Typhon Typhon XL X , TP 4070CM 2900kv , long term review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btosic

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So, after two long term reviews for high performance Kraton, it is time for high performance Typhon review.

Setup is:
Arrma Typhon V3 6S
Kraton long chassis
Castle XL X ESC
TP Power 4070CM 2900kv motor
Castel 8mm bullets: ESC, motor and LiPo
Graphene Panther 6S 75C 5.000mAh LiPo
Nichicon caps 8x2200uF
27/36 pinion/spool
Internal shiming with Mugen shims, external with Tekno shims
Industrial grade NSK bearings
Alu servo mount, braces and diff mount
2000cst oil in all shocks
Lithium grease in F&R diff boxes
GRP belted slics(soft and medium)

Typhon has straight cut diff spur, this setup is not critical in lateral forces like a spiral cut(Kraton...), but it is very critical in longitudinal forces, so make sure you have perfect mesh and no longitudal play in diff pinion. If done properly, Typhon can take this amount of torque and power.

For TP 4070CM 2900kv cap pack is necessary. Here is a log to ilustrate. Graphene Panther(new) 5.000mAh, fully charged, with no cap pack, only 71% of gently loaded throttle and the ripple is 3,4V !!! Motor was pulling more then 255A and more then 5,5KW of power, this motor is the best I have ever tested, but it is very hard on ESC.

Long chassis helps stability, car is predictable and easy to control. Only thing to be careful is torque, no matter how fast the car is going, you can't squeeze the throttle, if you load it linear car is fast and stable.

TP 4070CM 2900kv is "D" motor, so correct timing is "Low". Motor has nice large 8mm bearings, very available(many high quality options) and not expensive. Motor is heavy and makes nice balance with larger batteries. Having that in mind ESC should be placed in centre.

I do some speed runs, but I am more and more interested in drag runs(on rubber tires). I haven't had many problems with the car. Everything said about Kraton stands: dogbones, diff end cups, driveshafts, pinions(I always point to Robinson Racing as they realy can endure much abuse) will suffer and fail here and there but nothing to be afraid about.

At the end, I must say once again, my humble opinion is that Typhon is the best Arrma car, very capable for on road and off road tasks. There is absolutely no other RTR 1/8 car that can endure 9KW of power out of the box, just with minor upgrades. You can "trugyfy" it or you can set it for speed(drag) demon with very reasonable amount of money. I like to say you can't buy 150Mph in any other form for USD 1.000.

Disclaimer: I don't own Infraction or Limitless or Mojave, so take my "Best Arrma car" opinion with some reserve.

Fell free to ask anything, will be happy to help.

20190914_142936.jpg
20190914_143126.jpg
No Caps.jpg

So, after two long term reviews for high performance Kraton, it is time for high performance Typhon review.

Setup is:
Arrma Typhon V3 6S
Kraton long chassis
Castle XL X ESC
TP Power 4070CM 2900kv motor
Castel 8mm bullets: ESC, motor and LiPo
Graphene Panther 6S 75C 5.000mAh LiPo
Nichicon caps 8x2200uF
27/36 pinion/spool
Internal shiming with Mugen shims, external with Tekno shims
Industrial grade NSK bearings
Alu servo mount, braces and diff mount
2000cst oil in all shocks
Lithium grease in F&R diff boxes
GRP belted slics(soft and medium)

Typhon has straight cut diff spur, this setup is not critical in lateral forces like a spiral cut(Kraton...), but it is very critical in longitudinal forces, so make sure you have perfect mesh and no longitudal play in diff pinion. If done properly, Typhon can take this amount of torque and power.

For TP 4070CM 2900kv cap pack is necessary. Here is a log to ilustrate. Graphene Panther(new) 5.000mAh, fully charged, with no cap pack, only 71% of gently loaded throttle and the ripple is 3,4V !!! Motor was pulling more then 255A and more then 5,5KW of power, this motor is the best I have ever tested, but it is very hard on ESC.

Long chassis helps stability, car is predictable and easy to control. Only thing to be careful is torque, no matter how fast the car is going, you can't squeeze the throttle, if you load it linear car is fast and stable.

TP 4070CM 2900kv is "D" motor, so correct timing is "Low". Motor has nice large 8mm bearings, very available(many high quality options) and not expensive. Motor is heavy and makes nice balance with larger batteries. Having that in mind ESC should be placed in centre.

I do some speed runs, but I am more and more interested in drag runs(on rubber tires). I haven't had many problems with the car. Everything said about Kraton stands: dogbones, diff end cups, driveshafts, pinions(I always point to Robinson Racing as they realy can endure much abuse) will suffer and fail here and there but nothing to be afraid about.

At the end, I must say once again, my humble opinion is that Typhon is the best Arrma car, very capable for on road and off road tasks. There is absolutely no other RTR 1/8 car that can endure 9KW of power out of the box, just with minor upgrades. You can "trugyfy" it or you can set it for speed(drag) demon with very reasonable amount of money. I like to say you can't buy 150Mph in any other form for USD 1.000.

Disclaimer: I don't own Infraction or Limitless or Mojave, so take my "Best Arrma car" opinion with some reserve.

Fell free to ask anything, will be happy to help.

View attachment 48305View attachment 48306View attachment 48307
What a great build.
How did the ripple look once you added a cap pack.

Il be changing over from stock.typhon to stretched over winter months.

Also im looking for another TP.
I think around 2350 kv, tp4070, run on 6s.

Cheers

Thank you.
Ripple was in 10% tolerance, 1,9 - 2,1 max.
Real ripple solution is 6.000mAh Graphene Panther battery, there is significant ripple reduction compared to 5.000mAh Graphene Panther.

If I would choose new motor I would go lower KV, TP 4070CM 2900KV is an amp monster and very hard od ESC. Next generation of ESC maybe will be able to push that motor to its limits. Under load it will draw 370+ amps on 6S and that is really challenging even for XL X.

I mainly use TP 4050CM.

I would go lower KV, TP 4070CM 2900KV is an amp monster and very hard od ESC
I agree, the 2900 is a drag motor for 3 sec or less pulls. For speed runs without damaging an esc, there are other choices, but at the end of the day it's all about the PB.

I must agree with Leo from Kill Mode(ono of the guys that know their thing), TP 4070CM 2900KV is the motor to go, for speed runs and for drag runs. It will push the car like no other, and you won't need long road to hit 130+ mph, i was shocked when I turned on telemetry on Gopro video, acceleration is mental.
But ESC bottlenecks the thing, if Castle push some new 1/5 hardware more capable and with better heat properties, I think that sky is the limit with 2900KV.

Is this something I could run with a 150amp esc on a basher like big rock???? I want up grade motor for some more torque but don't think like a 2050 is need
Probably something between 2400 and 2900 I would imagine make her a ripper on 4s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back