Notorious Utter disappointment *Updated*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2S on the BLX185 should be fine. I'd guess it was run at 4S tho. I would advise a Max8 instead of a Max6. Firma 150a is a rebranded Max8.
(missed the 2S with loop connector, too)

Try running it on 4S, just to see what happens.

I'm running (2) 2S. Truck came with a jump lead for single use.
I believe this might be your problem. LVC might not be calibrated correctly in your esc. I'm almost certain it won't run on a single 2s. If you have tried to run it on 4s, could be one of the batteries is the issue.

Having Lipo checker is a must, they’re cheap and give invaluable info on your batts. Have any rc friends that could loan you batts to test and rule out batts as the problem? I got that same charger in a bundle when I got back into rc, a week later in went back to the store and I just bought the batteries out if it, I was not a fan.

@damiyo You have a 3S to 6S ESC (Firma 150 or BLX185) , running on 2S will not work reliably. LVC is very low on the Firma's and that is most likely what you are experiencing.
Is the symptom the same when you are on 3S/4S/6S?

Might want to RTFM 😇 ;). If this is on 3S or higher please go into a little more detail.
We haven't seen a lot of issues with the ESC but what you are describing could also be a different issue.

Did you try to run it with only one 2s batt in the truck or not? We need clarification on that.

That's what I thought until Support told my it was the ESC. I tried two different 2S packs. Smart 50C 5000mAh. Starting to think I should try a third.
This is what made me think that you tried 2S only, that can actually kill the ESC under load but I could be wrong and your writeup wasn't all that detailed.

If you do have 2 identical 2S packs, plug them in both at the same time by removing the jumper plug. Is the issue repeating?

If it is working, be cautious as 2S on 50% is a crawler compared to 4S.

Sorry let me clarify, I have tried running a single 2S, tried (2) separate packs in single mode. From the first power on it was running dual 2S' perfectly. Never fully discharged the packs after each of 4 runs. After 5th run, notice reverse wasn't working (wasn't sure if I bumped the thumb buttons a few times). Power on this morning, steering now forward. Reset the ESC by holding set for 5 seconds. "Fully" charged both packs (see pics above). Same result. Powers on, startup green flash and beeps, fast flashing red LED.

The esc will not work with a single 2s battery, you need 3s at the minimum. https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMXSE1150

Input Voltage: 11.1 - 22.2V

Is the throttle trim knob centered?
InkedSPMSLT350_A6_TRR9NNGP_LI.jpg

Have you tried to recalibrate the throttle?
4wer564.jpg

Sorry let me clarify, I have tried running a single 2S, tried (2) separate packs in single mode. From the first power on it was running dual 2S' perfectly. N

What @slick2500 mentioned above. a 2S back by itself with a jumper on the second IC5 connector will not work on the Firma 150 due to the input voltage requirements of the ESC. You need to run both 2S packs in series for the Firma 150.

@damiyo
Like we stated, you must run both packs in series i.e. 4S. On 2S you can actually permanently damage your ESC, worst case.
In addition, when you performed a reset on the ESC you erased all valid setting including the valid throttle range. You have to perform a throttle range adjust or the ESC will have no idea what you are trying to do.
You have to put trim to zero and throttle to 100% prior doing the throttle range (calibration) adjust per manual. Right now your ESC is doing everything right and is not defective, based on my understanding of the issue.

feel free to ask for help but Youtube has videos as well. Search for Firma ESC calibration or look at below.

*UPDATE*
As a few have noted the Notorious ESC will not run on 2S. I had a pack failure (verified by my local shop) and I didn't know it. I just received a replacement from Horizon and I am going to install and try again. Thank you all for the help and insight! You folks rock!!!
I feel you totally mine went out 3 weeks after getting it and I'm still waiting for a replacement. I talked to someone a few days ago and they told me I might not get it this time. They got a shipment or will get one this week. But I may not get it it might be the next shipment midmay. For paying what we did I think thsts crap. Sorry happened to you too bro.
I just got my replacement. If you haven't gotten a tracking number by now I would reach out to them. They said a month and I got it in less than a week.

Did you try to run it with only one 2s batt in the truck or not? We need clarification on that.
I ran it on the bench with 2S at pulse throttle
@damiyo
Like we stated, you must run both packs in series i.e. 4S. On 2S you can actually permanently damage your ESC, worst case.
In addition, when you performed a reset on the ESC you erased all valid setting including the valid throttle range. You have to perform a throttle range adjust or the ESC will have no idea what you are trying to do.
You have to put trim to zero and throttle to 100% prior doing the throttle range (calibration) adjust per manual. Right now your ESC is doing everything right and is not defective, based on my understanding of the issue.

feel free to ask for help but Youtube has videos as well. Search for Firma ESC calibration or look at below.
@jkflow You reminded me that I really should RTFM. Last time I had an RC it was a Blackfoot in "88. Times have changed. Much appreciated the input. Gonna take a step back, hence my other post.. I have a new ESC that I am hesitant to install, not trying to fry another one LOL. Brother is working on a budget LOL

Last edited:
By all means try out your 'old' ESC and see if it is truly dead. Look up the manual for the Firma 150 ESC via the Horizon website. The manual is a little odd to read imho. Feel free to ask but plenty pof youtube stuff available as well. I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with your ESC and you got a spare freebee.

I had a similar issue with my K6S. Flashing red light on blx185. I tried reset got it working then nothing no steering or throttle and esc blinking red.
What I found was the wiring from esc to radio (3 wire) was damaged under the esc mount. This caused two receivers of mine to be fried before I put a new esc in it. My original esc is probably ok if I repair the wiring but haven’t tried it yet, nervous to fry another receiver lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back