Notorious Updating a V4 to a V5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bean

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I have read some threads about it, but I still have some questions.

I want to buy a V4, as there is a great deal for one right now (V4: $450, V5: $600)
I know I have to upgrade the radio, but I also want to update (some of) the other parts for easier repair/upgrades later on.

I read that if you want to update the V4 arms to V5, you'd need to trim the chassis a bit.
I also read that if you'd want to replace the chassis/shock towers, you'd need the chassis, shock towers, arms and sway bars. Is that all?

I don't mind spending the time (I've got holidays coming) and the money (I'm saving $150, excl. updates)

Thanks, but I prefer to buy from stores when spending these amounts of money. It is a V5 though 🤔.
How did you end up with 3 NIB Notoriousses?

Thanks, but I prefer to buy from stores when spending these amounts of money. It is a V5 though 🤔.
How did you end up with 3 NIB Notoriousses?
The only answer and my only answer....... THE TREE HAS PRODUCED SOME FRUIT AGAIN:geek:. I would ask him if he has the receipts and if so then definitely buy from him!

I have read some threads about it, but I still have some questions.

I want to buy a V4, as there is a great deal for one right now (V4: $450, V5: $600)
I know I have to upgrade the radio, but I also want to update (some of) the other parts for easier repair/upgrades later on.

I read that if you want to update the V4 arms to V5, you'd need to trim the chassis a bit.
I also read that if you'd want to replace the chassis/shock towers, you'd need the chassis, shock towers, arms and sway bars. Is that all?

I don't mind spending the time (I've got holidays coming) and the money (I'm saving $150, excl. updates)
frankly, after upgrading my Talion from v3 to v5, i wouldnt say that the upgrade to the new arms are worth it.. it might be a little stronger but i never broke the v4 arms, what worth upgrading (apart from the awful radio of course), is to the v5 chassis. It was strenghten quite a bit and it's really cheap on JRC.

frankly, after upgrading my Talion from v3 to v5, i wouldnt say that the upgrade to the new arms are worth it.. it might be a little stronger but i never broke the v4 arms, what worth upgrading (apart from the awful radio of course), is to the v5 chassis. It was strenghten quite a bit and it's really cheap on JRC.
Agreed 100%.. the new arms are nice. But the old arms didn’t seem like that weak of a link. when they do break just get the RPM and your golden. 💪🏻

V5 is over rated in my opinion. The bigger battery box is nice when you have a big receiver.. the hinge pin holders were a marginal upgrade. I’ve bent and torn those out too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I vote v4 with rpm arms lol

The update to v5 part aren’t worth the time or money over the v4 parts IMO. Other than a slightly more rigid rear section of the chassis there’s really no benefit. Money would be better spent on an M2C chassis/braces while keeping the v4 parts intact for a better overall end result if you’re on a budget.
Same goes for the v4 vs v5 electronics.

So lets say you bend a V4 Chassis, the V5 will fit as a replacement? And subsequently you can then use the V5 arms as well?

So lets say you bend a V4 Chassis, the V5 will fit as a replacement? And subsequently you can then use the V5 arms as well?
This one’s a doozy to answer and your not gonna like it lol.

If your v4 chassis is bent and you want to replace it with a v5… your gonna have to get:

Chassis
Arms
Rear tower
Rear shocks
Shock pins

What? No. It fits without modifications

It’s the opposite that’s true, you cannot fit v5 arms on your v4 chassis
Correct, but the same is true for the opposite… unless your ok with not having proper droop settings 🤷🏻‍♂️.

The ears for the droop screw area are a lot smaller on the v5 chassis so the droop screw doesn’t have enough contact area to be good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back