Typhon Typhon with Talion wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dex79

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the noob questions but is it possible to fit Talion wheels straight onto a Typhon to make it a little more rough surface capable?

I'm looking at getting a Typhon as i will run a lot on pavement/smoother dirt areas but have a great jump spot available but I think it will probably be to rough for the smaller wheels.

I've seen the topics with the Krayton hubs to make a mini monster truck but just wondered if it can be done with a straight swap to truggy size wheels.
If it's not possible just to swap wheels how realistic is it to chop and change between wheels changing all the parts back and forth and are you better off using Krayton parts and go to monster truck wheels or are truggy size wheels just as good for large jumps?

These are standard racing truggy wheels. They ran great, but if I got on the throttle with the wheels turned, they grab the body when they balloon. I had a lot of fun running/bashing like this, but I needed to gear down due to heat. I dropped from a 16 to a 14, but have not tried them recently.

2016-09-23 14.21.58 (Small).jpg
2016-09-23 14.22.07 (Small).jpg

That's great thanks just what I was looking for.
I guess it gives a little more ground clearance for rougher conditions?

Were you running 6s or 4s? I wonder if i could get away without so much ballooning on 4s and maybe not so much heat problems?

That was on 4s, but with a 16t pinion and a 4268 2350kv Trackstar motor. So yeah, ballooning. :)

It did give a bit more ground clearance, and it also gave a lot more 'float' over grass and rough ground. Plus wheelies... LOL that Trackstar motor has some torque.

Did you need to use some offset adapter (how long?) for these to not rub the body or arms when turning?
If not, do you know the offset of these wheels?

Thanks but I just want the bare minimum to put truggy tires, not MT ones (that's a separate car). Are the adapyter you linked no over the top for this? Or could I use truggy wheels with some offset (how much?)
The wheels i have are only 2.8 prolines. Truggy wheels are bigger. The 2.8 need the extra width or the rims rub the hubs.
The hexes i linked come in different widths so you just need to figure out how much offset you need? Just look up team associated hexes and you should find the different ones :)

If you run at high speeds, you need to use a very solid differential oil of 300k or higher, otherwise it will tear down your center differential.

The wheels i have are only 2.8 prolines. Truggy wheels are bigger. The 2.8 need the extra width or the rims rub the hubs.
The hexes i linked come in different widths so you just need to figure out how much offset you need? Just look up team associated hexes and you should find the different ones :)

Looks like I need shims, there is play with the stock pin and the new pin won't fit. Do you know he size needed? I don't want to drill out the holes.

Looks like I need shims, there is play with the stock pin and the new pin won't fit. Do you know he size needed? I don't want to drill out the holes.
Theres a little bit of play in mine too using the stock pins. Ive just left it... Hasnt been a problem so far. Bearings still all good and the hexes arent wearing in the pin holes or anything.

Theres a little bit of play in mine too using the stock pins. Ive just left it... Hasnt been a problem so far. Bearings still all good and the hexes arent wearing in the pin holes or anything.
ditto, the pin is slack but the collar is keeping them in place with no error so far. I have however noticed that my tyres have gone sloppy again.. even with tape applied inside?!

I never taped mine.... The fronts balloon a fair bit but not so much on the back.
Im starting to notice a lack of rear grip now with the trenchers even tho the tread is still good. Might have to get some mx28's and give them a crack :cool:

Thanks for all the info on going up on tire size with the Typhon. After getting one of mine crushed by a van this week (my bad driving, not the van's!), I was thinking it may be time to make the jump from the stock 3.3" diameter wheels at 1.7" wide (https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR550027) to 3.8" wheels at 2.5" wide from the previous Talion model (https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR550026). Thankfully I found this thread first! But instead of investing ~$20 for four new wheel hexes with a larger offset, I was wondering if it may instead be sufficient to just get wheels with a built-in 1/2" offset, such as these from Duratrax (https://www.hobbytown.com/duratrax-posse-1-8-truggy-tire-c2-mntd-1-2-offset-wht-2-dtxc3667/p642374). Am I making a bad assumption that all these 3.8" Truggy tires are the same width, so the 1/2" wheel offset means only 0.3" extra width facing the inside of the vehicle?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back