Raider Upgrade Raider to Brushless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stack15

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave
  4. Talion
  5. Voltage
  6. 4x4-Mega
Hello. I just purchased a raider on eBay and my intention is to upgrade it to brushless. What engine, gear box and things do you recommend? And tips please? This is a learning experience for me. Thank you.

So three questions:
1. Looks like I need to replace the motor and the ESC. How do I program my remote to work with a new ESC?

2. In selecting a motor and ESC combo, there are amps. It seems 45A and 60A are common. Does that matter? I mean would either work? I am guessing 60 would go faster?

3. There are also “Ts”. I think that is turns for the motor. What’s right for the raider and how would I tell? This is more confusing than expected.

I am looking at cheap ones on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152851512039

Thank you. That is quite helpful.

I am lost on how to connect my current remote to the new ESC. None of the YouTube videos seem to address how to do it without a dedicated receiver device.

Thank you. That is quite helpful.

I am lost on how to connect my current remote to the new ESC. None of the YouTube videos seem to address how to do it without a dedicated receiver device.
Not sure why you're using this terminology. The remote (transmitter) connects to the receiver. You didn't say anything about replacing the receiver. If that is what you have done then you need to bind the transmitter and receiver together.

What kind of speed control did you have installed before? If it was an ESC, then simply unplug the old one and plug the new one in to the same channel on the receiver.

If there is still some confusion please rephrase your issue.

Yes. Thank you. I have it straight now. I am new to the hobby and two of my cars have cheap combo ESC/receivers. The raider has two separate parts. So my upgrade would be the ESC and no controller issue as a result.

Sorry for the confusion. It was all on my part.

New question - can someone recommend an inexpensive (like $25) GPS for the RC cars that will record top speed. I would like to know before/after. But I don’t want to spend $100.

Yes. Thank you. I have it straight now. I am new to the hobby and two of my cars have cheap combo ESC/receivers. The raider has two separate parts. So my upgrade would be the ESC and no controller issue as a result.
Okay, based on what you are saying, I think you are going to have a problem just installing an ESC. If your present setup is an integrated ESC/Receiver, I cannot envision how you are going to disconnect the old ESC and plug in your new one. Unless there is a channel port on the combo where you can unplug and then plug in the new ESC. If not, you are going to need a new Receiver and Transmitter too. Does the steering servo plug into the combo, or does it just have a wire coming out of the combo to the servo?

D1B1656E-9E1A-46BE-BB2C-F0BAED5F7205.jpeg
CD5E8DC4-B11F-44F6-934E-74CEE869FB05.jpeg
I am sorry for the confusion. The raider is stock and has an ESC and a receiver (separate parts). I believe the steering servo plugs to the ESC. I think it is that way in all my cars.

I am thinking a brushless motor and ESC combo will swap out with my current motor and ESC. No t/x or r/x change over.

Oh wait you’re right. The servo is plugged into the r/x. The r/x is plugged into the ESC.

That’s the raider, fury and grainte 4x4 mega.

Thank you everyone for the help. I put the high gears into the raider today and it is now FAST. I am going to have to get used to that speed before I move to brushless. It’s really really fast now.

Thank you everyone for the help. I put the high gears into the raider today and it is now FAST. I am going to have to get used to that speed before I move to brushless. It’s really really fast now.
Yes it is fast on brushless. I to my 3500kv motor from my pro sc truck and change my gearing on my buggy. She flys

I upgraded my Raider to an 80 amp ESC and it was overkill. I moved the 80 to another RC, then put a cheapie-china 60 amp ESC along with a 3100kv motor. The combo worked super well in the dirt. Later, got some cheapie-china street wheels, then a cheapie-china 5700kv motor to tear up in a parking lot. The brushless combo necessitated the add on of a wheelie bar. IMHO; Raider with narrow stance performs better on asphalt than dirt. But that was my Raider fun and learning experience.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back