Notorious Up in smoke yup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
Dang it 😑

711650AA-929A-4BA6-B073-82FA7DB9A368.jpeg

41BD1500-D39D-497E-8C9B-912B5EF5A192.jpeg

It’s 47°f out, has a powerful fan connected to a separate 3S Lipo and was I was running at 50% cause kids were around. Timing is set just above zero. All I know is it stuttered a bit, stopped and then lots of smoke. I pulled the clips off fast, realized it was not the 6s battery and yanked it out, then smothered the ESC fire with dirt. It’s an older battery and has some weird looking stuff where the wires connect to it now so it’s outside…soon to be bricked 🧱. It’s not swollen or anything, I’m just not risking it.

ESC, battery, small 3s lipo and for all I know the motor are done. Yup it happens. No worries.

OMG when I first saw this thread I thought it was the mm2 I sold ya..sorry for your loss,coulda been worst
No man we’re good there. Haven’t even run it yet. Hmmm… it’s rated for 6s. That’s good, think I finally found it’s home.

Yup could have been a total loss so all good. Can a battery on its way out short an esc like this? Or can a motor short it out? I’ve heard, I think, that a bad servo can do this? I’ve decided to make this a good learning lesson so am pondering on it…

It’s like I was trying to use ‘good’ as much as I could in one paragraph in a self soothing manner 😂

Last edited:
No man we’re good there. Haven’t even run it yet. Hmmm… it’s rated for 6s. That’s good, think I finally found it’s home.

Yup could have been a total loss so all good. Can a battery on its way out short an esc like this? Or can a motor short it out? I’ve heard, I think, that a bad servo can do this? I’ve decided to make this a good learning lesson so am pondering on it…
It’s like I was trying to use ‘good’ as much as I could in one paragraph in a self soothing manner 😂
Kinda wish I'd kept that mm2..it seamed way more powerful than the mmx6s I have...I ran 107mph on 4s with that esc in mini-typhon,then I put xlx in it an car was slower than it was with that mm2..an xlx log showed like 230a on that run...that tells me that mm2 was good for at least 200a..Best I've gotten out mmx6s is 210a and that mm2 gave me some goood better #'s..

Kinda wish I'd kept that mm2..it seamed way more powerful than the mmx6s I have...I ran 107mph on 4s with that esc in mini-typhon,then I put xlx in it an car was slower than it was with that mm2..an xlx log showed like 230a on that run...that tells me that mm2 was good for at least 200a..Best I've gotten out mmx6s is 210a and that mm2 gave me some goood better #'s..
Buddy…you did me a true solid on that one and I will happily sell it back to you if you want. Same price and you cover shipping if you don’t mind 😊

Buddy…you did me a true solid on that one and I will happily sell it back to you if you want. Same price and you cover shipping if you don’t mind 😊
No,I really want to see you enjoy it.i had my fun with it..throw it in the noto,it'll run much better than the spectrum, especially now.lol

If it was a possible "bad" servo.. Wouldn't you have noticed it not responding correctly first..
Before it caused the ESC to burn up??

If it was a possible "bad" servo.. Wouldn't you have noticed it not responding correctly first..
Before it caused the ESC to burn up??
Beats me, first time I’ve had this happen. It acted funny for a couple seconds. Specifically it jerked forward and wouldn’t turn, I remember. Then it stopped and as I hit the trigger smoke poured out. So I’m thinking motor or servo but hell, what do I know? I’ll pull it apart and look closer as I dissect things (for fun of course). Oh, and the battery looks like it…pulled apart (?) somewhat inside where the leads connect. I’ll look at it closer before I throw a brick at it 🔥

It was the esc.ive had them do the exact same thing..loss power,start glitching,then up in smoke like it's 4.20pm.✌.I've burnt up some escz..I'm a pro at it.if I could just hear a esc go up I could tell which one it was...lmao...xlx2 will sound like bacon sizzling first.....😅🤣😂

It was the esc.ive had them do the exact same thing..loss power,start glitching,then up in smoke like it's 4.20pm.✌.I've burnt up some escz..I'm a pro at it
Cool, then I need ponder no longer 🙃 the Noto is getting the MM2 for sure.

It was the esc.ive had them do the exact same thing..loss power,start glitching,then up in smoke like it's 4.20pm.✌.I've burnt up some escz..I'm a pro at it.if I could just hear a esc go up I could tell which one it was...lmao...xlx2 will sound like bacon sizzling first.....😅🤣😂
Most all the rest sound like a jet taking off...I bet the jet sound is the mosfets exploding..xlx2 don't have exposed mosfets..not sure it has mosfets at all..can't see them🤷‍♂️I don't know how they work I just know how they burn.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back