V1 Typhon Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just a Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
So, I finally got a Typhon.

I've never owned a buggy yet and after seeing how effective truggified Typhons are, I wanted to get one. So along came this V1. The previous owner(s) had already truggified it, added a savox servo, Hot Racing servo mount, RPM wing mount, swapped in new bearings, and even recalled the red ESC.
The newcomer to the bashing crew.

Its definitely seen some love. First thing was to strip it down and figure out what needs attention.

After cleaning everything and tearing it down its only appears the center diff needs to be rebuilt (still doing them all). I have a new case coming in tomorrow, so that will have to wait. From all my Jennys orders for my Kratons, I had the updated battery tray and I bought a V4 sliding motor mount for this.

Note, a Kraton battery tray doesn't fit off the bat. I lined up my not too badly bent Kraton chassis and drilled new holes for the newer battery tray. I used some tig filler rod to help center the Kraton chassis to the Typhon chassis and clamped it down for drilling.

These are the 4 holes that have to be drilled to fit a newer Kraton battery tray in a Typhon. I went a little deep with countersinking, but it'll be fine.

Back inside, I swapped over the old motor from my V3 Kraton and reassembled. I also swapped the ESC connectors to XT150s since that's what I've got on all my 6s stuff now. Added the V4 sliding motor mount, and its looking good.

Thats it for tonight. I have some Voltage hobbies parts on their way, and I need to make up my mind whether to upgrade the radio with just another tactic, or maybe buy something nice. The plan is to make this thing an absolute unit. M2C chassis will probably be later on this year.

More to come...

So, I finally got a Typhon.

I've never owned a buggy yet and after seeing how effective truggified Typhons are, I wanted to get one. So along came this V1. The previous owner(s) had already truggified it, added a savox servo, Hot Racing servo mount, RPM wing mount, swapped in new bearings, and even recalled the red ESC.
The newcomer to the bashing crew.
View attachment 40658

Its definitely seen some love. First thing was to strip it down and figure out what needs attention.
View attachment 40661
After cleaning everything and tearing it down its only appears the center diff needs to be rebuilt (still doing them all). I have a new case coming in tomorrow, so that will have to wait. From all my Jennys orders for my Kratons, I had the updated battery tray and I bought a V4 sliding motor mount for this.

Note, a Kraton battery tray doesn't fit off the bat. I lined up my not too badly bent Kraton chassis and drilled new holes for the newer battery tray. I used some tig filler rod to help center the Kraton chassis to the Typhon chassis and clamped it down for drilling.
View attachment 40667

These are the 4 holes that have to be drilled to fit a newer Kraton battery tray in a Typhon. I went a little deep with countersinking, but it'll be fine.
View attachment 40668

Back inside, I swapped over the old motor from my V3 Kraton and reassembled. I also swapped the ESC connectors to XT150s since that's what I've got on all my 6s stuff now. Added the V4 sliding motor mount, and its looking good.
View attachment 40671
View attachment 40672

Thats it for tonight. I have some Voltage hobbies parts on their way, and I need to make up my mind whether to upgrade the radio with just another tactic, or maybe buy something nice. The plan is to make this thing an absolute unit. M2C chassis will probably be later on this year.

More to come...
Nice work! Thanks for the details and photos. Looks you're motivated to get it right. ????

I got my latest huge order of shims and diff parts to last til the end of the year...hopefully.

The center diff that came with it doesn't look like its ever seen any love. I cracked it open and it was dry as a bone. The case was absolute garbage too. So I started with all new parts, filled it with 200k, and started reassembly.

I street tested on one battery and I hit thermal. Gearing checked out in my mind, the only thing I could think of was the fan was garbage. Since I have had a "history" with stock esc fans, I wanted to try something a little different. I bought this castle 40mm fan as the next in line for my Hex6/Max6 fan destruction saga, but I haven't needed it yet. So Castle or Hobbywing fanboys, enjoy.

With everything sorted, knowing I'll have good airflow to keep the ESC cool, lets see if the Typhon can keep up with my Yellow Kraton.

Well, the first run was far from flawless. It took me some time to adjust to the shorter chassis and having pretty incredible backflip capability. The smaller pitch moment of inertia on this vs the Kraton makes it actually a lot of fun. I had a pretty rough landing and I can tell the servo wasn't to thrilled about that. And I hit thermal only after a few mins.

2 blades broken off when I wasn't even going that hard on it...c'mon guys. Back to my cheapo fans, which seem to last forever on a BLX 185. I just yanked the servo and dropped in my trusty $17 amazon special that's in both my Kratons. Looking at the specs for that Savox, it doesn't even belong in something like this.

Well, its all back together waiting for another outing and other parts. Might not be able to get much run time this weekend

Well this past Friday I screwed up. I threw the buggy wheels on that came with the Typhon and went for some speed bashing. It was really moving and was a blast doing speed runs with the 20t pinion. But my last pass I lost it and tumbled into a concrete pole. I bent and broke all sorts of stuff, the only part I didn't have on hand was a shock body (I flattened the body pretty good). Jennys RC to the rescue.

I picked up some belted tires for the Typhon today and spent some time working on a front nose I want on the typhon for street bashing and speed runs. Got a little CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) work done tonight. Still unsure of it right now, but I think I'd be better off having the air run over the front suspension vs going through it and potentially entering the front of the body. It'll be made out of a sheet of aluminum and tig welded together.

So one of my goals for this Typhon is to be a true dual purpose basher and speed run buggy (I'm strongly considering cancelling my limitless preorder and invest in a nice radio or parts for this). I want to change minimal parts to go between the two modes. Obviously gearing will be changed (the V4 motor mount will make it easy to swap the center diff and motor pinion), I plan on making front and rear aluminum wings for speed runs, swap tires between "modes", but the most important part, I will not change the power system. This idea probably will end up in a fire, things going horribly wrong, or it could go oh so right.

I transferred my cardboard template over to a sheet of aluminum. Its some thin stuff, .025", but when everything is together it should be fairly rigid and lightweight. If I hit anything, this nose goes bye bye.

Cut it, brake it (had to do a bit by hand), and test fit it.

Now I'm at a crossroad. I have never TIG welded anything this thin, I usually do much thicker stuff like roll cage tubing or inter-cooler piping. I don't even have filler rod thin enough to deal with aluminum this thin. I'm thinking of making tabs on the other pieces and rivet the whole thing together. It wouldn't look as good and the airflow wouldn't be as clean, but assembly would be a million times easier and I could knock it out quick.

Lookin good! Nice design and ideas.

@Jerry-rigged I see your concern with Whataburger. I'm concerned as well but we'll see. So often it doesn't work out and I've experienced a big, public, brand- damaging food service sell-out first hand ...so I'm extra sceptical.

Yeah, but even if the product does not change, or even if it gets better, it is no longer a Texas company. ???
This is true. There's a lot at risk for these guys especially. More than food quality imo. Culture is what I hope won't suffer.

I opted for the riveting option vs welding. Its pretty thin stuff and the couple test pieces I tried to TIG weld didn't end up to my satisfaction. Overall I'm really happy how its turning out so far. I still have some stiffeners to add for the attachment points, and then I'll start to trim for shock clearance.

I have most of the parts now to start building my center spool. Its going to be cobbled together from mostly leftover parts and I'll start off with 20/34 gearing and work my way up from there for speed runs. I think I'll try to push the stock BLX185 and see if I can hit 100 with this nose. Here is the nose in its rough position with the Trenchers on it (they wont be on with this nose).

Unfortunately I landed hard on the rear on my last bash session and bent the chassis and center front driveshaft, so It'll be down for a bit. I may straighten the chassis since I don't want to add a bunch of weight just yet (or bend up an expensive chassis while I'm getting speed runs sorted out). This should give me some time to get the rest of the parts for the center spool and finish the front wing.

I'm not sure how many pieces there are to a Typhon, but its now in that many pieces and scattered across my table. I tore the front and rear diffs down, and the cases are trashed. And just my luck, one of the new o-rings I just put in for the output on the center diff is leaking. So time to rebuild all the diffs.

I got some new goodies today. Just bash it chassis and towers.

These parts are way to nice for something I'm going to beat up. I'm almost going to feel bad about launching this thing in the air. I still am waiting for my chassis braces, but I will start reassembly this weekend after I build up a whole new set of diffs.

The rest of the parts for my speed run spool should be here before the 4th, so we may end up with speed runs, beer, BBQ, and fireworks.

I'm not sure how I got lucky with this, but I built this spool with mostly leftover parts.

Since I've broken quite a few diffs between the 2 Kratons and Typhon, I had quite a bit of leftovers from ordering assemblies from Jennys. Here is what I used.
Diff input cup, normal diff bearing, metal insert for diff case (had two broken diff cases from the Typhon), the inner race of a bearing from I don't remember what, a X-01 speed pinion from Jennys, and a cut down Kraton drive shaft.

I ground flat spots for all of the grub screws and doused everything in red loctite. Outside to outside of the bearings is almost spot on, I'm only a few thousandths short, it should be ok.

I'm still figuring out how the nose is going to attach, but I might take it out for a couple shakedown runs this week.

Because speed run cars need heavy aluminum basher chassis. Haha.

Took the Typhon out for a quick shakedown to make sure everything was ok after the rebuild. Found during the rebuild the ackerman plate was badly bent, I'll gladly blame that for the poor steering beforehand.
The spool fit into the car great...if you can transfer power from the motor to it via bluetooth. A 20t pinion and 34t spur aren'g big enough for the motor mount, so I swapped the 34t to the motor and dropped my regular diff in. For science.

I pictured that pinion just eating the motor wires for lunch, so I tied them up around the center diff cover. That pinion is so rediculous, I love it. The gearing should be good into the triple digits, if you ignore physics. This should be fun.

I took it out for a "shakedown" this afternoon. This setup is something else.
On a stand, its pretty terrifying going full throttle. I made a couple part throttle passes to check steering, turned dual rate all the way down, and then started making some speed runs to see how hot the motor and esc were getting.

I doubt this is running triple digits yet, I need to mount my gopro on the rear so I can get some speed data, but man this thing is a rocket. Its at the point I want nothing to do with being on the same level as this. I'm standing in the bed of my truck from now on. I hit a little bump that managed to lift the front end up and the entire car went airborne, I grabbed the brake quick to bring the nose back down, but it was still sketchy.

I might trim everything off the back wing so it doesn't produce any downforce, and I'm getting excited about finishing the front nose for this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back