Upgrade Mega/BLS plastic transmission to BLX metal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody have any experience with different diff fluids and how they change the driving characteristics? I will be changing from the plastic to metal in the next week or so and was just curious how to decide which fluid to use for my style driving/bashing.

Does anybody have any experience with different diff fluids and how they change the driving characteristics? I will be changing from the plastic to metal in the next week or so and was just curious how to decide which fluid to use for my style driving/bashing.
I believe it goes the lighter the fluid the tighter the turn but u have less speed out of the turn.... Thinner the fluid your turns aren't as tight but u have more speed out of the turn!..... I think ;) good luck with the convertion!

Last edited:
My son's plastic gears in his granite mega made it through 4-2s lipo packs, not to bad I guess. Glad I ordered the parts this weekend and can make the conversion maybe during the week. I also have to figure out the gearing for this velineon I think is should have more torque. I think it geared to low.

If this was a triple diff set-up,as in a 4x4 I could tell you,but I'm not all that familiar with a single diff. I would guess that 3-5000wt oil should do the trick. If this was a triple diff,then I'd say 10,000wt(centre)-5000wt( front)-3000wt(rear).

Sorry fo the delay! No I didn't the plastic gears are holding up with no prob at all so far. Did want to change them till he tears them up.
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered it, there is only a 1.5mm difference, but Arrma specifically lists one "for plastic motor mounting plate" and one for metal. If that 1.5mm difference is in the middle of the shaft, there's not going to be much I can do to modify it. I'll reply here once I have them both in hand.

The parts arrived and I did the side-by-side comparison of the two shafts, and the BLX version is slightly different. It is a bit thinner where the motor mount is. I didn't try both shafts in the BLX transmission as the process was already taking long enough!

One note regarding the upgrade in general, if you're going from the mega to the blx you will also need a m3-65mm screw (ar723365) and rear roll cage set (ar320211). There is one spacer in the kit that's needed. The screw goes through to the motor mounting plate so it is needed to add stiffness, the spacer is built into the mega gear case. Since I didn't order it straight off and don't want to wait any longer I'm going to grab the correct screw from the hardware store along with a suitable plastic spacer. I'm sure that will be cheaper as well.

Capture.JPG

Yup and there it is...... Mega rebuild time...... I got a lot more time out of it than I thought I would running a traxxas velineon on 2s lipo. I got about 20 full pack of bashing , local track running , and backflips! Definetly put the composite gearbox to the test and I'd say it passed well!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 138
Yup and there it is...... Mega rebuild time...... I got a lot more time out of it than I thought I would running a traxxas velineon on 2s LiPo. I got about 20 full pack of bashing , local track running , and backflips! Definetly put the composite gearbox to the test and I'd say it passed well!
That's exactly what mine looked like. Don't forget to order the motor shroud if you do the blx upgrade. It comes with the wheelie bar kit btw.

Yup
That's exactly what mine looked like. Don't forget to order the motor shroud if you do the blx upgrade. It comes with the wheelie bar kit btw.
Yup got it all already had it for a few months now but the was waiting on the composites to go out...... tho I should have built it and had it on the side so I could do a drop in and go!:( It's kool tho

The parts arrived and I did the side-by-side comparison of the two shafts, and the BLX version is slightly different. It is a bit thinner where the motor mount is. I didn't try both shafts in the BLX transmission as the process was already taking long enough!

One note regarding the upgrade in general, if you're going from the mega to the blx you will also need a m3-65mm screw (ar723365) and rear roll cage set (ar320211). There is one spacer in the kit that's needed. The screw goes through to the motor mounting plate so it is needed to add stiffness, the spacer is built into the mega gear case. Since I didn't order it straight off and don't want to wait any longer I'm going to grab the correct screw from the hardware store along with a suitable plastic spacer. I'm sure that will be cheaper as well.

View attachment 1652

wouldn't it be more easy and cheaper just to use the left side of the mega diff-case with the right one from the blx version.
i mean combine bith diff cases

I have finished the whole convertion Friday evening today is Sunday I have put 3packs through it already and we are running good! THis went into my sons granite that I put the traxxas velineon vxl 3s in and I think the velineon is just a little faster than the BLX ..... All in all good setup so far!

Hello,

I think my Diff on the mega granite just went. Latest model mega with the plastic gears. I have been running the velineon as well with maybe only 5-6 2s packs through it.

I had to replace a spur gear and on the next run, after running normally for maybe five minutes it seemed like the slipper was slipping. It could go if I had a slow throttle but any squeeze of the trigger quickly really made it sound like the slipper was going and there was no speed.

I tried reversing and then replacing the slipper pads and with the adjustment nut all the way down it still had the same problem.

Does this sound like a stripped diff then? Turning one wheel by hand the other goes in the opposite direction no problem still.

Thanks for the help

It could be,but I'd remove both of the rear tyres first,then remove the drive hexes and check the condition of the drive pins. I had mine snap on the Fury causing the same sort of result.

Help!

I checked the drive pins and they were fine. And took two hours to open up the Diff... Checked the gears all OK. Checked the pins to the outdrive all OK.

Why is it slipping? Is there a special way to put the slipper back together?

Thank you

Look very carefully at the exploded view in the manual,as this shows the order that the slipper clutch goes together. Make sure that when reassembling the pads,that they don't slip out of alignment.

The other thing to check is that the grubscrews which hold the outdrives onto the diff are tight,if they're not,this will also cause those problems.

Thank you dreadstar,

There weren't any grub screws for the mega out drives but I did tighten up the screws holding the Diff together as best I could.

On the slipper, the slipper pads only fit on one way so I am not sure about how to further check alignment? For example, the green pads fit right into the spur gear. Then the hole for the metal piece that goes over the green pad is slotted so I'd out see any way to not line it up.

Could you clarify and also let me know if there is any sidedness to the green pad for which side faces metal vs spur gear?

There isn't a sidedness for the pads, they'll work either way round. Make sure that you have all the spacers and washers in the correct order and the right position. It's a strange one this, I must say.

Hello,

I think my Diff on the mega granite just went. Latest model mega with the plastic gears. I have been running the velineon as well with maybe only 5-6 2s packs through it.

I had to replace a spur gear and on the next run, after running normally for maybe five minutes it seemed like the slipper was slipping. It could go if I had a slow throttle but any squeeze of the trigger quickly really made it sound like the slipper was going and there was no speed.

I tried reversing and then replacing the slipper pads and with the adjustment nut all the way down it still had the same problem.

Does this sound like a stripped diff then? Turning one wheel by hand the other goes in the opposite direction no problem still.

Thanks for the help
Man U fortunately it sounds like the gear box is gone. U may need to rebuild the whole gear box and diff! My mega did the same thing! I also have a BLX the jus the diff went out on and it was basically the same results tho. Slow rolls moving with some grinding then no movement at all!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back