Kraton Upgrading my V1 Kraton to EXB/V4/5 parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss81

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
I know. This is stupid and I should just buy a EXB. Blah blah blah.

I already have the EXB Chassis, motor mount, and roll cage, side pieces, Rx box, servo mount (Thanks JRC!!!)

My question is:
I'm sure my diff housings are wrong, but, are the actual diffs the same size?
My diffs have been bullet proof, they are well shimmed and get cleaned once a year. If I can just buy the plastic diff housings/bulkheads and swap my old diffs into the truck, I feel like that's a win win. What about center dogbones? Are they the same length?

Basically I'm doing this to get the bigger Rx box and much improved battery tray design. I lost my stupid V1 battery strap plastic pieces again during our move and rather than order new ones I ordered the V5 battery mount. Then, realized that chassis is completely different and nothing lined up. So then I ordered the EXB Chassis and motor mount.

What about the steering system? I know it's a different design today, but are the holes in the same place? I guess I'll just strip everything off the V1 and see what lines up and what needs replaced.

I also have a V1 Kraton that I picked up stock used. I would like to get the newer V5/EXB chassis, battery tray, receiver box. I wonder if I would be able to swap everything else over and continue to upgrade as I go.

I hope this gets some attention because I asked something g similar a week or so ago and never heard anything. I’ll be watching this one

I know. This is stupid and I should just buy a EXB. Blah blah blah.

I already have the EXB Chassis, motor mount, and roll cage, side pieces, Rx box, servo mount (Thanks JRC!!!)

My question is:
I'm sure my diff housings are wrong, but, are the actual diffs the same size?
My diffs have been bullet proof, they are well shimmed and get cleaned once a year. If I can just buy the plastic diff housings/bulkheads and swap my old diffs into the truck, I feel like that's a win win. What about center dogbones? Are they the same length?

Basically I'm doing this to get the bigger Rx box and much improved battery tray design. I lost my stupid V1 battery strap plastic pieces again during our move and rather than order new ones I ordered the V5 battery mount. Then, realized that chassis is completely different and nothing lined up. So then I ordered the EXB Chassis and motor mount.

What about the steering system? I know it's a different design today, but are the holes in the same place? I guess I'll just strip everything off the V1 and see what lines up and what needs replaced.

When you tried to swap the chassis, what all didn't line up?

When you tried to swap the chassis, what all didn't line up?
I haven't tried the chassisnyet. Only the battery box a few months ago
I hope this gets some attention because I asked something g similar a week or so ago and never heard anything. I’ll be watching this one
If nothing else ill figure it out as I've already started acquiring parts. I'll be sure to post pictures and updates as I go.

Update:

All of the screw holes line up on the V1 to the EXB chassis plate. The V1 chassis plate doesn't have a few of the holes that the EXB does for the new battery tray.

I started disassembly, and realized my 4 yr old Kraton chassis is still straight, and not only that but my vinyl wrap is on great shape.

so new plan, I'm going to drill new holes in my V1 chassis so I can use the new battery box.
20210408_094601.jpg

20210408_125321.jpg

So what i did was use 4 of the small 3mm holes and some spare 3mm lock nuts i had laying around and fastened the 2 chassis to each other. This way I could ensure the holes are near perfect.
Total of 5 screw holes and 2 plastic dowel pin holes. Overall it went pretty smooth. I have a small drill press and some countersink bits and it went well.
20210408_112448.jpg

So now, back to cleaning and reassembly.
All of your front/rear bulkheads, chassis braces, etc will work with the EXB chassis.

Lastly, I thought the EXB chassis was thicker.....it appears to be the same thickness as my V1.
20210408_094708.jpg

Nice work. I do notice that the V1 Kraton has relief indentions for the diff spur gear that is not present on the EXB chassis.
On the EXB chassis they are milled out of the other side, rather than Forged/Pressed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back