Upgrades for my Granite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan312

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Looking at upgrading my granite mega just got it for Christmas everything is still stock. Wanting to switch over to lipo 2s and possibly go to brushless. I have heard the stock motors don't hold up with lipos. Is this true? Also looking at the castle brushless motor and esc combos. Wanting opinions on what the best batteries are and what my options are for bushless. Plus will I need to switch anything to go to brushless?

Santa brought my son a mega for Christmas and some Gen Ace 2S Lipos.

So far we toasted the stock motor 2 days after Christmas. Upgraded to a Castle SV3 and 3800kv motor brushless put on the deans ultra connector.

Then we toasted the plastic tranny , shredded the idler gear. Just built up the metal tranny from the instructions here. Waiting for it to dry out to give it a run.

It's was fast with the castle upgrade and does wheelies with ease. Hopefully get a little basher in tomorrow with some of his friends that got cars for Christmas.

You found out that the stock 15t motor cannot handle lipo power ;)

I am looking for that Castle combo for my BLX Fury roller myself!

However mine is a BLX, your son's a MEGA. That means the main gear and the motor pinion are suited for brushed power.
A 4-pole castle 3800kV is slightly more powerful than the BLX 3600kV, which is already crazy on 2S in most cases.

Check the Granite manual for the 32p spur-gear and motor pinion they recommend for the BLX version. My advice is to buy those for much better handling, and increased speed.
And do not worry, the wheelies will even be better. Maybe add an aftermarket wheelie bar to it as well ;)

Quick tip: if you buy a new spur-gear, the slipper plates are glued in place. So order those too!

My Granite Mega is holding up fine to 2S LiPo power, when something unrelated to power isn't broken on it. I've been running nothing but LiPo. Value Hobby G-Force 4000mAh.

Interesting that your slipper plates were glued in. Mine weren't.

Thanks, got an extra slipper and ordered the 32p pinion and spur. Seem to have trashed the diff after a a basher yesterday.

Going to rebuild the diff and go with a 4 spider setup. I didn't have the correct shims so

Thanks, got an extra slipper and ordered the 32p pinion and spur. Seem to have trashed the diff after a a basher yesterday.

Going to rebuild the diff and go with a 4 spider setup. I didn't have the correct shims so

My Granite Mega is holding up fine to 2S LiPo power, when something unrelated to power isn't broken on it. I've been running nothing but LiPo. Value Hobby G-Force 4000mAh.

Interesting that your slipper plates were glued in. Mine weren't.

Than Arrma should give you a BLX truck to congratulate you with the only 15t stock motor, which has survived more than 10 lipo packs ;)
I had 3 of those motors, and all did not last more than 2 or 3 runs.
And the line of users with the same experience is long!
WP_20141109_14_52_15_Pro.jpg

This was the last of the motors.
The black powder is actually what was left of one of the internal brushes...

I used 6000mAh 50C 2S by the way, but that should not make a huge difference.
Would make an interesting poll on this forum by the way :cool:

I had a 2011 MEGA Mojave at first, which did not have the plates glued in.
Both my 2013 2x BLX Fury and 1x MEGA Fury do have glued in plates.

The ones I ordered I did not glue in, and work fine even after a year of use.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back