Unmarked "generic" Hoons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I suspect it's all down to the plastics. To save costs they use a cheaper, more brittle plastic rather than the nylon based ones that most name brand manufacturers use. They will work fine, just won't take shock loading very well.

If you're going to be doing "hooning", essentially destroying tires one way or another, the cheaper ones will probably win out in the end finance wise.

Two of mine tore off at the hubs at the same time in the cold 😆

Easy fix because I have a box of Hoon rims to swap the tires.

They didn't melt in acetone so they're nylon, just not as durable.

0123231544_HDR.jpg

My final personal verdict. I won't buy more.

Had a little bit of an epiphany today, but reflects all of the above.
All runs were done in the same location. Have 8 runs on my first set until 2 tires were done, these were nice runs long oval races with the occasional kiss of the curb.

Original trial: ~ 45F outside Runs 1-5 Summary: puking awful
Horrible handling, slippery and no improvement over time. Was about to rip them off and throw them away
1 wheel cracked after 2 runs, but did hold up for an additional 7. Replaced after run 8 today. Just worn out and ok otherwise.

1 run between above but broke rear hinge pin area and was done.

Today ~ 80F: Same tires as above (runs 6-8) Summary: Oh wow seems nice
Nice grip and they were a fun to drive. During pack 8, foam blew out of the right rear and after a typical burial burnout the 2 rear tires are now retired, one with the cracked hub and the one without foam. Both were at life end anyway. Two front ones probably have 2 more packs in them. Yes, I keep rotating tires.

Just not happy with cracking wheels and don't see any reason to switch from GRP. These seem very surface specific and might work for you. These are identical to Hoons Gold, based on what I know. I'd take the Choons if that was my only choice.

Still have a pack of 4 to go, replacing as the others fail, and then it's back to GRP for myself.

Last edited:

All runs were done in same location. Have 8 runs on my first set until 2 tires were done, these were nice runs long oval races with teh occasional kiss of teh curb.

Horrible handling, slippery and no improvement over time. Was about to rip them off and throw them away
1 wheel cracked after 2 runs, but did hold up for an additional 7. Replaced after run 8 today. Just worn out and ok otherwise.

Nice grip and they were a fun to drive. During pack 8, foam blew out of the right rear and after a typical burial burnout the 2 rear tires are now retired, one with the cracked hub and the one without foam. Both were at life end anyway. Two front ones probably have 2 more packs in them. Yes, I keep rotating tires.

Just not happy with cracking wheels and don't see any reason to switch from GRP. These seem very surface specific and might work for you. These are identical to Hoons Gold, based on what I know. I'd take the Choons if that was my only choice.

Still have a pack of 4 to go, replacing as the others fail, and then it's back to GRP for myself.
Thanks for the write-up. I keep seeing people break the rims in cold weather, so I haven't used mine yet. I'll give them a shot this summer.

All runs were done in same location. Have 8 runs on my first set until 2 tires were done, these were nice runs long oval races with teh occasional kiss of teh curb.

+1.
Yeah, GRP's are truly the go to wheels, and not that $$$, if you shop them hard. Hobby Hero's here in the Bronx, NY is where I get mine sometimes. They have sales occasionally in bulk packs. Best bang for the buck, even just for Drifting and bashing them hard. GRP's at least give you a selection of compounds and 2 wheel stiffness types.
The Choons are for NON serious bashing. And still not worth it to me.

Last edited:
The only problem I have with them are the cold weather cracks. Other than that I think they're awesome. The fact jk was able to get like 8 packs out of them seems amazing to me. I guess it really depends how badly you want to save like 12$ per 4 tires. for every 8 grp tires you buy you could get 12 choons if my math is right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back