Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Upgrade Raider to Brushless?

Discussion in 'Raider' started by Stack15, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Stack15

Stack15 Well-Known Member
    ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    Fury, Granite, Kraton, Mojave, Talion, Typhon, Voltage, 4x4-Mega
    Hello. I just purchased a raider on eBay and my intention is to upgrade it to brushless. What engine, gear box and things do you recommend? And tips please? This is a learning experience for me. Thank you.

2. Stack15

ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    So three questions:
    1. Looks like I need to replace the motor and the ESC. How do I program my remote to work with a new ESC?

2. In selecting a motor and ESC combo, there are amps. It seems 45A and 60A are common. Does that matter? I mean would either work? I am guessing 60 would go faster?

3. There are also “Ts”. I think that is turns for the motor. What’s right for the raider and how would I tell? This is more confusing than expected.

I am looking at cheap ones on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152851512039

3. mudman

mudman Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Raider
  4. Stack15

ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    Thank you. That is quite helpful.

I am lost on how to connect my current remote to the new ESC. None of the YouTube videos seem to address how to do it without a dedicated receiver device.

5. mudman

mudman Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Raider
    Not sure why you're using this terminology. The remote (transmitter) connects to the receiver. You didn't say anything about replacing the receiver. If that is what you have done then you need to bind the transmitter and receiver together.

What kind of speed control did you have installed before? If it was an ESC, then simply unplug the old one and plug the new one in to the same channel on the receiver.

If there is still some confusion please rephrase your issue.

6. Stack15

ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    Yes. Thank you. I have it straight now. I am new to the hobby and two of my cars have cheap combo ESC/receivers. The raider has two separate parts. So my upgrade would be the ESC and no controller issue as a result.

Sorry for the confusion. It was all on my part.

New question - can someone recommend an inexpensive (like $25) GPS for the RC cars that will record top speed. I would like to know before/after. But I don’t want to spend $100.

7. mudman

mudman Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Raider
    Okay, based on what you are saying, I think you are going to have a problem just installing an ESC. If your present setup is an integrated ESC/Receiver, I cannot envision how you are going to disconnect the old ESC and plug in your new one. Unless there is a channel port on the combo where you can unplug and then plug in the new ESC. If not, you are going to need a new Receiver and Transmitter too. Does the steering servo plug into the combo, or does it just have a wire coming out of the combo to the servo?

8. Stack15

ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    D1B1656E-9E1A-46BE-BB2C-F0BAED5F7205.jpeg CD5E8DC4-B11F-44F6-934E-74CEE869FB05.jpeg I am sorry for the confusion. The raider is stock and has an ESC and a receiver (separate parts). I believe the steering servo plugs to the ESC. I think it is that way in all my cars.

I am thinking a brushless motor and ESC combo will swap out with my current motor and ESC. No t/x or r/x change over.

9. Stack15

ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    Oh wait you’re right. The servo is plugged into the r/x. The r/x is plugged into the ESC.

That’s the raider, fury and grainte 4x4 mega.

Jerry-rigged likes this.
  10. Stack15

ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    The Fazon Voltage it all plugs into the ESC.

11. Stack15

ArrmaForum Fan

Arrma RC's:
    Thank you everyone for the help. I put the high gears into the raider today and it is now FAST. I am going to have to get used to that speed before I move to brushless. It’s really really fast now.

12. PeeBeMe

PeeBeMe Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Raider
    Yes it is fast on brushless. I to my 3500kv motor from my pro sc truck and change my gearing on my buggy. She flys

13. Rdub

Rdub Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Raider
    https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-mega-raider-build.1030/

@Stack15 I havnt done much lately, but here’s my thread on the Raider. There’s a lot to sort through, but hopefully some useful info. I took a lot of small steps, but in the end, ended up with a pretty cool RC!
    Good luck, and have fun!

• Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer