Mojave Uh Oh! Trouble in Mojave exb paradise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheez

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Nero
  4. Senton 3s
Any other Mojave exb owners having this problem? Not enough clearance between rear hubs and rims.

2A43508D-62E5-478D-8653-CBC838D15659.jpeg

15213086-0220-40C2-87D3-14346C49F9E2.jpeg

I've driven multiple versions of the Mojave really hard and have had minimal rubbing. Barely noticeable. This seems extreme!

On dry conditions there is zero problems. Wet sand and dirt start to collect up inside the rim and the sand eats up the hub and wheel.
^^^ In the above picture directly above^^^ What is that threaded hole doing in your hub????? What purpose could that possibly be for? ?‍♂️
Doesn't look proper.?‍♂️

I drilled the hole and i can lubricate the bearings quickly with spray oil after driving in wet conditions. After oiling, I plug the hole with a 3mm screw. Lot longer bearing life with this trick. Some trucks have this oil hole already in stock form.

On dry conditions there is zero problems. Wet sand and dirt start to collect up inside the rim and the sand eats up the hub and wheel.

I drilled the hole and i can lubricate the bearings quickly with spray oil after driving in wet conditions. After oiling, I plug the hole with a 3mm screw. Lot longer bearing life with this trick. Some trucks have this oil hole already in stock form.
Yeah, I don't generally run in wet sand and haven't had any trouble in the mud. Environmental conditions make a difference for sure.

Great information guys.... but to reiterate my point, there was about 1mm (at most) clearance between hubs and rims. I drive in dry, rocky, desert like conditions and can see how dirt and debris accumulation would aggravate the problem. Moving the turnbuckle mount seems to eliminate some of the rubbing.

Yep, contacted HH yesterday. I’m waiting for them to get back to me. I’m considering trying M2c hex extenders. I’m also thinking Santa ?? is bringing me Vitavon hubs.
BTW... Where you been?
After thinking about this and looking over all of my Mojave trucks, I think this is the right answer (contacting HH). They shouldn't rub like this.

Jeez I missed that part ? My bad. Honestly I'd just run it if/until the huns fail and then just warranty the hubs and the wheels. Or get the HR hubs which is probably their best product.
Will putting on the HR hubs fix the issue.
Good to see you back I appreciate directness

2 different reps at Horizon Hobby told me their Arrma team had never heard of the wheel rubbing issues. Another rep said it was only a small batch of them. My NEW Mojave EXB tore up the right rear completely and almost killed the left rear in 6 packs. Stock the spokes also hit. The M2C extenders make the spokes clear but they still rub.

Screenshot_20210521-122017_Gmail.jpg

20210519_161046.jpg

2 different reps at Horizon Hobby told me their Arrma team had never heard of the wheel rubbing issues. Another rep said it was only a small batch of them. My NEW Mojave EXB tore up the right rear completely and almost killed the left rear in 6 packs. Stock the spokes also hit. The M2C extenders make the spokes clear but they still rub.

View attachment 147071

View attachment 147072
Yep, we were the unfortunate few. It took forever because everything was on back order but they finally just sent me 4 new wheels/tires, hubs and rod ends. I’m very happy with that

Yep, we were the unfortunate few. It took forever because everything was on back order but they finally just sent me 4 new wheels/tires, hubs and rod ends. I’m very happy with that
They sent me 2 of the old style wheels and rod ends/hubs. Swapped the parts and they still rub. Was hoping it was an updated part. Not very happy with that, lol.

Hey guys, I'm new here but not new to the rc industry,in dealing with HH in the past they are most likey to say its a wear and tare issue and not warranty it. I have a Mojave and ran into the same issue after running it on the wet baseball diamond. Parts are cheap, you can add a set of aftermarket mud guards, I found some on Ebay, they came from the UK. I'll post pics of them in a bit.

Depends on the HH representative. I've had two motors where the motor screws kept falling out. One rep tracked down the exact screw and sent me then in a envelope, the other rep just sent a whole new motor. Both were very helpful though and responses were quick.

The rpm ones are the first ones I used by cutting them to fit

BF05063B-5FD4-4C6A-BB10-B8E677BDF8B4.jpeg

456A5A4B-5E66-4001-8F67-2D5AA0863A7B.jpeg

329C3A36-C49A-467F-9D27-F1EF60B8649C.jpeg

A270DFC7-1BB8-4FD7-BCE4-57825C4D0107.jpeg

The second set I found on eBay that were made for the Mojave

I should have known better....even though HH sent me replacement wheels, hubs, and rod ends I left the worn down rod ends on. BTW my issue was definitely lack of clearance and not dirt or debris. I went to my favorite bash spot which is a LONG walk from car. I always drive the MEXB to and from the spot. And sure enough the rod end broke at the worn spot. It was a LONG 🤬 walk of shame with a #*&@ heavy rig.
1621957495982.jpeg

I beg to differ on the issue,i replaced my hubs sense I did the guards, run it in the same areas crap fling everywhere and no grinding issues any more, they really help to deflect stuff from packing into the wheel
Looks better right

Attachments

• 3F3CD9A9-9846-4857-BBEE-144472F8D9BB.jpeg
    3F3CD9A9-9846-4857-BBEE-144472F8D9BB.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 45
I beg to differ on the issue,i replaced my hubs sense I did the guards, run it in the same areas crap fling everywhere and no grinding issues any more, they really help to deflect stuff from packing into the wheel
Looks better right
Cool, very happy for you bro. But it’s not one issue to differ on, it’s two different issues.😉

how is it 2 different issues, yeah there is minimal clearance, the issue is the crap that packs into the wheel and that minimal clearance between the wheel and hub is the issue, so adding the mud guards keeps the crap from packing into the wheel so no more issue right?

Guys who have this rubbing problem, is there any play in your rear stub axles? I've shimmed mine (after getting rid of factory threadlocker or glue in there, which was not easy), spent about 1 mm of shims and never had any rubbing since. Just in case switched to +1mm hexes to be sure.

Guys who have this rubbing problem, is there any play in your rear stub axles? I've shimmed mine (after getting rid of factory threadlocker or glue in there, which was not easy), spent about 1 mm of shims and never had any rubbing since. Just in case switched to +1mm hexes to be sure.
There was zero play in mine.

Back