Mojave Using a castle MM2 + 2200kV motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caf3317

Reaction score
Hi all,

After many years on a Traxxas slash and many more upgrades I am considering moving to the Mojave. I am interested in the roller version because I have a castle MM2 + 2200kV laying around, do you think it would be good enough? (i.e. not overheating and enough torque).

I intend to run the truck on 4S for general bashing only. No crazy speed required, 50 km/h is good enough. what size gears would you recommend?

I leave in Norway so not concerned by the outside temperature getting too high :)

Thanks a lot.

The mojave 6s rtr version comes stock with a 2050kv motor, so I am sure it will be just fine. The mojave exb is just slightly heavier than the kraton exb (I put a 2200kv motor on 4s with a 15t pinion and that baby flew...insane on 6s) I have owned several Traxxas slashes, and the mojave blows them away!
The kraton exb roller is 9.35lb(4.25kg) and the mojave exb roller is 10lb 90z(4.8kg). With the weight difference, 4s might be underwhelming. You could put 6s in it and put in a smaller pinion or turn your throttle down to go a little slower.

Last edited:
I fully expect the MM2 and castle 1515 will overheat quite often if used on 6s.
People have overheating issues all the time with them in the Arrma 6s rigs.

It would run ok on 4s.

Comparing a Slash to a Mojave is quite different in the terms of overall size and weight.

I've got both a Slash and the Mojave and honestly I barely ever drive the Slash anymore. The Mojave is just so much cooler and faster and more stable and interesting to drive. Maybe that's just my love for large scale trucks coming out, but I adore my Mojave.

I will say though, the Mojave RTR comes with a 2050kv motor that will already overheat on a 15t pinion if you are driving in grass. If you bash all on dirt, the castle might be okay with 6S and the 15T pinion, but just maybe. On grass the castle 2200KV will overheat for sure.

As Liberty said, the Mojave is heavier even than the other Arrma 6S trucks. It needs a good bit of torque from a motor in the 1600-1900 KV range.

Lots of people have had good luck with the Hobbywing 4985 1650Kv / MAX6 motor/esc combo, but I honestly dislike that motor comboed with the MAX6. I really prefer the feel and control of a sensored castle system.

Thanks for the feedback. As said I only intend to run 4S, top speed is not interesting for me 30 mph would be enough. Any advice on pinion size in this case to avoir overheating. Will run also on grass, sand, snow etc...

I am fully aware of the difference in size with the slash but looking for bigger scale and more realistic behaviour

Thanks for the feedback. As said I only intend to run 4S, top speed is not interesting for me 30 mph would be enough. Any advice on pinion size in this case to avoir overheating. Will run also on grass, sand, snow etc...

I am fully aware of the difference in size with the slash but looking for bigger scale and more realistic behaviour

I think it should run cool on 4s especially with your cool ambient temps.
I would probably stick with something close to factory 6s gearing (some thing like 14/50 initially) and check temps with the IR gun often.

Last edited:

Well, just running on 4S the Castle 2200kv should be perfectly fine. The stock pinion for the 2050kv motor is a 15T so I'd start out with that and just go up a couple of teeth for a little more speed if the temps are fine.

Also I wouldn't say the Mojave drives realistically when compared to the UDR or the big Losi SBRs. It's got independent rear suspension like the slash does, not a live rear axle like the UDR or SBR. So it handles and turns a good bit better.

It does absolutely dwarf the slash though and the EXB body is gorgeous.

If you plan on running on sand, dirt, snow, etc... I would highly recommend getting either a dusty motors cover or the Scorched RC inner fenders. They really help keep the inside of the chassis clean. I have them both. Also, spare parts for the Mojave are very hard to find right now, so if you see the commonly broken parts available, make sure to stock up. For me the most easily broken parts are the bumper braces and the body post mounts. Other than that, it has been a very solid truck (I haven't been easy on it either).

thaks for the feedback. I already use the Dusty cover on all the Slash in the house (3off, 1 for me heavily modified and 2 for my 2 daughters). I would not run a RC car without this protection, saves so much on cleaning :D
There is no spare parts available in Norway at the moment but the EXB is available. Might pull the trigger for the holidays...
From what I can see in the forum this rig doesn't need any upgrade (the EXB one), especially run in 4S. It should be able to handle grass, snow and sand straight out of the box. No crazy jumps, backflip and high speed for me, just bashing in the area around my place with the kids.

The only parts I have broken are the body mounts and the bumper support (both are still on the truck though because all the spares have been backordered for over a month). I don't know if it is poor driving skills or just the raw power, but (even if I let off the gass right before driving off a flat spot and getting air the truck goes nose up. I mean verticle. It was the learning curve that did most of the damage...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back