Kraton Ungluing tires and tire glue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
I want to unglue my minikawa lp tires out of the rim to glue in the future my backflip lps i don't want to fail so what glue do you guys recommand and method to unglue. Im thinking about the backing process
SO far with hair dryer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Never done it myself...but watched a few videos. Seems to be more hassle than what it is worth in my opinion.

I agree, never tried it, just bought preassembled or glued new ones myself.

I’ve boiled them for about 45-60mins depending how week they have been glued. I’ve done it a few times already you will have to add water a few times as it evaporates. Just make sure you have good gloves on that will take the heat. It doesn’t just fall off the rim you will have to carefully pull them the rim one side at a time. The glue doesn’t really melt it just becomes brittle. After I get them off I use a dremel to clean any glue left behind in the bead of the rim and tire. It does work just not sure if your wife will allow you to use her pots to boil tires.

I just bought the lhs brand thin tire glue. Its just a no-name brand they put their label on. Thinner works best imo but takes getting used to using because it dries fast and wants to get everywhere.
I have always used thin, it wicks easily around the bead of the tire and rim without having to use excessive amounts.

The easiest way I have found, and also the most time consuming, to remove tires is to get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid put some acetone in the bottom of the bucket, a good inch or 2 should be good. Now use some rocks or anything non porous to set the tires on so they do not sit in the acetone, you could even use some string to just hang the tires in the bucket. Set the tires on top of the rocks, again make sure the tires do not touch the acetone. Put the lid on the bucket and check it the next day, the tires will pretty much just fall off the wheels, if not add more acetone as need and check again in about 12 hours. Acetone fumes basically break the glue down.

As far as glue goes Bob Smith Industries makes the best tire glue I have used, they are actually the OEM for pretty much all rc tire glues. Even my lhs in house brand is relabled BSI.

BSI is the best I've heard here and elsewhere. I did the technique above and took a very long time but eventually it worked. The glue gets gummy and comes clean. I think the next time I'll roast em in the oven but if we have spare sets and don't mind the wait, the acetone fumes works well. I question the integrity of the wheel plastic after it's been heated so probably only best for those that cannot wait.

BSI is the best I've heard here and elsewhere. I did the technique above and took a very long time but eventually it worked. The glue gets gummy and comes clean. I think the next time I'll roast em in the oven but if we have spare sets and don't mind the wait, the acetone fumes works well. I question the integrity of the wheel plastic after it's been heated so probably only best for those that cannot wait.
I also find that with larger tires like the 1/8 doing 1 or 2 at a time is a bit easier than trying to do all 4 at once.

I use Bob Smith. Good luck taking the tires off after gluing with that stuff.
I have some tires that need new rims, so I'm gonna try the acetone method to see if it works.
20190927_192020.jpg

I sanded a bit the inside of the two wim who had a bit of left over rubber im going to order th backflips lps going to have them october 3-4

I ran mine today again on the Talion and I love those tires.

And my foams looks brand new lol

My slipper is maybe a bit loose it screams a lot when i pull a wheelie on dirt

I'm scared of slipper systems thanks to my Slash. I don't mess with em until they start slipping and when the Granite gets hot, I can tell it's slipping. I'll need to order a rebuild kit but putting it off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back