a 1900kv motor.
For bashing the Typhon on 6s, everything changes.
Old thread.

Last edited:
I got both, MMX 1515-2200KV and MMX 1512-1800KV.

1515-2200KV in the Typhon TLR, 20/46 gearing on 4s. Works great for (my) track and bashing. Runs cool..

1512-1800KV in the TLR 8ight X/E 2.0. 21/47 gearing on 4s. Fastest 1/8 car on the local track, but motor runs HOT after 20ish laps (15mins)

Super happy with both combos.
I chose Castle because it's waterproof and sensored.. (its rains alot in Norway).

20221023_085147.jpg

20220930_180200.jpg

I got both, MMX 1515-2200KV and MMX 1512-1800KV.

1515-2200KV in the Typhon TLR, 20/46 gearing on 4s. Works great for (my) track and bashing. Runs cool..

1512-1800KV in the TLR 8ight X/E 2.0. 21/47 gearing on 4s. Fastest 1/8 car on the local track, but motor runs HOT after 20ish laps (15mins)

Super happy with both combos.
I chose Castle because it's waterproof and sensored.. (its rains alot in Norway).

View attachment 251668

View attachment 251669
I've noticed the serious racers are always close to over heating by the end of the race. They cannot run back to back without cool off.

I guess they want just enough motor to finish the race and no "extra fat". Overheating in 15 minutes is totally okay for 10 minute mains.

Whereas a basher may want more runtime and enough cooling to keep going.

That said, toys use castle and my racers use Tekin.

Tekin was a night and day upgrade to the castle. Just feels smoother and more predictable. Also the motor has a fraction of the drag.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back