Mojave UDR wheels on Mojo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chime in @MFM and @aametzger

I'm going to go with the 3.8 Trenchers. MFM says the Badlands balloon more that the Trenchers. I think they fit with adjusting body mounts.
i have the trenchers lp and they don't ballon too bad, but even with the body mounts up at highest i had to trim the body to create clearance

I'll chime in on this one.

In terms of aluminum wheels, they do not place undue burden on the drivetrain; the finger on the throttle is what causes damage. I run a varying number of beadlock wheels on a handful of different desert racing buggy platforms, and I have not found any extra wear on drivetrain from these.

As for the increased weight of the wheel and rotating mass; for sure on paper that is a real thing. Unless you're on the track, you will not notice it, and more so I'm not sure how it would "hinder" bashing enjoyment. When I put beadlocks on my Nomad, I did notice that it wasn't as quick out of corners on the race track, but the benefit I gained from the different tire options made it worth the trade off. This is a 4s / 2000 kV system

The Mojave is grossly over powered and a pig of a design, and I just don't see that wheel weight making much of an impact on that system.

What beadlocks do is open up a much wider range of tire choices for specific platforms. Unfortunately the Mojave is like many other platforms, build around the 2.2 / 3.0 wheels setup. That means you will need specific 2.2 / 3.0 beadlocks, and not like the standard 2.2 beadlocks with hub extensions, and there are far fewer tire choices for the dire dimensions that will work.

The real issue is the brute power of the Mojave on 6s and the type of tires that will withstand the abuse. I was researching some tire options for my Nomad DB-8, and I wanted to run a Hyrax from the UDR line to have a tough, fast tire for our desert track.

The regular Hyrax crawler tire is too soft, but the UDR tire is an unusual 2.2 / 3.0 and only fits specific wheels made for UDR tires and not a standard 2.2 / 3.0 wheel.

So I ordered UDR wheels from Proline Racing and a set of their Hyrax tires for the UDR. From there I removed the splines from the inside of the hex, then opened up the hole to allow for my larger 17mm hub. Then I had to remove some of the decorative plastic from the face of the wheel to allow the locking nut to tighten.

It took a little bit of time, but the end result is pretty decent.

Here are a few photos, one with Hyrad / UDR wheel and the other Motoworx Beadlock wheels. I beat on these beadlock wheels pretty hard for a number of track sessions, and they were excellent.
Nomad beadlock small 2.jpg
Nomad Beadlock Small.jpg
Nomad with Hyrax Small.jpg

I'll chime in on this one.

In terms of aluminum wheels, they do not place undue burden on the drivetrain; the finger on the throttle is what causes damage. I run a varying number of beadlock wheels on a handful of different desert racing buggy platforms, and I have not found any extra wear on drivetrain from these.

As for the increased weight of the wheel and rotating mass; for sure on paper that is a real thing. Unless you're on the track, you will not notice it, and more so I'm not sure how it would "hinder" bashing enjoyment. When I put beadlocks on my Nomad, I did notice that it wasn't as quick out of corners on the race track, but the benefit I gained from the different tire options made it worth the trade off. This is a 4s / 2000 kV system

The Mojave is grossly over powered and a pig of a design, and I just don't see that wheel weight making much of an impact on that system.

What beadlocks do is open up a much wider range of tire choices for specific platforms. Unfortunately the Mojave is like many other platforms, build around the 2.2 / 3.0 wheels setup. That means you will need specific 2.2 / 3.0 beadlocks, and not like the standard 2.2 beadlocks with hub extensions, and there are far fewer tire choices for the dire dimensions that will work.

The real issue is the brute power of the Mojave on 6s and the type of tires that will withstand the abuse. I was researching some tire options for my Nomad DB-8, and I wanted to run a Hyrax from the UDR line to have a tough, fast tire for our desert track.

The regular Hyrax crawler tire is too soft, but the UDR tire is an unusual 2.2 / 3.0 and only fits specific wheels made for UDR tires and not a standard 2.2 / 3.0 wheel.

So I ordered UDR wheels from Proline Racing and a set of their Hyrax tires for the UDR. From there I removed the splines from the inside of the hex, then opened up the hole to allow for my larger 17mm hub. Then I had to remove some of the decorative plastic from the face of the wheel to allow the locking nut to tighten.

It took a little bit of time, but the end result is pretty decent.

Here are a few photos, one with Hyrad / UDR wheel and the other Motoworx Beadlock wheels. I beat on these beadlock wheels pretty hard for a number of track sessions, and they were excellent. View attachment 108594View attachment 108595View attachment 108596

If Proline would be making a variant of the HYRAX UDR for standard 2,2/3,0" SC Wheels that would be a great option as you can use this tire on multiple wheels and have your choice of wheels - plastic or alu ....

would make sense as their are lots of mojaves and no tire option with near stock dimensions and capable of 6s.. would also be a nice option for truggyfied typhons or even the 3s/4s line. imho

I like that setup on the Mojave, and will have a set of those for my EXB Mojave when it gets ordered. Right now I'm still swamped with the Losi Lasernut project.

I keep looking at the Baja Rey 2.0, but I know the Mojave is a better platform in just about every way.

s

I like that setup on the Mojave, and will have a set of those for my EXB Mojave when it gets ordered. Right now I'm still swamped with the Losi Lasernut project.

I keep looking at the Baja Rey 2.0, but I know the Mojave is a better platform in just about every way.

s
I’m really diggin that losi too. I know my style or beasting and I can easily see me ripping that rear trailing arm biz right off. Or at least breaking it! If ur all bout scale looks over functionality then I’d go there but I’m all bout beast mode 100% lol.

I’m rocking the trenchers. Beatin em pretty hard on my mojo and they’re hanging in pretty well
Still liking these as an option or have you moved on to something else? How would you say it handles vs stock tires? Don't really jump my mojave much, more of running around dirt tracks.

Still liking these as an option or have you moved on to something else? How would you say it handles vs stock tires? Don't really jump my mojave much, more of running around dirt tracks.
They’re still pretty much my go to wheels. I’m trying the dura Max six pack belted now and will report back once the weather cooperates.
happy thxgvn y’all

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back