Tyre Venting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrmigo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Is it best to tyre vent & seal off rim vents? If so just 2x tyre vents in-line with rim vents? Running stock Copperhead 2s on Kraton 6s V5.
cheers

Arrma has not always vented all tires and something seeing now. So you will need to vent it yourself and maybe in time, they will have it done for all their rigs.

So if i drive in wet conditions, should i leave them unvented?

i do 3 holes And seal the vents.
learned the hard way to do this after a bash in the sand, ended up with tires full of sand
How many holes depends on how large your holes are. (2) 1/8 " holes are good for me. 180 degrees opposed. Holes too larger can cause the tires to rip at the holes. Been there.
But yes, always tape off the vents. Part of the reason you vent the tires at the center tread. Removing the holes at the wheels. Which works against you.

So if i drive in wet conditions, should i leave them unvented?

Most importantly you want to keep the inside foam dry or a way to spin out the water. If you drive in wet conditions and they are not vented externally, tape the inside holes with something like gorilla tape to keep water out.

If you have them vented, you should already have taped the inside holes. In this case with water....hmm this is tricky. Water will find a way in being vented but it also allows the water to spin out from the vented holes. You will never get all the water out if they get really soaked and destroy the tire foam.

I would prefer to have a set for water and a set for bashing that never sees water.

Yes leave them unvented and tape the inside holes to keep the water out. Leaving the inside holes not taped water gets in but there is no way out with the inside holes.

I tape the inside holes and drill or melt 4 1/8" outside holes 90° apart or some approximation that may be up to 30° off depending on level of intoxication. A rotary tool on high speed works far better than a drill for this purpose.

+1
I sometimes use a suitable size Awl over a flame and melt 2 holes. The holes are neater for me.
And I rather melt the foam inside over ripping it, if I go in too far. I have drilled holes only to have the foam pulling out. The Foam becomes short lived getting blowouts. Small holes are best 1/8". I tried many sizes. Holes don't have to be larger. Works against you also. Bigger holes won't make the tire Balloon any less. They still balloon no matter what. Just more evenly IMHO.

Last edited:
Im not sure
Most importantly you want to keep the inside foam dry or a way to spin out the water. If you drive in wet conditions and they are not vented externally, tape the inside holes with something like gorilla tape to keep water out.

If you have them vented, you should already have taped the inside holes. In this case with water....hmm this is tricky. Water will find a way in being vented but it also allows the water to spin out from the vented holes. You will never get all the water out if they get really soaked and destroy the tire foam.

I would prefer to have a set for water and a set for bashing that never sees water.

Yes leave them unvented and tape the inside holes to keep the water out. Leaving the inside holes not taped water gets in but there is no way out with the inside holes.

There are no inside holes on my track.

You mean inside holes on the wheel???
If so, when there are no wheel vents at the wheels, usually the tire is already vented at the tread in two places. Look closely at the tread. The holes are small. Double check first. Arrma does this with a few tires now. If there are NO vents anywhere, usually it is a cheap tire/wheel . Or it is an On road Belted tire. No need to vent those. Leave as is. All Belted tires should be left alone. Venting at the tread will damage the belts. Mfr's usually consider this in their Belted design.

What exact wheel and tire is this?
Are you sure there are no Holes/Vents on the tread at all. It's usually at one or the other. 2 vents on the wheel or 2 at the treads. Belted tires would possibly be the only exception to this.

I have tried a solder iron, drill bit, copper tube heated... By far the quickest and easies method was using this general purpose bit found in my dremel kit. It dives right into the tire but doesn't snag it and try to rip it out of your hand and will allow you to make the hole larger.

1649190245815.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back