Ultrasonic bath, what do you use to clean parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thrown in old dirty coins that came out mint.:unsure: Never really cleaned greasy parts except BB's. Never an issue.
I even tried Diff gear sets after wiping them down. Never an issue. But it's easier and much faster to just soak the gears in Solvent.
Gon a try DI H20 and one of those cleaners you've mentioned. Also read ammonia is pretty effective.
I would not use Ammonia with BB;s if cleaning them. Other parts maybe? Too Caustic to the Chromium BB's. And the US cleaner will emit ammonia fumes as it aerates it. Be careful.

I need to try that. If it
I have thrown in old dirty coins that came out mint.:unsure: Never really cleaned greasy parts except BB's. Never an issue.
I even tried Diff gear sets after wiping them down. Never an issue. But it's easier and much faster to just soak the gears in Solvent.

I would not use Ammonia with BB;s if cleaning them. Other parts maybe? Too Caustic to the Chromium BB's. And the US cleaner will emit ammonia fumes as it aerates it. Be careful.
Darn it, I said the wrong thing. I meant Vinegar. Been using in my automotive detailing kit for a while now. It's great at removing stains. Diluted of course. Ammonia would be bad, yes! It's just on the shelf with the spic and span and vinegar that i use for floor cleaning. Lemon scented, thank you. 🙃

If I’m washing bearings I will use a small glass jar with solvent in it and then I fill the cleaner with water and put the container of solvent in.
Nice idea and I’m going to borrow it. Takes care of having to clean solvents out of the sonic cleaner… Which is important if you’re using the same sonic clear for your wife’s jewelry. Yup.

Nice idea and I’m going to borrow it. Takes care of having to clean solvents out of the sonic cleaner… Which is important if you’re using the same sonic clear for your wife’s jewelry. Yup.
Just did some BBs as described above this morning and it worked wonderfully. Two were sized and are smooth as butter now.

Just did some BBs as described above this morning and it worked wonderfully. Two were sized and are smooth as butter now.
Want to make sure I understand this right. You. put the bearings in a jar with degreaser in the jar and then put water in the ultrasonic cleaner, and the entire jar in as well… then the ultrasonic waves go through the glass and clean the bearings basically?

Want to make sure I understand this right. You. put the bearings in a jar with degreaser in the jar and then put water in the ultrasonic cleaner, and the entire jar in as well… then the ultrasonic waves go through the glass and clean the bearings basically?
Yep

That is so cool. I got in trouble using the ultrasonic cleaner with degreaser inside. It took forever to get out and clean properly. Maybe I won’t be banned from using it now 🙃

It takes very little in the way of additives to boost your ultrasonic cleaner. I stole mine from a dentist's office. It's tired and worn, but it's made in USA as medical equipment, and kicks butt. I run it for an hour at a time, usually 2 hours is enough to power anything off my parts.

You need a surfactant, so use a drop or two of dish soap
You need an ionic degreaser, so add a teaspoon of trisodium phosphate or dry-powder automatic dish detergent
You need butyl cellosolve, aka ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, aka simple green, purple power, formula 409, whatevs... read the label

Another trick is to put solvent in an appropriately-sized glass jar, and put the jar in the ultrasonic cleaner. It works, and uses less solvent.

Heat will get you a long way. I use hot water from the sink. Some cleaners impart more heat to the solution than others, so don't let it go dry. This is why the warning label is there. I add water once, and it stays warm all day under use without getting much warmer than it started at the beginning of the day.

It takes very little in the way of additives to boost your ultrasonic cleaner. I stole mine from a dentist's office. It's tired and worn, but it's made in USA as medical equipment, and kicks butt. I run it for an hour at a time, usually 2 hours is enough to power anything off my parts.

You need a surfactant, so use a drop or two of dish soap
You need an ionic degreaser, so add a teaspoon of trisodium phosphate or dry-powder automatic dish detergent
You need butyl cellosolve, aka ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, aka simple green, purple power, formula 409, whatevs... read the label

Another trick is to put solvent in an appropriately-sized glass jar, and put the jar in the ultrasonic cleaner. It works, and uses less solvent.

Heat will get you a long way. I use hot water from the sink. Some cleaners impart more heat to the solution than others, so don't let it go dry. This is why the warning label is there. I add water once, and it stays warm all day under use without getting much warmer than it started at the beginning of the day.
Mine heats too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back