Notorious Up in smoke yup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you arma rookied it. J/K. Making fun of myself. It happens. Heck, my battery went up in smoke and I was just driving around that day. Not even jumping or anything! After I disconnected it, luckily everything else was fine. But in your case, it was the ESC. Double check the internal resistance of the battery and the cell voltage. I've heard of these Firmas going up in smoke once in a while. The ones I've got have been working well for me. It's just bad luck sometimes.

Beats me, first time I’ve had this happen. It acted funny for a couple seconds. Specifically it jerked forward and wouldn’t turn, I remember. Then it stopped and as I hit the trigger smoke poured out. So I’m thinking motor or servo but hell, what do I know? I’ll pull it apart and look closer as I dissect things (for fun of course). Oh, and the battery looks like it…pulled apart (?) somewhat inside where the leads connect. I’ll look at it closer before I throw a brick at it 🔥
Exactly what happened to me! To a tee. Didn't take out the servo, so I'm guessing it was just "time " for your spektrum too.

So for a Spektrum ESC ,yes?

Let me draft up the design, for y'all's consideration..
And for the Castle guys.
1668736893178.png

Thank you everybody for your kind words and a few smart ass comments I genuinely appreciate. Made my day, seriously. I’ll admit I’m a bit frustrated… kind of feel down. The last couple weeks (years) have been a rather rough comedy of errors and this one is the cherry on top. At least I’ve learned that you can put out an ESC fire with a handful of dirt. That’s pretty cool. And I have a pretty big battery to throw a brick out. That’s always fun. Thanks guys 😊
Wow, you arma rookied it. J/K. Making fun of myself. It happens. Heck, my battery went up in smoke and I was just driving around that day. Not even jumping or anything! After I disconnected it, luckily everything else was fine. But in your case, it was the ESC. Double check the internal resistance of the battery and the cell voltage. I've heard of these Firmas going up in smoke once in a while. The ones I've got have been working well for me. It's just bad luck sometimes.
Yeah it’s all good. My good luck and my bad luck are buddies. They back each other up. Kind of like to go one for one so I’m always even 🤷‍♂️

Thank you everybody for your kind words and a few smart ass comments I genuinely appreciate. Made my day, seriously. I’ll admit I’m a bit frustrated… kind of feel down. The last couple weeks (years) have been a rather rough comedy of errors and this one is the cherry on top. At least I’ve learned that you can put out an ESC fire with a handful of dirt. That’s pretty cool. And I have a pretty big battery to throw a brick out. That’s always fun. Thanks guys 😊

Yeah it’s all good. My good luck and my bad luck are buddies. They back each other up. Kind of like to go one for one so I’m always even 🤷‍♂️
At least this one was not your fault. You are not the first and probably not the last. It is killing me not knowing what is causing these things to go up in flames!

Is your truck still under warranty? I bet Horizon would replace it for you, things like this definitely need attention to gain action. Fire is the worst kind of failure...

Heck yea! Just the esc and flames. Applies to any rig as a warning!

That looks lile a Firma 160 though, come on now those are awesome esc's :LOL:

Which ESC do you recommend I use then..?

Guys I'm a bit worried now as I have ordered the notorious and have been waiting for the next week to receive it (probably).
Is there a manufacturing issue with the esc, is there anything I should look out for besides the obvious? (high ambient temperatures etc.).

Guys I'm a bit worried now as I have ordered the notorious and have been waiting for the next week to receive it (probably).
Is there a manufacturing issue with the esc, is there anything I should look out for besides the obvious? (high ambient temperatures etc.).
I purchased my Noto6s this past Spring and ran it hard this summer on the stock electronics and have had no issues. Just keep it all cool with fans. (y)

You are gonna love the Noto6s!! Great little trick truck. It's a blast launching it! 😁✌️

The ESC in my car was years old and had been through a lot. So I would not worry about it. Be aware of the situation but not paranoid.
I still also think that the old battery might’ve had something to do with it considering how it looked where the wires connected to the battery.
Or maybe it was the ESC going up that damaged the battery, hell if I know.

Its just a statistical thing I'm pretty sure. I didn't have crazy temps when mine went up in flames. But I do think I was pushing to the upper end of what the ESC can do.

I'd say if you are sticking with stock power, you should be fine. If you are going to throw on bigger tires and gear up, the chance of causing failure increases IMO and I would buy a better ESC like a max8 or max6.

Had I been smart, I would have got my max6 for my kraton EXB earlier, like before I swapped motors and geared up. And then i should have used the spektrum 150 esc in my MT410. That would have been perfect light duty application for it.

The ESC in my car was years old and had been through a lot. So I would not worry about it. Be aware of the situation but not paranoid.
I still also think that the old battery might’ve had something to do with it considering how it looked where the wires connected to the battery.
Or maybe it was the ESC going up that damaged the battery, hell if I know.
When you tear it down let us know what you find out! 🔍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back