Upgraded X maxx diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_jsy

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
Hi guys

My X Maxx has just stripped its rear diff and I am only a handful of packs after putting an 1100kv in it. Not really wanting this to be a regular occurrence so wondering if anyone has some tried and tested upgrades for the diffs?

I see Vitavon do a hardened steel ring and pinion set that is rather expensive but if it is bulletproof I'd go or it. Welcome to any other suggestions.

Cheers

Ross

I heard the Hot racing diffs are good. You must have landed on throttle pretty good though lol. I have a TP 5670 in my XRT and I've not killed a diff yet.

The aluminum diff covers are a must on the Xmaxx imo, the aluminum diff cups help too but the covers are a must... Hot Racing or Vitavon, doesn't matter.. I wouldn't spend money on "hardened" gears unless you do covers and cups and are still having a problem. And even then, like Moirae said, landing on throttle will do it every time on the big trucks

I heard the Hot racing diffs are good. You must have landed on throttle pretty good though lol. I have a TP 5670 in my XRT and I've not killed a diff yet.
This is why I am wondering if I am over reacting and just to stick a standard diff in as I see loads with big motors in with no issues.

Zero landings on throttle, it has been jumped a total of I think 3 times before the last ESC mount broke and cut the RX wire, and they weren't anything crazy. Just hard sand and field runs for the remaining couple of packs, no standing back flips, nada. I first noticed what I thought was a click last night whilst braking.

Hi guys

My X Maxx has just stripped its rear diff and I am only a handful of packs after putting an 1100kv in it. Not really wanting this to be a regular occurrence so wondering if anyone has some tried and tested upgrades for the diffs?

I see Vitavon do a hardened steel ring and pinion set that is rather expensive but if it is bulletproof I'd go or it. Welcome to any other suggestions.

Cheers

Ross
I put the aluminum diff cases from the Xmaxx in the front and rear diffs, I put a shim in front of the output drives, and I put aluminum diff covers. No more issues. Don't forget the drive cup sleeves too. Check out my profile. I have a build threat for my X-Maxx for further detalls 👍

I put the aluminum diff cases from the Xmaxx in the front and rear diffs, I put a shim in front of the output drives, and I put aluminum diff covers. No more issues. Didn't forget the drive cup sleeves too. Check out my profile. I have a build threat for my X-Maxx for further detalls 👍
Cheers I'll give the Ali diff cases a go first.

I actually discovered the missing teeth whilst pulling out the diffs to install the diff cups funnily enough. Put it back together and all I could hear was Kevin Talbot's "it's really getting it now" and sent it off properly lol

Another huge thing is the upper and lower bulkhead having a tight fit and no damaged threads. I'm running H.W. 800kv combo, and have went full circle now. I use stock HD gears, shim behind the pinion. Also an aluminum cup with an extra shim behind the side gears. I did not have good luck with the vitavon gears. They never broke, but did wear out fast, like not properly heat treated. I beat on my truck pretty severely, and they were done before 20 packs. It was nice having the punch turned up for a little bit.

Hi guys

Cheers

Ross
So here we go,sold my Xmaxx 5 days ago,back to stock because all m2c HR parts and vitavon ring and pinion and rear diff never happy,installed a 1250kv and even that one whit a 23t strip the gear and just in case I change bulkhead, HR everything and when I when back to stock was good but didn't want to take the chance on her again.so if that help just upgrade a few things but no,no,no more power,max 5 whit stock engine is enough.hope u have fun.

I just snapped the actual shaft of the pinion. I have the 1100kv and Badlands but I am careful to not land on throttle. Do I chalk this up to sh*t happens and throw another stocker in there or are people having better luck with another company ring and pinion? I will look into the aluminum diff covers but I don't think that would have helped in this situation. Also are there any good X-maxx forums out there similar to this wonderful site?

My friend I ended up putting my Xmaxx back to stock after all M2c upgrades and max 5 1100kv because even whit vitavon gears always diff was blowing up,landing on power,landing perfect,landing anyways always ring diff gears was a problem,back to stock,sold,outcast 8s exb and now listed foe sale 5 scale is different game,no problems whit the O8S but too heavy to jump and do all crazy thing that the K6 and can handle no problems,hopefully sharing this whit u helps to take a decision in the long run,bless day

Thanks for the advice, I don't think I will be going back to stock. I am pretty all in on the truck and love the way it drives, its not the end of the world for me to have to change them out every once in a while. I see so many videos online of people hammering on their diffs IE: landing full throttle from back flips, full power starts, auto flipping back over, full power landings ect. Are they all having the same problems and not posting them or is there a fix I am not aware of?

Unfortunately I'm close tonthe people on my LHS and nothing that I spend a lot of 💰💰💰💰💰💰 fix it for me🤒🤒

My friend I ended up putting my Xmaxx back to stock after all M2c upgrades and max 5 1100kv because even whit vitavon gears always diff was blowing up,landing on power,landing perfect,landing anyways always ring diff gears was a problem,back to stock,sold,outcast 8s exb and now listed foe sale 5 scale is different game,no problems whit the O8S but too heavy to jump and do all crazy thing that the K6 and can handle no problems,hopefully sharing this whit u helps to take a decision in the long run,bless day
I don't know what to tell you. My X-Maxx diffs have been going strong for like a year now after I beefed up my diffs with the mentioned components. And I don't even treat my X-Maxx nice. My Max 5 and 1100kv 5687 motor have been in my X-Maxx for like 3 years now. Before I did the beef ups on the diffs, I probably broke only like a handful of diff ring gears and output drives.

That interesting.

What about Vitavon aluminum Diff case, Diff cover bulkhead, Upper Bulkhead and Tie bar pin mount front and rear, plus shim it on both input pinion diff at front and rear to make it better stay hold up the diff to hard bash? I don't have xmaxx yet. I think it will work make diff more strong, because plastic upper bulkhead, etc. could flex to cause diff start skipping to fail if stand backflip or whatever.

That interesting.

What about Vitavon aluminum Diff case, Diff cover bulkhead, Upper Bulkhead and Tie bar pin mount front and rear, plus shim it on both input pinion diff at front and rear to make it better stay hold up the diff to hard bash? I don't have xmaxx yet. I think it will work make diff more strong, because plastic upper bulkhead, etc. could flex to cause diff start skipping to fail if stand backflip or whatever.
Both my Xmaxx and xrt have stock diffs and bulkheads and I haven't had a single problem after shimming the input pinions. Had numerous problems before then.

Both my Xmaxx and xrt have stock diffs and bulkheads and I haven't had a single problem after shimming the input pinions. Had numerous problems before then.
That sound great, it's important to make diff more stable it's annoying if diff fail lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back