Kraton Upgrade Big Rock or Replace with 6S for Bashing and long jumps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger19D

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I been researching countless hours on the forums and youtube looking up upgrades to the Big Rock, some are doing 6S and doing a major overhaul. From what others said, it seems like for the price and time you are better off out right buying a 6S vehicle and running smaller batteries or a 6s battery.

I am wanting a vehicle that can really do well climbing up uneven dirt mound, jump off ramps and launch 15 feet plus and land with minimal issues assuming driver lands correctly..

I know some of these 6s out of the box are great but could use upgrades to make them a little better. Which is something I am more than likely going to do.

MY QUESTION IS: WHAT DO YOU VEHICLE DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR BASHING that takes a beating ?

Kraton 6s?
Talion 6s? - More money and comes with few upgrades ( My dad purchased this and on the fence about buying it because I can merely go to his house and drive his)
Notorious 6s?
Fire Assualt 6s?

All depends on your bashing style. The larger 6s trucks will climb over rough terrain better. like 10x better. But for sheer abuse, i can't tell you how many times i've landed directly on the chassis with my big rock with a type of hit that would have taco'd any 6s chassis, and the fact that it's half the weight or so make it much less prone to big breakage. I'm not worried about bending a shock tower, or ripping out t2t braces on the 3s truck.

I think the time to upgrade to the 6s trucks is when you know you can land most every big jump on all fours and you are wise enough to drive the truck in areas that won't jeopardize the metals components (skateparks, etc). Driving the bigger trucks is definitely and experience you need to have eventually. But i'll always have a place in my garage for a 1/10 scale plastic basher that can take a ton of abuse. IE, i'd keep the big rock as backup and buy one of the 6s trucks. The kraton is the good all-arounder. Just my two cents.

All depends on your bashing style. The larger 6s trucks will climb over rough terrain better. like 10x better. But for sheer abuse, i can't tell you how many times i've landed directly on the chassis with my big rock with a type of hit that would have taco'd any 6s chassis, and the fact that it's half the weight or so make it much less prone to big breakage. I'm not worried about bending a shock tower, or ripping out t2t braces on the 3s truck.

I think the time to upgrade to the 6s trucks is when you know you can land most every big jump on all fours and you are wise enough to drive the truck in areas that won't jeopardize the metals components (skateparks, etc). Driving the bigger trucks is definitely and experience you need to have eventually. But i'll always have a place in my garage for a 1/10 scale plastic basher that can take a ton of abuse. IE, i'd keep the big rock as backup and buy one of the 6s trucks. The kraton is the good all-arounder. Just my two cents.
My game plan is if I upgrade to an 6s, I will do some upgrades to my Big Rock but not go crazy and replace and upgrade it to 6s itself. I do have upgraded parts I bought, motor mount, metal ball joints, servo saver, new servo, and few other parts. I will prob just do that along with tire upgrade and keep it as is.
I was really eyeing the Kraton 6s
Thanks for the input, its that kind of input that def makes me want to get a 6s and have a few different vehicles around to try out.

I would say kraton 6s is one of the best bashers although the talion exb with backflip LPS is a close second
That is what my research showed, but the Talion EXB seems to have a few better parts but also more money too.
However my dad just bought the Talion exb, so I figured having the Kraton 6s would be nice to compare side by side
Any upgrades you recommend to Kraton 6s right off the bat?

I'd say look at the-
Fireteam 6S
Kraton 6S
For their overall capabilities.

Or if you want to stay with the plastic chassis, take a peek at the Kraton 4S v2

In the end, it really depends on your driving style and your environment on how "well" your vehicle will behave..

I'd say look at the-
Fireteam 6S
Kraton 6S

Or if you want to stay with the plastic chassis, take a peek at the Kraton 4S v2

In the end, it really depends on your driving style and your environment on how "well" your vehicle will behave..
Isn't a Fireteam a Heavy XL kraton with a cool body?

Isn't a Fireteam a Heavy XL kraton with a cool body?

Yes, it is.
So because of the XL chassis it handles differently vs a stock Kraton..

Even upgraded the 3s line will not hold up to 6s constant use. There will be a fail point in the drivetrain and the 6s power will find it. 4s will hold up pretty well. I run an upgraded big rock on 4s and have no issue. I would sell off the BRCC and put the couple hundred bucks towards a 6s platform. Or like many of us here keep the old one and just buy the new one…….addiction…..or possibly just a dislike for having money. Kraton offers is a great mix of bash and stunt truck capabilities.

Yes, it is.
Touché, I rip those out before I ever drive the truck/car so I forget about those "special" extras Like a hair in my salad!! LOL I do like the way the Fireteam handles/drives its been my go to for a couple months now.
Yes, it is.
yes, very much so I like standard Kratons for jumping and tricks the XL's for handing and going fast still jump them just not launching them like the regular kratons. I got a few of both!

Even upgraded the 3s line will not hold up to 6s constant use. There will be a fail point in the drivetrain and the 6s power will find it. 4s will hold up pretty well. I run an upgraded big rock on 4s and have no issue. I would sell off the BRCC and put the couple hundred bucks towards a 6s platform. Or like many of us here keep the old one and just buy the new one…….addiction…..or possibly just a dislike for having money. Kraton offers is a great mix of bash and stunt truck capabilities.
Yeah seriously, who would run 6s on a 3s truck (even upgraded) and not expect issues?

Not to mention that you won't even be able to put all the power down. 4s in a 3s truck is already more power than you can get to the ground. I run 4s on another 3s truck and I can barely use 1/2 throttle without the wheels constantly spinning.

I don’t know about the Big Rock, but I have a Granite BLX and got the Kraton 6s a few weeks ago and it’s a completely different beast. I still run and bash the Granite, but the Kraton is just fun to drive. It’s fast enough, it handles great, it can land jumps from pretty dang high without breaking crap, it’ll wheelie and backflip off of jumps. Worst I’ve done to mine is rip a lower control arm off, but it was my fault for hitting a fence post at 40ish

I'd say look at the-
Fireteam 6S
Kraton 6S

What did you like about the fireteam over the Kraton?

That is what my research showed, but the Talion EXB seems to have a few better parts but also more money too.
However my dad just bought the Talion exb, so I figured having the Kraton 6s would be nice to compare side by side
Any upgrades you recommend to Kraton 6s right off the bat?
I just got another kraton v5 just before christmas going to upgrade as I go on this one. but out of the box I have put circlips under the servo saver changed diff oils 40/500/20 added extra shim to back diff changed the timing on the esc settings. just depends how your going to run it really with upgrades

What did you like about the fireteam over the Kraton?

I have Kratons and a Mojave that's converted to hybrid Kraton.. I don't have a direct Fireteam per se ,but I can definitely appreciate what the XL chassis & Wider track that it provides. Which gives you overall better stability at much higher speeds.

So for Arrma to make the Fireteam chassis already complete with those specs ,makes it easy to recommend instead of someone having to modify (a kraton or Mojave) to achieve the same thing.

I have Kratons and a Mojave that's converted to hybrid Kraton.. I don't have a direct Fireteam per se ,but I can definitely appreciate what the XL chassis & Wider track that it provides. Which gives you overall better stability at much higher speeds.

So for Arrma to make the Fireteam chassis already complete with those specs ,makes it easy to recommend instead of someone having to modify (a kraton or Mojave) to achieve the same thing.
I never had the Fireteam on my radar and the killer part was it was on sale for last black friday!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back