Typhon TLR tuned shocks internals vs v5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
Would it be a good choice to get the tlr internals of the shocks and Put them in the v5 shocks? Would they be any weaker? Im not a racer so i do not understand all of the things the tlr shock does. Anyone has an input on this?

Absolutely a good bet. (y)
But the only difference would be the TLRT POM( delrin) tapered pistons that run more plush and smoother. Gives a quicker rebound In theory. That is is the only different part. Everything else is just anodized Black with TLR branding. Size and springs appear same. Shock is identical to a V5 other wise.

They are far from being similar to the v5.

Apart from the piston, the shock cartridge is derlin as well, which matches an X-ring instead of an O-ring. the cartridge is apparently thicker, so the shafts both front and rear was made 2.5mm longer to compensate for that.

Additionally the rear shock is a substantial 6mm longer than in the v5 (3mm longer body + 3mm longer shaft, actually the shaft is 5.5mm longer, but as i said above 2.5mm of that is just to compensate for the cartridge)

the longer shocks in the rear requires a taller shock tower, i wouldnt install the longer TLR shocks on a v5 tower.

Sorry I meant the meant tower shock height are different V5-TLR?
Thanks for the info on the cartridge.

Sorry I meant the meant tower shock height are different V5-TLR?
Yeah, the rear shock tower is higher, its clear from the photos.

First thing to understand is when you want to make a shock longer (because you want more option for droop) you have to make both the body and the shaft longer - as they need to match in length. The problem when you make the shock body longer and you keep the same mounting point is that the "center" of the shock (the position where the shock body ends and the shaft begins) is lowered (as the shock body is now longer), which limit your compression, so you gained droop but lost compression.

So if you want to gain droop but keep the same compression position, you basically have to make the shock twice as long as the droop you wanted to achieve (in the case of the TTLR, they wanted to make the droop 3mm longer, so the shock is 6mm longer) , and mount the shock half the length higher (3mm), so now the position of the center of the shock is kept, and the droop is bigger.

Hope that was clear.

@Yonic, great find.

Last week i looked at the TLR at my LHS and the feel of the suspension is butter smooth, i see why now, missed the x-rings and the new seal guides.

1633589461804.png

Last edited:

First thing to understand is when you want to make a shock longer (because you want more option for droop) you have to make both the body and the shaft longer - as they need to match in length. The problem when you make the shock body longer and you keep the same mounting point is that the "center" of the shock (the position where the shock body ends and the shaft begins) is lowered (as the shock body is now longer), which limit your compression, so you gained droop but lost compression.

So if you want to gain droop but keep the same compression position, you basically have to make the shock twice as long as the droop you wanted to achieve (in the case of the TTLR, they wanted to make the droop 3mm longer, so the shock is 6mm longer) , and mount the shock half the length higher (3mm), so now the position of the center of the shock is kept, and the droop is bigger.

Hope that was clear.
So only the pistons would work on the v5? And the x ring and POM inserts wouldnt bit becausE the cartridge of the v5 shocks is too small?

Hope that was clear.
Can you repeat this in English :ROFLMAO: I cannot brain today I has teh dumb.

So only the pistons would work on the v5? And the x ring and POM inserts wouldnt bit becausE the cartridge of the v5 shocks is too small?
I just double checked all the TLRT parts. Every single part found on the TLR tuned shocks will crossover to any 6s shocks. Note: New X-rings and POM bottom cartridge parts need to be used together, but will fit the standard 6s Red shocks. As will the POM (delrin) Pistons.
Just that all TLR parts are not available yet with any pricing.
They are far from being similar to the v5.

Apart from the piston, the shock cartridge is derlin as well, which matches an X-ring instead of an O-ring. the cartridge is apparently thicker, so the shafts both front and rear was made 2.5mm longer to compensate for that.

Additionally the rear shock is a substantial 6mm longer than in the v5 (3mm longer body + 3mm longer shaft, actually the shaft is 5.5mm longer, but as i said above 2.5mm of that is just to compensate for the cartridge)

the longer shocks in the rear requires a taller shock tower, i wouldnt install the longer TLR shocks on a v5 tower.
Aside from the rear tower geometry, all the shock parts are interchangeable. As crossover parts.
The tower geometry can work if the shocks are dialed appropriately and you have the complete hingepin Pill setup to complement these towers. But all TLRT parts will fit any 6s rig if you so choose. They are listed as option parts much like many of the EXB parts are listed.
Just check with Arrma's site.
Don't take my word for it.;)

Edit: there is nothing Team Losi about the TLR typhon except the TLR branding. A mere upsell based on TLR Branding which is owned by HH. Just marketting.
Many YT'er reviews have made that misconception to flaunt this TLR Typhon.
And that is just what HH wanted. The false hype. So HH will get some return $$ by using a TLR label.
TLR had nothing to do with these TLR parts. Arrma UK created the parts design. HH made sure TLR was branded all over. The Arrma brand alone could never inspire A Race Ready Arrma product.
TLRT is just a fancy Roller. A nice one.
Just it's not even remotely anything to do with TLR at all.
It is a very loose design of a DEX8 Durango. First and foremost.:cool:

Edit:
It would seem redundant to expect a TLRT Typhon to compete as a legitimate Race rig against a Real TLR rig on any serious sanctioned
competition level. I am sure the avid TLR rig guys heavy into racing are cringing at the site of this TLRT Typhon as a Reace Ready rig. Tarnishing the TLR name. But HH only has exclusive control over this.
So in reality, the TLRT Typhon is not any serious contender. Wasn't expected to be.
It is a nicer grade Typhon at a very inexpensive price point. A good deal. I feel just marketted wrong. Only because I aint falling for the "TLR Tuned" hype.

Last edited:
^^^ Been there seen that all. Just marketting and some minor Arrma UK tweaks. :LOL:
I have the TLRT sitting here. Will give it my best setup and see what it does. It really is a good deal for someone wanting a Typhon Roller.

I saw one in my hobbyshop today it looks sick but i would have loved instead it to be exb marketed.its a roller and it would come to the same price Of the v5 typhon if you get The electronics from jennyrcs. But what are the wear/durability of those tuned parts in the long run like the plastic caps. You could buy the typhon v5 put the tlr shock towers and body and kraton wing mount and ur pretty much there
Its all very confusing for a basher all of this

What mm is the shock rod end on the tlr shocks. I'm trying to find some aluminum ones to upgrade if y'all know any.

I already bought some yr m3 rod ends and they don't Fit. Fit my 1/10 scale shocks tho.

A7963EA6-E7A2-48BB-A169-4B2E0B3A3E53.jpeg

21526EBA-B66F-45A0-B9F6-41A3697BC9BC.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back