Typhon V4 GRP advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evil-T

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I’m after a set of GRP’s for my Typhon, road racing and not speed runs.

Loved them on an XO-1 I had a go with but unsure of compound and they were the 1/5 scale so had the square hub adaptors.

Now for my use which compound would you advise?

And as I’m not speed running would you go 1/5 with adaptors or 1/8 on stock?

Thanks

I think compound choice will have a lot to do with, where you are..?? hot climate or cold and what sort of running are you doing..??

Smooth road or dirty etc..

Have a look here they explain the differences... http://www.grpgandini.it/tyres/1-8-gt/t01-revo.html

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be here soon..??

I bought a pair of Atomic Mediums and they lasted 2 packs before being nearly bald in the front, ambient temp 22c.
Would not recommend unless you're rich lol.

I think compound choice will have a lot to do with, where you are..?? hot climate or cold and what sort of running are you doing..??

Smooth road or dirty etc..

Have a look here they explain the differences... http://www.grpgandini.it/tyres/1-8-gt/t01-revo.html

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be here soon..??

U.K based so weather!!! Your guess is as good as mine! We sun bath in February and put the heating on in June haha

12-18 with highs of 20 (said in my weather mans voice)

Use will be road and carparks so not super smooth but decent traction, looking for a decent compromise between grip and wear.

I would go with a higher compound if you want them to last and can sacrifice a little bit of traction. Also, I would choose slicks so there is the most rubber possible. I would stick with the 1/8 scale since absolute top speed isn’t important.

1/8 S7 Slicks

I would go with a higher compound if you want them to last and can sacrifice a little bit of traction. Also, I would choose slicks so there is the most rubber possible. I would stick with the 1/8 scale since absolute top speed isn’t important.

1/8 S7 Slicks

Just noted the 1/8 are suitable width but the 1/5 are better in dia, with the 1/5 do you need adaptors as well as spacers for hub clearance

Stock
Width 44mm
Overall dia 117mm

1/8 GRP
Width 41mm
Overall dia 98mm

1/5 GRP
Width 65mm
Overall dia 118mm

Just noted the 1/8 are suitable width but the 1/5 are better in dia, with the 1/5 do you need adaptors as well as spacers for hub clearance

Stock
Width 44mm
Overall dia 117mm

1/8 GRP
Width 41mm
Overall dia 98mm

1/5 GRP
Width 65mm
Overall dia 118mm

The rims are the same size. Stock tires have more sidewall. The GRPs are basically rubber on rim. I don’t think there’s even foam. They are solid.

Compound choice is a very difficult thing... I can say that my S3s are wearing fast. A few power slides and hard use they get very sticky to the point where I was able to pull a wheelie on them recently with a stretched chassis Typhon. I can noticeably see the rubber beading up and some removed on the edges of the contact patch like you see on race car tires.
I would think for general use and consideration for longevity you may want to consider something between the S5 and S7 range. The tires are good (treaded version) even until you can't see the tread blocks anymore. (unlike traditional 1:1 car tires)

Ideally you may want to do something like s3 - winter and s7 summer.

I would probably avoid the 1/5 scale tires unless you really like the look.

I would think for general use and consideration for longevity you may want to consider something between the S5 and S7 range. The tires are good (treaded version) even until you can't see the tread blocks anymore. (unlike traditional 1:1 car tires)

I would probably avoid the 1/5 scale tires unless you really like the look.
@Evil-T that above is basically what I would have said. ;)
I run S3 compound on my speed runs but if you were hooning around with them then they wouldn't last all that long at all. I'd say maybe start with the S7's and go lower if you find they're not grippy enough for you (they will take longer to warm up mind).

Personal opinion but I'd forget the 1/5th scale tyres as they're heavier, double the cost and not a direct fit so you'd need adapters as well.
Up to you though of course.

I buy my GRP's here from Trackside Spares: https://www.tracksidespares.co.uk/?product_cat=&post_type=product&s=grp
(y)

Lots of good advice in here. I personally have my Typhon setup for more handling/road race. I have one set of the 1/8th and 1/5th scale versions of the treaded GRP's in the S4 and S5 compounds which work well for grip when running on common streets and parking lots. I also have a set of the slick 1/8th S7's for drifting/powersliding which have held up well. Personally I love the 1/5th scale wheels on the Typhon because they just make it look super mean and aggressive, but it's not for everyone.. As others have mentioned it's more expensive.. I will say due to the larger tread on the 1/5 scale tires and the larger sidewall size the 1/5th scales do keep rpm's and heat down, and they don't wear as fast. If you're looking for 1/5th scale adapters I went with the Alza Racing because they used smaller hardware to attach the wheels compared to other adapters and provided a cleaner look, and the quality of the machining and fit is excellent. If it helps, here's a few pics of my V4 Typhon with the 1/5th scale conversion.

Attachments

• 20190503_215213_resized.jpg
    20190503_215213_resized.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 137
  • 20190517_203843_1558140572246_resized.jpg
    20190517_203843_1558140572246_resized.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190519_201816_1559135044018_resized.jpg
    20190519_201816_1559135044018_resized.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 135
So it looks like S5's if you just want to just hoon around in the street or carparks etc..??

But what's the best tread pattern for the above... Slicks or Treads..??

So it looks like S5's if you just want to just hoon around in the street or carparks etc..??

I personally like the treaded ones a little better because to me they gave better grip when running in the street and being exposed to things like small pieces of gravel, pebbles, different pavement, concrete, Etc...

I personally like the slick because they give you maximum rubber. No threads cut out of them. ??‍♂️

Slicks, if your going for performance.. More rubber on the road. Compound choice depends on where your running, with hot weather and smooth asphalt the S1 to S3 will heat up quicker and grip better but wear more.. S3/S4 compound has less traction but better wear, S5 and above compound hold up well in really hot weather but slide around a lot if your just street bashing. For cold weather I would go with a S1 to S3. though GRP's are not really good for cold weather at all

I’m after a set of GRP’s for my Typhon, road racing and not speed runs.

Loved them on an XO-1 I had a go with but unsure of compound and they were the 1/5 scale so had the square hub adaptors.

Now for my use which compound would you advise?

And as I’m not speed running would you go 1/5 with adaptors or 1/8 on stock?

Thanks
Its my favorite tire!!!
129100982_10225213077502707_3234639983793916969_o.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back