Kraton Used Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtlbrz

Reaction score
just picked up a used V2 Kraton. Planning to run a few times and then strip down and rebuild. It’s about a year old and looks in reasonable condition.

My plan is to learn how it’s built and probably replace all the bearings while I am in there. Will rebuild the diffs as well.

Anything else I should be looking for ?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks

Sounds like fun. Be careful removing screws that are into aluminum if you already didn't know that. (use heat if needed) Maybe check to see of the driveshafts are straight. They are easy to true up if you just spend a little time. The inner rear hub bearings get loose in the plastic hub...secure the new ones better. Shim the slop out of the bell cranks along with adding bearings. Use fresh Loctite to rebuild it. Don't use old stale stuff.

Thanks for the reminder. Steel screws in aluminum are never a good idea. Are the stainless upgrades worth the investment ?

Thanks for the reminder. Steel screws in aluminum are never a good idea. Are the stainless upgrades worth the investment ?
The steel screws into the aluminum isn't the problem. The problem is that wherever steel screws go into aluminum Arrma uses red loctite, and a lot of it. So some people tend to strip out the screw heads. I don't have any experience with stainless screws, but I read that they are not as strong as the steel screws, so I have not even tried them because of this reason.

Another thing you will want to do if the previous owner has not already done it is shim the diffs.....i shimmed the two bigger internal diff gears and the whole diff itself in the gearbox casings front and rear. Mine is a v1 but i don't know if the v2 addressed this or not.

I have one of the SS screw kits for my Kraton. Yes, they are a bit softer than the stock screws. I think a better investment would be from one of the Ebay chop shops - they sell a 90% screw kit, and all the tools from a new kit, for under $10. Then you get extra cross wrenches too.

If you want really good screws, you will need to dig thro the manual, put together a screw parts list, and order then individually from a place like Granger. Then you can get the good hardened screws. But, time, money, bla bla...

I have one of the SS screw kits for my Kraton. Yes, they are a bit softer than the stock screws. I think a better investment would be from one of the Ebay chop shops - they sell a 90% screw kit, and all the tools from a new kit, for under $10. Then you get extra cross wrenches too.

If you want really good screws, you will need to dig thro the manual, put together a screw parts list, and order then individually from a place like Granger. Then you can get the good hardened screws. But, time, money, bla bla...
I also believe that most of the stock screws are grade 12.9, just like you get from Grainger or Fastenal, so the screws would be the same I believe.

Shimming , bearings, and diff oil have been mentioned , so i'll leave those out. I would upgrade the servo mount for one, get some bumpers , maybe some new springs. Stock screws have been kind to me, just don't over-use the thread lock. I really like the convenience of the Hot Racing motor mount as well. Robinson Racing pinion gear is tough as nails and i would recommend that over the stock any day. If you bash a lot in spots with rocks and pebbles a dusty motors cover / or any shroud for that matter would be in your best interest. If you like to run for long periods of time, a motor fan might be a good upgrade as well. Pretty much your options are endless in terms of aftermarket upgrades. Most after what i mentioned would be a minimal upgrade though, but worth looking into if you wanna spice things up a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back