"Ultimate" Talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just a Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
Well, I've had tons of time to think this whole build over, and now that I have the majority of the parts for it, it is time.
Introducing my next build, the Ultimate 80's ARRMA Talion.

Thats right, an 80's themed Talion. Cue the 80's electronic music.
Going after what I think is my most optimistic paint job (its probably going to end up messed up, so I wont have any issues launching it into the air), an 80's themed paint job.

Some parts are leftovers, many are spares that have been built up from breaking the Kratons, and some were ordered just for this.
Not everything is shown, but here is the majority of the Talion laid out.

So far the parts list includes GKA chassis braces, servo mount, ackerman plate, and a M2C chassis to hold it all together.
And so it begins.

Looks like a sick build. Any idea of what tire you will run?

That, along with electronics, is something that is still up in the air. I don't want to put backflips on it and just have another Kraton with a different CG.

I do want to keep it in the spirit and original design of a Talion, so some light and narrow truggy wheel. I also want to keep it lighter than my Kratons, so a monster power system is also out.

I'll look into those tires.
I'm still up in the air on what tires to get, although a set of the V4 tires from Jennys is awfully tempting.

So tonight started the diff madness.
Armed with my diff parts box, two empty diff cases, and a handle of whiskey; its time to start this party.

So I've been wanting to do a longer writeup on how I've been building diffs lately, unfortunately this post will not be the extremely detailed version of that and what I am looking for. I will give you a bit of an idea on what I am doing though and my thoughts on it.

There are plenty of videos and writeups on shimming the crown side of the diff to get a proper mesh. I've been doing that and still end up with breakages that, to me, look like the pinion (input gear) is still too shallow and not meshing properly. So I have been shimming the pinion gear in combination with the crown/diff to get, what I believe is, the ideal mesh.

So to start things off, here are shims that I have found to work on the side of the pinion. I didn't really care about who the manufacturer was, but this was the cheapest I could find at the time in this size online.

Starting with zero shims, I will assemble the entire diff, feel how loose it is, and go from there. I have had the best luck with squeezing the input cup and pinion together as I tighten the grub screw for the input gear. This assures there is no play in the pinion that may give me any false readings later on when I try to read the gear pattern.

I've been primarily shimming the pinion gear to take out most of the play and then switching to the crown gear/diff when I feel I am getting closer.

Once I feel that I am close to a good mesh, I've been reading the gear pattern with a little bit of white lithium grease. I could use the yellow gear marking compound for cars, but I didn't feel like using that on an rc car. Also, I'm out of it right now.

Here is the rear diff ready for final assembly. Both the front and rear took different shims in different locations, and still both felt a little tighter in certain areas. Likely manufacturing tolerances.

And after taking too long to assemble only two diffs, here is the Talion's progress so far.

Fluid combination is my typical blend of herbs and spices, 80k/200k/30k (front to rear).
Still excited about this build. I'm on what feels like version 10, or maybe 20, of how I'm going to paint the body. I've got a way to go before its paint time, but I am looking forward to this one all finished.

Got a little more work in on the Talion. Its going to be slow and steady, trying to make sure I use the longest screws possible for everything, things that need loctite, get it, and there is no sense in rushing it, its been raining every day lately.

Started assembling the front end first. First time installing an aftermarket ackerman plate, its definitely beefier and I think should hold up better than some of the stock ones I've bent. Front upper suspension mount looks plenty beefy, its a solid design like the Voltage mount (HR and GPM have "weight reduction" holes in them).

That chassis brace is pretty sweet. Should be robust enough to keep everything from folding up on my occasional bad landings. My only gripe, and I doubt it'll be a problem, is that the "lug" that fits into the chassis isn't on any of the Talion braces (Everyone else has them, just GKA doesn't). The Talion is the only one in the ARRMA lineup to have that feature, and both of my Kratons haven't had an issue shearing that bolt off, so Its likely a non issue. And mad props to GKA, that servo mount is sexy. Its all one piece (kind of boggles my mind of the waste material).

Installed a V4 battery tray, receiver box, and left side guard. Started to assemble the rear suspension before I had to stop.

I'm enjoying this build a lot more than the others. Heck, my V4 Kraton (yellow one) was just a slider I slammed a power system in. Then proceeded to break things. And my V3 Kraton (red one) was just pulled out of the box and run hard. Its nice slowly building one almost like a kit.

Still going back and forth on the power system, and I think I am on the 10th or 11th color scheme for the body.
Next up, rear suspension.

Shock towers are in from Jennys and the upper hinge pins are held in place with blue loctite.

Add a set of shocks and there you have it, a complete front suspension setup for a Talion.

Moving to the rear, again these GKA parts are pretty sweet. I'm going to consider them first on any future builds (price is well worth it vs others). Got the front screws holding the diff in place, attached the chassis brace and the wing mount. I like how low profile the Talion wing mount is vs all the others. Would be curious to see how it fits with my Kratons.

Might be a while before the next update. Staring down the barrel of a category 4 Hurricane (possibly 5) making a visit right over my house. Got the usual prep work to do. May end up assembling the rest of this with battery powered lights, quite intoxicated, listening to 140mph winds howling and branches smacking the side of the house.

Shock towers are in from Jennys and the upper hinge pins are held in place with blue loctite.
View attachment 47014
View attachment 47015

Add a set of shocks and there you have it, a complete front suspension setup for a Talion.
View attachment 47016

Moving to the rear, again these GKA parts are pretty sweet. I'm going to consider them first on any future builds (price is well worth it vs others). Got the front screws holding the diff in place, attached the chassis brace and the wing mount. I like how low profile the Talion wing mount is vs all the others. Would be curious to see how it fits with my Kratons.
View attachment 47017
View attachment 47018

Might be a while before the next update. Staring down the barrel of a category 4 Hurricane (possibly 5) making a visit right over my house. Got the usual prep work to do. May end up assembling the rest of this with battery powered lights, quite intoxicated, listening to 140mph winds howling and branches smacking the side of the house.
Beautiful build @Just a Basher! Hope the bad weather takes a turn and misses you and any of the other forum members that might be in it's path.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back