Typhon Typhon v5 LVC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4inbrain

Reaction score
Hey,

took delivery of me new Typhon v5 yesterday and noticed that there's no adjustment for the LVC voltage. The only information i can find is that the retail Firma 150 has it, the Typhon doesn't. So what is it set to then?

I remember that my DBXL-E 2.0 from factory was set to 3.0v, which cost me a 4s pack - couldn't get it to balance right again afterwards, with cells dropping below 2.95v.

What am i looking at here?

Thanks in advance.

Think the new 6S trucks are set at 3.3, or 3.4 from factory. Not 100 % sure on that but don't see it set lower than that.

Definitely raise it up to 3.2 or 3.4 per cell. Not sure why it comes set so low from the factory but it Definitely hurts lipos
Think the new 6S trucks are set at 3.3, or 3.4 from factory. Not 100 % sure on that but don't see it set lower than that.
I had 3 firma 150's all were set at 3.0 from factory

Well, the issue here is that i can't actually adjust the LVC.

1618408657800.png

I could adjust it on my DBXL-E 2.0, and you can adjust it on the retail Firma 150 - but apparently not in this rig. I have no actual idea what it's set to.

Yeah, it seems disabled on the Arrma cars. I tried reflashing the firmware and that didn’t restore it.

you might want to add a LiPo alarm to observe the voltage when LVC kicks in

Well, that answers my second question, i was gonna reflash the ESC but apparently now that doesn't work either.

Not gonna lie, that's a bit of a crapshow honestly. I will run a LiPo Alarm, but not by choice - but because my £520 (effing $715) RC is missing the most basic safety setting that an RC has.

Not impressed with this Firma stuff, wasn't in my DBXL-E, wasn't in my DB Pro - but this one is even worse, on the others i could at least change the LVC - it's on me that i didn't realise they were set to a moronic 3v per cell. Basically leaves me to void my fricking warranty by selling the Firma and getting a Max8 which sports such advanced settings like "don't make my batteries go poof".

Per manual, all 130s and 150s are set to 3v. That's factory setting.

That's why i'm concerned, i can't change my LVC settings, if they left it on 3v (and, to be clear, there's no info on that in the documentation) i constantly have to check myself rather than relying on the RC to not ruin my batteries.

A bit of a step back.

Per manual, all 130s and 150s are set to 3v. That's factory setting.

That's why i'm concerned, i can't change my LVC settings, if they left it on 3v (and, to be clear, there's no info on that in the documentation) i constantly have to check myself rather than relying on the RC to not ruin my batteries.

A bit of a step back.
I agree 100%.. not sure why it's so low. Lost 2 batteries because the 130 in my losi lmt was at 3.0. But I could least adjust it. Locking that feature is a huge mistake

There is no setting on the 150 ESC for LVC.
There is no 3.0V setting either. Simply has none. Good, bad, indifferent. Keep in mind this was designed with telemetry in mind.
Also, there is not one ESC out there that gets it right, use a Lipo alarm. They all measure only the total voltage and take a swag. There is no ESC on the market that truly cares about cell voltage levels.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/firma-programming-list.33726/

Oddly enough they show a setting for the 130 version which is not available on the free market i.e. Horizon site.

Edit, the individual cell voltage might actually work if you are using all SMART batteries. Forgot about that little detail.

Last edited:
There is no setting on the 150 ESC for LVC.
There is no 3.0V setting either. Simply has none. Good, bad, indifferent. Keep in mind this was designed with telemetry in mind.
Also, there is not one ESC out there that gets it right, use a Lipo alarm. They all measure only the total voltage and take a swag. There is no ESC on the market that truly cares about cell voltage levels.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/firma-programming-list.33726/

Oddly enough they show a setting for the 130 version which is not available on the free market i.e. Horizon site.

Edit, the individual cell voltage might actually work if you are using all SMART batteries. Forgot about that little detail.
Well you definitely can set it on the 130 because I did it

Only issue with 130A is that you can't actuially buy one on the open market. Maybe in the near future.
130A - Yes
150A - No
160A - Yes

Clipboard02.jpg

I think there is indeed an automatic LVC, set to 3.4V and it's non adjustable.

I say this as my V5 Typhon does exactly this, it cuts out and when I use my battery checker the lipo reads approx 3.4V per cell. It did this on its factory firmware of B2.11 and still does it now that I've updated to B2.18.

This is confirmed within the documents found on the Horizon website.

IMG_20210417_132305.jpg

@Funky Which ECS are you referencing?
None of the Avian ESC's are in this discussion. Those are the Heli ESC's. Your highlight is below 'Avian only'.

I simply can't tell you what the 'LVC' is on a Firma 1150. There is no documentation.
If your cell is at 3.4V after recovery and ESC shutdown, the LVC under load is probably right around 3V.
Keep in mind that the Lipo is already damaged at that point i.e. you do not ever want to see anything below 3.6V or you are buying a lot of Lipos.
In real usable capacity, the difference between 3.0 and 3.4V is probably 5s with motor load i.e. we are splitting hairs.

I'm referring to the Spectrum Firma 150A ESC as found in the stock Typhon V5.

My lipos are still going strong, I think 3.4V is absolutely fine. 3.2V is the level that you don't want to drop below, so 3.4V provides some leeway. 3.6V is way too cautious in my opinion.

I've still got lipos that are 8 years old that run well, for their age, and have always run them down to somewhere between 3.2V and 3.4V per cell. I'll take a photo of my oldest lipo, it'll make you laugh...

Turnigy purchased in 2013. Used with a 3S car equipped with a Dynamite Fuze ESC programmed to 3.4V cutoff.

Still balanced to this day, and IR is low given its use and age, at around 10mΩ per cell.

It's beat up but still packs punch and lasts around 15 to 20 minutes.

The trick is to storage charge them and allow a cool down period between both use after a fresh charge, and charging after use.

IMG20210417135859.jpg

ESCs constantly monitor voltage, probably at least twice per second, so an LVC of 3.4V is quite safe. Lipos can be run down to 3.2V without harm, but not a millivolt more than that.

My Typhon with Firma 150 is definitely cutting out at 3.4V (ish) per cell. I know the documentation specifies Avian products however I believe it also applies to Firma.

Retail boxed Firma 150 here. No way to set it, no new firmware to allow it. Tried with card and pc. Low voltage puffs, imbalances, and ruins Lipos. I want that cutoff, damnit!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back