Ungluing Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is going to sound like a dumb question but what is the point of the tape? The acetone fumes will debond it if you were trying to use it to seal the container.
I'm trying to keep any escaping fumes to a minimum. I have a bucket but no lid. Gonna leave this alone til later tonight. If I notice the tub or tape looks to be deteriorating, out to the garage it goes.

I'm trying to keep any escaping fumes to a minimum. I have a bucket but no lid. Gonna leave this alone til later tonight. If I notice the tub or tape looks to be deteriorating, out to the garage it goes.
You have that in your house? You're a braver man than I am. I leave mine in my shed.

The oven version is pretty bad to be honest. Whole house will stink like hot rubber and the oven will hold the smell for days. ??‍♂️

Dang it, I swapped to LEDs a while back......
How is the smell in the house if you do the stove version?

Lamp method:
I did the oven method twice before, and I'm still shocked that my wife didn't pack my bags on either of those days. This is why I'm really hoping the acetone method has decent results.

Dang it, I swapped to LEDs a while back......
How is the smell in the house if you do the stove version?

Lamp method:

Stove version was not that bad. no burning or smoke. you don't have to apply much heat, before you can get the rubber off the one side and then turn the tire.

Well kind of good news. After 24 hours, the glue is definitely starting to separate. Although the duct tape around the lid is not impermeable, it has managed to keep the odor to a minimum during the process. I know this because when I opened the lid to check the tires, I almost passed out from the huge whiff I took in from the smell. I'm confident that in another 24 hours, I'll be able to separate the rubber from the wheels with a little effort. The hardest areas will be where I've reglued the tires myself. The only thing I've done that may be helping, is flipping the tires at each check interval. I'll flip again tomorrow morning and hopefully be able to get them apart by tomorrow night?

Final answer, bake them. After 3 days in an acetone sauna, hardly anything came apart. Couple of shots in the oven, done. There were two tires that tore while removing, and I tried 3 or 4 times in the oven to break the glue. So in the end, I have 4 usable wheels, 2 good tires and foams, and two mediocre tires and foams. Any rubber I won't use gets save for possible use in mods.
20200114_102243.jpg

I did the oven method, but on the stovetop like in a previous post.

I tried RC girls method, she suggested to pre heat the oven to 300, then turn it OFF... didnt work.

After success with the first tire and wheel playing with the heat - this was super easy, with no smell. Took some time, but worth it.

Now, time to glue them on. ARRMA I think uses red loctite on the wheels/tires also - these were ON.

I cannot keep a proline wheel tire combination together I keep blowing them off.

I'm looking forward to shedding weight. The trenchers are cool looking but much too heavy.

These will be backflip LPs mounted on kraton wheels.

20200317_130502.jpg
20200317_130502.jpg
20200317_155442.jpg
20200317_155307.jpg

I used the oven in the past. Spent a morning unmounting a bunch of tires from 3.2" 14mm wheels to use on 17mm wheels many years ago.
2010-0214-TireBake01.jpg

I'd bake them around 250-300F I think for 15 minutes or so at a time, take them out, using kevlar gloves I'd push down around the bead with mild pressure. Most of them would just pop and come off, some would fight and I put them back in.

Our stove is/was electric and I just had to make sure that whatever I put the tires on kept the direct heat from the big coil in the bottom from getting to them directly. One or two of my losi zombie maxx's hung over the side and they are still sticky to this day.

I did destroy 2 or 3 tires out of all of those. The beads were very chewed up/cut up from use in skate parks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back