"Unbendable" shock rods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0den

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I got a "free" Typhon. You can see my other post...
The first obvious thing that was broken was bent shock rods. I mostly bent them back into shaped, and @Velodromed was kind enough to send me new rods and end caps (which I broke taking the shocks apart). But it got me thinking about something I use in two of my infinite set of hobbyies (never bored) lock picking and whip making. One of the things I started doing was making my own tension wrenches and whip handles out of something called music wire. This is a spring steel, and really hard to deform. I have to bend it for tenches wrenches, and this involves a hammer and anvil.

Has anyone ever tried to use this stuff for shock rods? These won’t fit in Arrma stock shocks, and besides, the arrma shock rods are attached to their ends. I also don't have the tools to make the ends threaded, or to drill center holes tap them if necessary. I have a ton of 2mm diameter music wire. If anyone has 2mm shock rods on their rig and the right tools pm me. I’d be happy to give back to the community and send over some music wire to a couple of people.

One thing to note. This stuff is hard to cut, I am not sure how hard it would be to creat threads or drill into them.

-w0den

Last edited:
One thing to note. This stuff is hard to cut, I am not sure how hard it would be to creat threads or drill into them.

-w0den
I had a post typed out but you edited already.:cool: Agreed. Killer idea IMO. That wire would need to be polished or coated as well to ensure a sealed fit inside the bladder. You would need tungsten carbide bits and threader along with something strong and precise enough to turn the shaft as well as lubricated.

If you build it, they will come.

So I got a "free" Typhon. You can see my other post...
The first obvious thing that was broken was bent shock rods. I mostly bent them back into shaped, and @Velodromed was kind enough to send me new rods and end caps (which I broke taking the shocks apart). But it got me thinking about something I use in two of my infinite set of hobbyies (never bored) lock picking and whip making. One of the things I started doing was making my own tension wrenches and whip handles out of something called music wire. This is a spring steel, and really hard to deform. I have to bend it for tenches wrenches, and this involves a hammer and anvil.

Has anyone ever tried to use this stuff for shock rods? These won’t fit in Arrma stock shocks, and besides, the arrma shock rods are attached to their ends. I also don't have the tools to make the ends threaded, or to drill center holes tap them if necessary. I have a ton of 2mm diameter music wire. If anyone has 2mm shock rods on their rig and the right tools pm me. I’d be happy to give back to the community and send over some music wire to a couple of people.

-w0den
Actually I sent a couple of complete shocks so you can just bolt them on. I would suggest topping off the shock fluid as they sound a little bit gooshy. I also included an extra cap.

wow! Thanks! Can you mix fluids? Do you know what the weight is?

I really can’t thank you enough!

wow! Thanks! Can you mix fluids? Do you know what the weight is?

I really can’t thank you enough!
I left the half full stock oil in originally and topped off with 30wt. Yes you can mix them long as their silicon. You’re welcome man and it’s all good… just enjoy the car! That’s the main thing.

Interesting idea, some Airplane folks have experimented with making spring-loaded landing gears.
Consensus, bending is possible, threading is tough as nails. Need good tool and lots of patience.
You could heat up the rod ends to dull red glow and soften it just to get some threads on, else you better eat your Wheaties. Won't happen with chinesium tools.
Keep in mind though that they will bend but flex back i.e. if this happens while some items are still in the shock body the bottom will most likely rip off.
Something has to give. That is just based on my understanding, haven't seen this in reality, but I don't believe anyone has.

Last edited:
Yeah, I found a very detailed discussion about it on a machining website. There are a couple of other spring steal rods that might work better, but I haven’t had a chance to research them…

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back