Senton Upgrade - Steering Turnbuckles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrys4227

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
Upgrade to the 3s BLX steering turnbuckles. The steering is still on the sloppy side, but at least I was able to fix some of the toe problem.

Qty 2 AR330535 Turnbuckle
Qty 1 AR330470 Rod End Set
Qty 1 AR330515 Pivot Balls (optional)

IMG_20180909_080658.jpg

You need 3 sets of of AR330535 if you want to to the rear as well as the front.

Sorry ... Yes you need 3 to include the rears. I haven't notice any problems with the rears tho ... Even my onroad tires show nice even wear back there. The fronts always bugged me cause i could always see the misaligned toe. I still need to make adjustments there.

A few tips for anyone doing this upgrade.

1. Drill out the rod ends before you try to thread the steel turnbuckle. I could not get it threaded without that. I used a 9/64 drill bit and it still didn't thread that easily.

2. Heat up the rod ends before you try to push the new pivot balls through. I used a heat gun. I smashed 2 oivot balls trying to push them through cold. It's a tight fit.

There's a certain side of the rod end that the pivots snap into. One side is chamfered more than the other. Place the pivot ball on a table sitting with flat side up. Chamfered side of rod end facing down ... Snap it on pushing down with your finger.

I had no problem with the turnbuckles ... Using a Turnbuckle wrench and adjustable pliers. Just like the screws for the diffs ... They are self tapping and supposed to be tight

There's a certain side of the rod end that the pivots snap into. One side is chamfered more than the other. Place the pivot ball on a table sitting with flat side up. Chamfered side of rod end facing down ... Snap it on pushing down with your finger.

I had no problem with the turnbuckles ... Using a Turnbuckle wrench and adjustable pliers. Just like the screws for the diffs ... They are self tapping and supposed to be tight

Mine were beyond tight. They would not thread.

My issues are with the ends wearing out so they don't stay centered on the balls. My truck was doing this by the fourth run. These adjustable ends look like they will do the same.

Yes, the pivot balls in my original rods were very loose. Not quite falling out, but loose enough. With the new ends, they tightened right up. I didn't have any metal pivot balls to try .... That would be the way to go.

There is still sloppiness in the steering tho ... My Senton drives fine in dirt, but it still needs constant correction at high speed on pavement.

Almost all the play in my steering comes from the servo saver. I really just want to go without it and take my chances with my $35 servo, lol.

I don't know of any rod ends that come preinstalled with pivots. I did try snapping in a new pivot to the new rod end ... There was no difference, so I used the old ones.

The original rod 'bar' is a weaker and thinner material than the new rod ends, so I think it will hold up good.

I don't run servo savers in any of my vehicles, but I still have some slop. Looks like the pivots on the chassis is the culprit. One of these days I'll tear it all down and have a look see.

Bicketybam said: "Almost all the play in my steering comes from the servo saver. I really just want to go without it and take my chances with my $35 servo, lol."

Check this, it 's been working well for me:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/possible-mega-steering-slop-fix.7210/#post-70379

My Granite now has the adjustable links all the way around, and they're great. But the bushing/servo saver mod is what got my truck tracking in a straight(er) line. Still going strong too. Just waiting for the stock servo to tank so I can upgrade that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back