Notorious Up in smoke yup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is interesting... From your picture it almost looks like it burned up from a bad connection on one of the motor wires!... Or maybe an internal fault causing it to short?

Thanks man!
Ah, finally found the pictures.
20220723_160608.jpg

20220725_203122.jpg

Could have been a solder failure on the PCB ,right around that spot causing a short.

Love to get a closer look at the circuit board at that location..
Honestly, yeah it wouldn't surprise me if it was just low quality soldering to the PCB to save a few pennies.

Could have been a solder failure on the PCB ,right around that spot causing a short.

Love to get a closer look at the circuit board at that location..
I’ll finish taking it apart if I don’t have to send it in for warranty. It’s right at the 2 year mark so who knows if it’ll be approved.

I’m still wondering about the motor. It seems fine and is only a few months old. Would this have damaged it in any way?

You can measure the resistance of each set of windings and check that they are roughly equal (AB, BC, CA). Then you can hook a drill to the motor shaft (ensure the speed is the same for all 3 tests) and measure the AC voltage again on (AB, BC, CA). They should all be very close to eachother.

Not the most in depth test but it should give you an indication.

I’ll finish taking it apart if I don’t have to send it in for warranty. It’s right at the 2 year mark so who knows if it’ll be approved.

I’m still wondering about the motor. It seems fine and is only a few months old. Would this have damaged it in any way?
I think it should be fine. The issue with the ESC is likely something shorting out, meaning excessive current draw and thus lots of heat generated at the ESC. I don't foresee any issues on the motors end unless affected by heat from the ESC. For anecdotal example, my 4092 surpass motor was just fine.
You can measure the resistance of each set of windings and check that they are roughly equal (AB, BC, CA). Then you can hook a drill to the motor shaft (ensure the speed is the same for all 3 tests) and measure the AC voltage again on (AB, BC, CA). They should all be very close to eachother.

Honestly, the faster test would probably just be stick it in another RC or swap another ESC in and see if it's still running. If it runs, it runs IMO.

Honestly, the faster test would probably just be stick it in another RC or swap another ESC in and see if it's still running. If it runs, it runs IMO
yup good idea.

Ah, finally found the pictures.
View attachment 257676

View attachment 257677

Honestly, yeah it wouldn't surprise me if it was just low quality soldering to the PCB to save a few pennies.

Looking at your photos..
This was kind of different from @Velodromed ..

You can see most of the damage occurred at the phaseB's base (center cable) ,the flames look to have shoot out from there and scorched/melted your aftermarket fan adapter.
And, there's damage to one of the capacitors on the other end of the ESC. Not quite sure how that's related or if it was the initial cause..

That’s a bit above my mental abilities. I’ll just test it on another esc (prob a 3s one)before hooking it up to the mm2.

Gotcha..
Keep us in the loop.

Definitely want to see the inside and the underside of that PCB.

Looking at your photos..

You can see most of the damage occurred at the phaseB's base (center cable) ,the flames look to have shoot out from there and scorched/melted your aftermarket fan adapter.
And, there's damage to one of the capacitors on the other end of the ESC. Not quite sure how that's related or if it was the initial cause..
Honestly hard to tell from either picture. The way I saw it, Velo's pictures looked to show as though flames were coming from outside (phase A?) motor wire connection, whereas mine was the center, but both motor wires. I had assumed they both failed in the same way, though that's just my guessing. I'm sure the capacitors on the other end of my ESC got cooked through excessive amps. Or heat.

Velo's looks to have been big enough to desolder the motor wire. Would be interested to see some pics with the shroud removed.

Everyone has their own method but I like to rule out problems without possibly jeopardizing other equipment. If windings are shorted to each other it might be a bad day for the ESC you test it on.

Looking at your photos..

Yes, it damaged my fan wire, not sure about the fan itself… but my fan was hooked up to a small 3s battery. The encased wires were zip tied to the blue motor wire, but not near where it connected to the esc. The deans connector literally melted where it was soldered on the wire. The connector didn’t melt, just where it was soldered. That had me wondering a bit as well. Think I’ll solder on a new connector and check it.

BB1AAC3D-92E6-4D23-8930-0442F8D856C9.jpeg

1FCC5390-E310-4E20-B458-53EB0C3F2F5F.jpeg

Everyone has their own method but I like to rule out problems without possibly jeopardizing other equipment. If windings are shorted to each other it might be a bad day for the ESC you test it on.
Yup, which is why I should test it on an old 3s esc. Or may just box it and use the new motor I have or think I have. If not I’ll get a new one off Jenny for 40 bucks or a surpass 4076 for 50-70.
Would be interested to see some pics with the shroud removed
👍 I will do that at some point here.

A quick question for any others that experienced the 150 burning and tried to warranty it… is it normal for Horizon to request that you mail the ESC back, on you’re dime, so they can look it over?

A quick question for any others that experienced the 150 burning and tried to warranty it… is it normal for Horizon to request that you mail the ESC back, on you’re dime, so they can look it over?

Shouldn't THEY offer you a Pre-Paid shipping label instead?

Yeah, it's fair for you to provide/find packing material to wrap it up AND spend your time/gas to go & drop it off at a carrier facility..

So, are they sending out a loaner ESC to you?
What are they wanting you to do in the meantime..? During the week(s) they're taking their sweet time "examining" the burnt ESC?

Last edited:
Shouldn't THEY offer you a Pre-Paid shipping label instead?

Yeah, it's fair for you to provide/find packing material to wrap it up AND spend your time/gas to go & drop it off at a carrier facility..
That’s what I was thinking. Honestly I wasn’t going to put it back in the car. I was going to use it for a three or 4S car, for which it seems far more adept at handling. It was just a first for me. I have used the warranty a few times in the past (not this car, I have 8 or 9 Arrmas) for a vorteks ESC among other things, without this request.

Perhaps they are collecting burnt ones for dissection…but far more likely they’re doing the stereo typical ‘hoops, road bumps and potholes’ to deter someone from making a claim. And that makes me want to push harder, so I will. Just because. Now if they sent me a shipping label I would have no problem doing it. Maybe it’s silly to take a hardline stance due to a $12 charge but I feel like it. I’ll push once more and let it go Frozen style.
that wire came of mine when it set on fire :(
Same here. The Blue one.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back