Kraton Kraton 4S is a rollercoaster of hate/like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zlayer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton 4s
“Update “
I went to hobby town and they swapped out the radio and calibrated it and it works great now!!!!!! I’ll elatmore when I get time.

After listening to all the Arrma fanboys on YouTube I got a Kraton 4S recently. I was on the fence about returning it and getting the 6s but I didn’t want to deal with the chassis bending situation (ARRMA tough indeed). Now I understand that the A arms are crap on this version (ARRMA tough, give me a break) and not available??. I had seen on YouTube where people are reporting a bit of delay with the new spectrum radio, but I had high hopes that it would be a minor issue. I was excited to run it for the first time but that quickly turned into frustration. I thought the acceleration was weak on 4s so I turned up the punch level and it seems pretty good. I’m getting wheel spin instead of wheelies probably because of a slightly damp surface and stock tires that don’t grip well (my E Revo 2.0 has no problem in the same conditions). Next I noticed that it took about 15 ft to stop so I turned up the brake level through the esc settings, which brought it down to about 5ish ft (compared to my E revo violently stopping on a dime, that’s a joke). Then I was coasting it down to stop and the thing took off on it’s own and ran into a gravel pile (throttle trigger in neutral). And as nice cherry on top, it won’t reverse when I want it to. It will however reverse when IT wants to. I hold reverse.... nothing, reverse..... nothing, reverse...... nothing. Let go of trigger (neutral) and it took off full throttle backwards out of my driveway up a hill into my neighbor’s driveway barely missing their car before I finally was able to get it under control. And that hasn’t been a one time situation. Reverse only engages about 1out of 20 trigger pulls then out of the blue it’ll take off and just keep going (sometimes slowly, and sometimes wide open)until you squeeze the forward trigger. Please don’t tell me I need to get an aftermarket radio! That is unacceptable! It’s not asking to much for it to come with a radio that functions properly and doesn’t have a mind of its own. I really want this thing to work but I’m going to have to return it, which stinks because it was a Father’s Day gift.

Last edited:
My e revo doesn't violently stop on a dime. If I turn the brake up too high, it just does a frontflip. You're also comparing apples to oranges. That e revo isn't durable until you completely modify the suspension, so don't act like it's a superior vehicle in all categories. These 4s truck lines need better A arms, I know. And yes I feel bad for you in getting brainwashed by fanboys, some people think this brand is their savior. But it is what it is, we're waiting for rpm to release some arms.

The radio sucks in the 4s line. Put a Traxxas receiver into it and use your e revo's remote.

I had watched videos on the E revo, prior to purchasing it and saw everything about the shock rod end breakages. I did the “internal bump stop mod” to the rear shocks which cost $3 or $4 dollars. I assume that has really helped because I’ve only broken 1 pushrod end on a bad landing. A pack of 12 for like $10 ish dollars for those, not bad. The cv axles have poped out twice too (quick fix), but that’s pretty good luck I’ve had.

I don’t think that comparing the Erevo to either of the Kraton models is apples to oranges at all. They are very comparable. If working properly they are all pretty beastly. I really want to love the Kraton, buuut.... (and y’all already know this anyway) the 6s needs aluminum chassis braces F&R ( $50ish), aluminum chassis brace mounts (don’t know cost) probably a beefier chassis ($150ish), and probably an aftermarket radio to make it actually work, and I don’t even know how much that costs. I’m no rocket surgeon, but I fail to see how the Kraton is more durable as the the internet has made abundantly clear.

I had watched videos on the E revo, prior to purchasing it and saw everything about the shock rod end breakages. I did the “internal bump stop mod” to the rear shocks which cost $3 or $4 dollars. I assume that has really helped because I’ve only broken 1 pushrod end on a bad landing. A pack of 12 for like $10 ish dollars for those, not bad. The cv axles have poped out twice too (quick fix), but that’s pretty good luck I’ve had.

I don’t think that comparing the Erevo to either of the Kraton models is apples to oranges at all. They are very comparable. If working properly they are all pretty beastly. I really want to love the Kraton, buuut.... (and y’all already know this anyway) the 6s needs aluminum chassis braces F&R ( $50ish), probably a beefier chassis ($150ish), and probably an aftermarket radio to make it actually work, and I don’t even know how much that costs. I’m no rocket surgeon, but I fail to see how the Kraton is more durable as the the internet has made abundantly clear.
No, it's a kraton 4s. Hence why it's not comparable. It's $400 lol.

Also I did the dumb decision and bought my e revo 2.0 the day it was released. Actually according to the serial it's the 36th manufactured. I hadn't broken a shock end, and I ran it for 70 or so runs before I put on limiting straps. That's when I started driving wrecklessly and crashing hard. I'm happy I waited to drive horribly after I did the straps because I haven't broken one yet and they show no signs of stress... god forbid i didn't do it id probably have a broken shock.

I still have those 90mm limiting straps on hand here somewhere. Sold the truck for 375 pretty great condition with new servos and upgrades in four months. I do love the way it drives and handles and I tell people it "pounces" lol no bs
The thing about the 6s trucks here is we don't "need" any of these Voltage or M2C aluminum upgrades. Easily beat the trucks up hard out of the box.

No, it's a kraton 4s. Hence why it's not comparable. It's $400 lol.

Also I did the dumb decision and bought my e revo 2.0 the day it was released. Actually according to the serial it's the 36th manufactured. I hadn't broken a shock end, and I ran it for 70 or so runs before I put on limiting straps. That's when I started driving wrecklessly and crashing hard. I'm happy I waited to drive horribly after I did the straps because I haven't broken one yet and they show no signs of stress... god forbid i didn't do it id probably have a broken shock.
Ok $400 vs $549 has nothing to do with it. The 4s Kraton is only slightly smaller, has similar acceleration and speed as the erevo and Kraton 6s. The 4s version has a better chassis than the 6s. I gues 1 category is comparable: does it work,
Erevo: yes
Kraton 4s: no
Lastly, since we’re not allowed to compare those 2 let’s step it up to the Kraton 6s because they both cost $550.
Kraton 6s: still no (because it’s using the same useless radio).
I’m done comparing, but seriously I really want to like these, and it sounds like I’m dumping on them but I’m just frustrated right now.

Ok $400 vs $549 has nothing to do with it. The 4s Kraton is only slightly smaller, has similar acceleration and speed as the erevo and Kraton 6s. The 4s version has a better chassis than the 6s. I gues 1 category is comparable: does it work,
Erevo: yes
Kraton 4s: no
Lastly, since we’re not allowed to compare those 2 let’s step it up to the Kraton 6s because they both cost $550.
Kraton 6s: still no (because it’s using the same useless radio).
I’m done comparing, but seriously I really want to like these, and it sounds like I’m dumping on them but I’m just frustrated right now.
The first half was hilarious made my day ??? "does it work" I'm dead,
I still have those 90mm limiting straps on hand here somewhere. Sold the truck for 375 pretty great condition with new servos and upgrades in four months. I do love the way it drives and handles and I tell people it "pounces" lol no bs
The thing about the 6s trucks here is we don't "need" any of these Voltage or M2C aluminum upgrades. Easily beat the trucks up hard out of the box.
Ehhhh... idk man.. the stock chassis really is garbage on the LWB trucks. It bends as soon as you screw up a jump even when you get like 6 feet of air and land wrong. pLaStIc ChAsSiS fTw

No upgrades to speak of here for $479. Send any Revo like this?
Also a very helpful and humble forum member. ??
For the record yes... I don't know why anyone would think any modern 8th scale would have trouble doing what these people do (and we both know that's not even that high lol.) The e revo is just like any arrma getting big air (actually a bit better) both go above 50 miles per hour, so both go as high as each other. Both will break when you screw up the landing of said jump that you hit at 50 miles per hour. However, an arrma vehicle (in my experience) has a chance break even if you land perfectly wheels down and do everything right due to the design of a race style flat plane aluminum chassis. For the e revo, if you do everything right, it will not break, ever, probably sounds bias but if you just compare the schematics it makes perfect sense due to the design of the basher style plastic chassis and double bulkhead design.

Off topic... I'm not trying to argue btw :D

For the record yes... I don't know why anyone would think any modern 8th scale would have trouble doing what these people do (and we both know that's not even that high lol.) The e revo is just like any arrma getting big air (actually a bit better) both go above 50 miles per hour, so both go as high as each other. Both will break when you screw up the landing of said jump that you hit at 50 miles per hour. However, an arrma vehicle (in my experience) has a chance break even if you land perfectly wheels down and do everything right due to the design of a race style flat plane aluminum chassis. For the e revo, if you do everything right, it will not break, ever, probably sounds bias but if you just compare the schematics it makes perfect sense due to the design of the basher style plastic chassis and double bulkhead design.

Off topic... I'm not trying to argue btw :D
I understand ??. Not playing fanboy either. I'll pay for whatever brings the most fun.
I may be out of the loop but if we're mostly bashing, I see Arrma trucks in big air vids constantly and can't remember a Revo one that I've seen other than that nice guy that built his wooden ramps last year. He has a Rustler 4x4 now too.
edit: Kevin Talbot I forgot

I understand ??. Not playing fanboy either. I'll pay for whatever brings the most fun.
I may be out of the loop but if we're mostly bashing, I see Arrma trucks in big air vids constantly and can't remember a Revo one that I've seen other than that nice guy that built his wooden ramps last year. He has a Rustler 4x4 now too.
Ah I get it. Maybe I gotta pick up a camera and start filming!! I just live in such an absolutely garbage area since I moved there's no bash spots nearby at all, not even close. I'm in south jersey, towards the middle. No skate parks near me so I have to drive about an hour to the closest one, and also I have no sand jumps that I used to have in Detroit. No more construction sights... for this reason my senton has been getting a lot more attention lately as it's more of a flat ground and road warrior. Just pisses me off talking about it to you because I'm so angry I can barely drive my trucks anymore, and I work so much I really need to plan if I wanna drive to a bash sight.

Ah I get it. Maybe I gotta pick up a camera and start filming!! I just live in such an absolutely garbage area since I moved there's no bash spots nearby at all, not even close. I'm in south jersey, towards the middle. No skate parks near me so I have to drive about an hour to the closest one, and also I have no sand jumps that I used to have in Detroit. No more construction sights... for this reason my senton has been getting a lot more attention lately as it's more of a flat ground and road warrior. Just pisses me off talking about it to you because I'm so angry I can barely drive my trucks anymore, and I work so much I really need to plan if I wanna drive to a bash sight.
I think this place is not bad. Did you try it?

For the e revo, if you do everything right, it will not break, ever, probably sounds bias but if you just compare the schematics it makes perfect sense due to the design of the basher style plastic chassis and double bulkhead design.
This is stock, right . . . I finally got my hands on one. The first parts I replaced was the rods, shock rod ends, A-arms, & center shafts since I didn't feel like dealing with that mess again. The rear bulkhead shock cover was also cracked so I that became aluminum. So I went ahead & sent it, perfect jump & great landing, & what broke or rather shattered was the spur & pinion which are now both aftermarket (& no the landing wasn't under power). It uses the X-Maxx spur which I have a ton of. I should probably replace the sintered front & rear diff gears as well. I'm surprised they held up this long. But I did buy it used & it came with 3 ripped tires so the prior owner could have done a number on it & I just finished the job.

I also agreed that comparing a 3s-4s plastic tub car to a car made for 6s is silly even though I got mine for less than $400 but it did need some work - but I still have MUCH less than $550 in it. Confusing it with the 6s line over the name is even worst. I would expect the stock V4 Kraton to have a bit of trouble surviving a 80-100ft jump w/o bending the chassis. There are several ways of dealing with chassis flex w/o buying $200 of chassis parts. My V2 Kraton is 90% stock (servo & mount). I sent it 50+ft more than any other LWB Arrma & I have never bent the chassis. It has only worn the stock tires, Trenchers, & old revo tires. The only other aftermarket part on it is the Markhor style chassis brace. I have sent my 3s trucks around 50ft as well, but with the larger tires, more force on the A-arms, hinges, & bulkheads, I can't imagine the 4s line surviving a longer distance than that over multiple jumps. Yes, I've seen plenty vids of it jumping that distance multiple times but hands-on experience is always the key here. The 4s line is still an all-plastic truck with all-plastic problems, with no way to upgrade what is needed so it can handle moderate jumping. Knowing what I do now with the 3s line, jumping them is useless. Something will always break. Arms, driveshafts, axles, shocks. The 4s is the same platform. It isn't any different.

Please don’t tell me I need to get an aftermarket radio! That is unacceptable! It’s not asking to much for it to come with a radio that functions properly and doesn’t have a mind of its own.
You are absolutely right. This in unacceptable. I don't have experience with those new radios, but this is not the first time i'm hearing bad things about them. The damage it does to the brand must be huge.

I would contact Horizon Hobby, i've heard that people got replacements that worked for them. Or i'll consider an after market radio, it is such an upgrade in quality, and it doesn't cost much (you can get a decent one for 35$)

edit: Kevin Talbot I forgot
Every single time Kevin touches a RC, he breaks it, no matter the brand. It is hilarious to watch though.

The first parts to break on screwed jumps are the arms. Any jump, no matter the height or distance. This is true for EVERY RC. You really have to go ham on a metal chassis to bend it. 30-50ft isn't going to do it. Also the STX2 is a pile of dog poop. The only reasons you would use it is not knowing that fact, you want to wreck your car, or you want your car to take off & wreck itself :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back