Upgrade Mega/BLS plastic transmission to BLX metal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...

Has the raider/granite diff only got one set of planetary gears? (as shown on exploded view below)... not two sets as shown in the “bullet proof your diff” for granite video?..

B9E41958-1206-4CE4-A6BC-DD4CE315FFED.png

Hi guys! This has been a great thread for me to read up and research what I'm going to need to buy and do to upgrade my Raider Mega to take the bigger motor/esc combo I've installed into it. So thanks for all your input so far!

Actually, I've already been running the GoolRC combo 2850KV motor and 120Amp esc on 3s with everything stock and it's an animal! I've popped the top off the stock plastic front shocks, and destroyed a set of outdrive cups, but other than that the Raider has held together quite well considering the huge increase in power. I can barely keep the front wheels on the ground.

So what brings me here is clarity on exactly what I need to replace to upgrade the gearbox/motor mount to handle the power upgrade. As I said everything is still working really well, the actual only issue I have is the plastic motor mount (which is like an all-in-one piece) is quite soft, and the motor is heavy and if I tighten the screws enough to hold it all together, the plastic just squashes in where the screws go and cannot hold tight.

It needs a metal/aluminum motor mount plate I guess?

Anyway, on the Arrma website and within the box is comes with a story board for items required to upgrade from Mega to BLX.
For the Raider it looks quite simple, it suggests that all I need is:
AR310404 - 54T Spur
AR310420 - 17T Pinion
AR220039 - Gearbox upgrade

This part AR220039 is a real mystery. I can't find it on the net, I can't find it for sale, it isn't listed on any hobby shop sites, it doesn't appear to exist! lol. So obviously I'm doing something wrong here. It can't be written on all the official documents and not be a thing I can't get hold of, so what am I missing?

So that kind of stopped me in my tracks and has left the car sitting on my shelf for the last month or two. Having started to search for answers again, I've been brought here to the forums as this thread showed up in google when searching mega to blx upgrade.

Throughout this thread members have listed components that they suggest are required - obviously completely different to what Arrma have suggested. So now I'm very unsure as to the correct path of action. The combined list as identified by members in this thread is:

AR310001 - $6
AR310016 - $11
AR310416 Diff gear set (doesn't seem to exist any longer, but AR310436 appears to be the correct part?) - $24
AR310599 - $19
AR320007 - $15
AR722308 - $6
AR725312 - $5
AR723365 - $6
AR320211 - $15
TOTAL: AU$107.00

I've already purchased
AR310399 - $19
And I've got the latest version of the Raider so it already has the AR310378 diff in it (to my understanding)

So it's potentially going to be roughly an AU$125 upgrade (the whole brand new Raider only cost me AU$200!) just to use an upgraded motor/esc. Yikes!

Now, I'm not complaining, that's my choice to run an upgraded motor. I just want to be 100% sure it'll work before spending mad cash.

Sorry to blab on so much, let me summarise my actual question!

1. Does part AR220039 exist? What is it? How much is it? Where can I get it from?
2. If AR220039 doesn't exist, then can Arrma please issue a correction to explain and clarify, that would be awesome.
3. Is the list of parts above correct and is everything on there actually required?
4. Would it be possible just to install the AR320007 motor mount into my existing Raider setup with no other changes?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate everyone's time to sift through all of this information! I'd be lost without it

I’m not on here much anymore, so I don’t know how much help I’ll be, but I did this conversion on a Raider Mega (short wheelbase) a while ago, per these part numbers and it went perfect. Things may have changed since they started building just long wheel base Raiders. Back then it was a Mega 1/10, BLX 1/10, and the the 1/8 XL (long wheel base).
I guess what I’m saying is, I’m not sure how much that worked on the older Raiders will carry over and work now.
I may have more detail of what I did on my build thread as well, if you want to take a look.
And yeah, I easily spent more on upgrades along the way than I did on the car itself. Part of the hobby!!

I’m not on here much anymore, so I don’t know how much help I’ll be, but I did this conversion on a Raider Mega (short wheelbase) a while ago, per these part numbers and it went perfect.

Thanks mate, yeah I've got the same model as you, so sounds like it should work.

I think I was just thrown off initially when I couldn't find the main component as listed by Arrma in all their official product information.
It just frustrates me when a company I like makes that sort of reasonably major error. And I realise its now a discontinued car, so they won't be interested in correcting it, but still.... I like closure ;)

Lucky for them, this forum is full of good info from the users. (y)(y)(y)

So you've started with one of the Arrma MEGA or BLS models and now wanting to upgrade to a brushless and LiPo setup for longer runtimes and a much faster vehicle!?

Upgrading Arrma Transmission from plastic to BLX metal

Before doing so it's highly recommended you upgrade your plastic transmission to a metal transmission setup found in the Arrma BLX models as a brushless and LiPo setup is certainly going to put a lot of stress on your gearbox. Here is a list of the parts you're going to need to upgrade your Arrma gearbox to metal:
If you have an older model (before 2014) you'll also need the following parts, otherwise the newer Arrma models already come stock with the below parts:
  • AR310378 - Differential Gear Maintenance Set
  • AR310399 - Gear Differential Outdrive
Can i use these parts on granite mega 4x4?

No. These parts are for the Granite, Fury and Raider 2WD RC vehicles

so I just bought a raider xl blx last month. Can't seem to run full pack without something breaking. So some things I've replaced or upgraded.
  • Steering post
  • Front control arm
  • Added tbone front bumper
  • Axles cause short dogbone ate it up
  • 90mm dogbones (redcat)
  • Rear hubs stripped
  • Rpm blue ball joint Arms
After about a 20 year hiatus it's getting really frustrating. Bad part is I don't drive it very hard. Now to the gearbox..ugh..

Driving it yesterday it starting slipping which from reading this thread I think it's the pin . I pulled it apart but didn't check the pin. Will do that later.

So after reading and pulling my gearbox it seems I have the composite gears?? Thought the BLX came with metal. The diff, idler and layshaft gears are plastic. The gearbox case has the motor mount molded into one piece. Did I get the wrong gears with mine?

I did order all the metal gears but didn't order the diff case and motor mount so should I order that too or should it fit in this one.
Sorry I know this is an older thread but curious to where you got the metal transmission gears? Need to rebuild mine. Raider xl blx... Thanks

Bonjour je recherche quelqu'un qui pour m'aider savoir si ses simple de réparer les rouages du différentielle sur un arrma granite blx si il y a un tuto ou autre merci d'avance

Is this to upgrade typhon mega to S6? The list of parts is what's needed. ?

Since they don't last over a week I had a broken brush holder in the motor and ESC not outputting to motor. I might as upgrade already.

Is this to upgrade typhon mega to S6? The list of parts is what's needed. ?

Since they don't last over a week I had a broken brush holder in the motor and ESC not outputting to motor. I might as upgrade already.
Hi moush these are for the old Arrma vehicles. They were all 2WD.

Hi moush these are for the old Arrma vehicles. They were all 2WD.
Oh 2wd to 4 wd?

I'm looking to upgrade typhon mega to 6s. But just to keep the mega going is challenge in itself. This thing is garbage. First week brushed motor Seized. Twice. Then esc has no throttle . I put in my brushless motor and momba esc and now stripping spur gears. But I think I got the it right now.

The way the design them is garbage. I buy mega brushed as a roller chassis. To upgrade.. but I guess they don't have standards.

Oh 2wd to 4 wd?

I'm looking to upgrade typhon mega to 6s. But just to keep the mega going is challenge in itself. This thing is garbage. First week brushed motor Seized. Twice. Then esc has no throttle . I put in my brushless motor and momba esc and now stripping spur gears. But I think I got the it right now.

The way the design them is garbage. I buy mega brushed as a roller chassis. To upgrade.. but I guess they don't have standards.
Hi moush you should be asking in the 4x4 area or looking for tips in there. Look for mega upgrades in the 4x4 forums.

Look in the link below, I think this is what you want to do:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/upgrading-mega-550-to-4s.39993/#post-549555

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back