Senton Using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste on motor heatsink

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeshandssay

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Senton 6s
So I got my thermal paste in the mail and applied it. I put thin beads against the grain of the motor and spread it with a stiff plastic scraper. Thinking back should have used a putty knife.

It was a little messy but came off with just a hard rubbing of paper towels.

I was worried the heatsink would scrap a ton off and there would be more mess to clean up. But NO!!! It went on well just felt like there was honey when putting it on. Had to go slow and twist a little. This putty combined with a fan.... I think I'm ready to use the pantyhose trick or motor cover and not worry about temps AS much.

Attachments

• 20200508_225558.jpg
    20200508_225558.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 255
  • 20200508_225614.jpg
    20200508_225614.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 158
So I got my thermal paste in the mail and applied it. I put thin beads against the grain of the motor and spread it with a stiff plastic scraper. Thinking back should have used a putty knife.

It was a little messy but came off with just a hard rubbing of paper towels.

I was worried the heatsink would scrap a ton off and there would be more mess to clean up. But NO!!! It went on well just felt like there was honey when putting it on. Had to go slow and twist a little. This putty combined with a fan.... I think I'm ready to use the pantyhose trick or motor cover and not worry about temps AS much.

with the splines on the motor housing it kinda makes using paste difficult. On a flat surface youd just put a dot and smash. pads would work better but then you'd have pockets in the recesses. isopropyl will get it off quick tho.

The problem with using thermal paste like this is that it is designed to fill in small gaps between two mating metal surfaces. That's why heat sinks and the tops of CPUs are so smooth. The wider the gap gets the poorer it performs. I don't know that this will have the desired effect.

The problem with using thermal paste like this is that it is designed to fill in small gaps between two mating metal surfaces. That's why heat sinks and the tops of CPUs are so smooth. The wider the gap gets the poorer it performs. I don't know that this will have the desired effect.

Hear that. Totally. I just figured the conductivity would be way better than just air channels.

It looks like you’ve got way too much on there, thermal paste goes on in a very thin layer. It’s only intended to fill tiny imperfections. I think you're going to get better performance with a thin layer only on the mating surfaces. Clogging up the air channels doesn’t seem likely to make things better.

Another thing to keep in mind, AS5 dries out relatively quickly and will likely start cracking in this application. If that happens, ceramique will probably hold up better.

It looks like you’ve got way too much on there, thermal paste goes on in a very thin layer. It’s only intended to fill tiny imperfections. I think you're going to get better performance with a thin layer only on the mating surfaces. Clogging up the air channels doesn’t seem likely to make things better.

Another thing to keep in mind, AS5 dries out relatively quickly and will likely start cracking in this application. If that happens, ceramique will probably hold up better.
Ah good point. Should have used the ceramic!

I went that route with silicone based paste but it was way too messy for my taste.
I ended up using these sheets instead:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JDW2RB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, cooling improved significantly as the heat-sink had too many gaps.
How'd you get it on? My heat sink is way too tight no matter which way I try to clip or slide it on all the sheet disintegrates off by the time the hs is seated. I went through 2 heat sink size rectangles so far trying to get it on there. 😬

Last edited:
Just don't do it.
Best option is an open mounting frame and blowing air directly on the can.

The heat sinks I used had 2 shells and that was an easy installation. After several months, I threw that out as dirt accumulated and it just looked bad.

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154747165480

You use that particular one? If so how many fans you been through? Not to mention I'm fairly certain just eyeballing it that design will not fit the 3/4s trucks.

EDIT:

Didn't realize the sheet suggestion was from 2 years ago whoops chalk it up to fever induced delirium 😂

The surpass double fan works great on my Notorious, so I'll just do a similar set up on the Granite. It's not like it's magnet melting hot as is anyways just want a little extra cooling because I'm running 4s on a 3s motor.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back