Notorious Utter disappointment *Updated*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiyo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Not even 5 runs and my brand new Notorious 6S' ESC is toast. Bought from Horizon who is 4-6 weeks back ordered on replacements. Not what I was expecting or hoping for considering I just just got back in to hobby after a 25 year absence. Took the wind right outta my sails. Good looking paperweight though.

Not even 5 runs and my brand new Notorious 6S' ESC is toast. Bought from Horizon who is 4-6 weeks back ordered on replacements. Not what I was expecting or hoping for considering I just just got back in to hobby after a 25 year absence. Took the wind right outta my sails. Good looking paperweight though.
I feel you totally mine went out 3 weeks after getting it and I'm still waiting for a replacement. I talked to someone a few days ago and they told me I might not get it this time. They got a shipment or will get one this week. But I may not get it it might be the next shipment midmay. For paying what we did I think thsts crap. Sorry happened to you too bro.

5 runs and gone? That's pretty unfortunate unless of course there were other factors at play. Too much water over the electronics maybe. Running it into thermal mode and turning it off and on again to get a few more pulls out of it. There's a lot of ways you could fry an esc, but most of them are accounted to overworking or abusing the system. Not saying you did, but since you felt inclined to come here and vent your frustration, I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents too. Hope you get that "free" new one soon from Horizon Hobby so you can come back and tell us about all the other failures that beast of a truck is going to have.

5 runs and gone? That's pretty unfortunate unless of course there were other factors at play. Too much water over the electronics maybe. Running it into thermal mode and turning it off and on again to get a few more pulls out of it. There's a lot of ways you could fry an esc, but most of them are accounted to overworking or abusing the system. Not saying you did, but since you felt inclined to come here and vent your frustration, I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents too. Hope you get that "free" new one soon from Horizon Hobby so you can come back and tell us about all the other failures that beast of a truck is going to have.
I feel you. I was taking it SUPER easy, set the TX to 50% throttle until I got the hang of it. No water, hell never even launched it! Figured I give it a few runs to settle and break in. Well, it's broke(n) in now.
I feel you totally mine went out 3 weeks after getting it and I'm still waiting for a replacement. I talked to someone a few days ago and they told me I might not get it this time. They got a shipment or will get one this week. But I may not get it it might be the next shipment midmay. For paying what we did I think thsts crap. Sorry happened to you too bro.
I spoke to them this morning and was today 4 weeks at least. At least you got to play for three weeks!

Sorry to hear about this! The backorders are still really bad. Very frustrating to say the least.

Can we investigate this a little bit? Is the ESC fried or is it still turning on? Does anything else electrical get power?
Absolutely! I am going by what I was told by Horizon tech support only. ESC powers on, after initial green startup sequence, straight to blinking red led. I initially thought it was my batteries. Still have steering so rx and servo are still good. Manual was super thin on tech info.

according to the manual, blinking red is a sign of LVC:

6AC6B48E-3242-4699-8BF7-B9EAFFD448E8.jpeg

Do you have another battery to test with? Just wondering if you might have a bad cell in your pack.

If you’re getting steering, that’s a good thing. When the spektrum servos go bad, they usually take out the whole electrical system. Just for giggles, unplug the steering servo. See if you get throttle back after that.

according to the manual, blinking red is a sign of LVC:

View attachment 137795

Do you have another battery to test with? Just wondering if you might have a bad cell in your pack.
That's what I thought until Support told my it was the ESC. I tried two different 2S packs. Smart 50C 5000mAh. Starting to think I should try a third.

Yeah, LVC is typically steering no throttle, vs ESC failure throttle no steering, or no response at all. May I ask what you are using to charge the 2S smarts you mentioned earlier, as well as charge settings? (protip: snag a cheap battery checker if you are running the gen1 smarts that have a big lead and a small lead coming out of the battery; it'll help you keep an eye on them and let you keep them healthier for much better longevity)

Yeah, LVC is typically steering no throttle, vs ESC failure throttle no steering, or no response at all. May I ask what you are using to charge the 2S smarts you mentioned earlier, as well as charge settings? (protip: snag a cheap battery checker if you are running the gen1 smarts that have a big lead and a small lead coming out of the battery; it'll help you keep an eye on them and let you keep them healthier for much better longevity)
Smart S2100. Please, please tell me I am the ID10T behind the wheel and have the charger set wrong. According to the manual and everything I could find< All I was supposed to have to do is plug in the battery and balance lead and hit start. I did raise the current to 5.0A. Both cells in each pack show up, have very similar voltages at 4.19V.

Admittedly, I haven't done any charging with the S2100, so I don't know for sure. Do you see the cell voltages low and them climb when you charge them? I am wondering if you have it set to cut off at max voltage of 4.19 per cell and aren't actually charging them.

Couple screen shots of the charger with one pack attached. I can't raise the voltage above 4.20V.

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

Well... you could buy a take off esc, or get a max6 then keep your returned stock esc or sell it. Then at least your not twiddling your thumbs for an undetermined amount of time.

Is it a fast blinking red light? Same thing happened to me and it turned out to be the receiver.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back