Premium members don't see ads. Click here to upgrade.

V1 Typhon Build

Just a Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Senton, Typhon 6s
So, I finally got a Typhon.

I've never owned a buggy yet and after seeing how effective truggified Typhons are, I wanted to get one. So along came this V1. The previous owner(s) had already truggified it, added a savox servo, Hot Racing servo mount, RPM wing mount, swapped in new bearings, and even recalled the red ESC.
The newcomer to the bashing crew.

Its definitely seen some love. First thing was to strip it down and figure out what needs attention.
After cleaning everything and tearing it down its only appears the center diff needs to be rebuilt (still doing them all). I have a new case coming in tomorrow, so that will have to wait. From all my Jennys orders for my Kratons, I had the updated battery tray and I bought a V4 sliding motor mount for this.

Note, a Kraton battery tray doesn't fit off the bat. I lined up my not too badly bent Kraton chassis and drilled new holes for the newer battery tray. I used some tig filler rod to help center the Kraton chassis to the Typhon chassis and clamped it down for drilling.

These are the 4 holes that have to be drilled to fit a newer Kraton battery tray in a Typhon. I went a little deep with countersinking, but it'll be fine.

Back inside, I swapped over the old motor from my V3 Kraton and reassembled. I also swapped the ESC connectors to XT150s since that's what I've got on all my 6s stuff now. Added the V4 sliding motor mount, and its looking good.

Thats it for tonight. I have some Voltage hobbies parts on their way, and I need to make up my mind whether to upgrade the radio with just another tactic, or maybe buy something nice. The plan is to make this thing an absolute unit. M2C chassis will probably be later on this year.

More to come...

crimsonfancy

A guy that doesn't know when to give up.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
BigRock 4x4, Kraton 6s, Notorious, Talion, Typhon 6s
So, I finally got a Typhon.

I've never owned a buggy yet and after seeing how effective truggified Typhons are, I wanted to get one. So along came this V1. The previous owner(s) had already truggified it, added a savox servo, Hot Racing servo mount, RPM wing mount, swapped in new bearings, and even recalled the red ESC.
The newcomer to the bashing crew.
View attachment 40658

Its definitely seen some love. First thing was to strip it down and figure out what needs attention.
View attachment 40661
After cleaning everything and tearing it down its only appears the center diff needs to be rebuilt (still doing them all). I have a new case coming in tomorrow, so that will have to wait. From all my Jennys orders for my Kratons, I had the updated battery tray and I bought a V4 sliding motor mount for this.

Note, a Kraton battery tray doesn't fit off the bat. I lined up my not too badly bent Kraton chassis and drilled new holes for the newer battery tray. I used some tig filler rod to help center the Kraton chassis to the Typhon chassis and clamped it down for drilling.
View attachment 40667

These are the 4 holes that have to be drilled to fit a newer Kraton battery tray in a Typhon. I went a little deep with countersinking, but it'll be fine.
View attachment 40668

Back inside, I swapped over the old motor from my V3 Kraton and reassembled. I also swapped the ESC connectors to XT150s since that's what I've got on all my 6s stuff now. Added the V4 sliding motor mount, and its looking good.
View attachment 40671
View attachment 40672

Thats it for tonight. I have some Voltage hobbies parts on their way, and I need to make up my mind whether to upgrade the radio with just another tactic, or maybe buy something nice. The plan is to make this thing an absolute unit. M2C chassis will probably be later on this year.

More to come...
Nice work! Thanks for the details and photos. Looks you're motivated to get it right. 👍👍🍻🍻

Just a Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Senton, Typhon 6s
I got my latest huge order of shims and diff parts to last til the end of the year...hopefully.

The center diff that came with it doesn't look like its ever seen any love. I cracked it open and it was dry as a bone. The case was absolute garbage too. So I started with all new parts, filled it with 200k, and started reassembly.

I street tested on one battery and I hit thermal. Gearing checked out in my mind, the only thing I could think of was the fan was garbage. Since I have had a "history" with stock esc fans, I wanted to try something a little different. I bought this castle 40mm fan as the next in line for my Hex6/Max6 fan destruction saga, but I haven't needed it yet. So Castle or Hobbywing fanboys, enjoy.

With everything sorted, knowing I'll have good airflow to keep the ESC cool, lets see if the Typhon can keep up with my Yellow Kraton.

Well, the first run was far from flawless. It took me some time to adjust to the shorter chassis and having pretty incredible backflip capability. The smaller pitch moment of inertia on this vs the Kraton makes it actually a lot of fun. I had a pretty rough landing and I can tell the servo wasn't to thrilled about that. And I hit thermal only after a few mins.
2 blades broken off when I wasn't even going that hard on it...c'mon guys. Back to my cheapo fans, which seem to last forever on a BLX 185. I just yanked the servo and dropped in my trusty $17 amazon special that's in both my Kratons. Looking at the specs for that Savox, it doesn't even belong in something like this.

Well, its all back together waiting for another outing and other parts. Might not be able to get much run time this weekend

Premium members don't see ads. Click here to upgrade.