Limitless V2 differences - What they didn't tell you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I saw the new Limitless V2 with an XLX2 next to the receiver box and though I need to do that and get ride of the funky chassis brace I have. So I did some research.

The receiver box is tiny bit smaller ~3mm, but the real space comes from the battery box. It's 28mm smaller. Which means the large CNHL (178mm long) batteries won't fit any more.

V1 Battery Box
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/battery-box-set/ARA320510.html
This battery tray will accommodate batteries up to:
2.16in (55mm) wide​
7.00in (178mm) long​
2.16in (55mm) high​

V2 Battery Box
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/battery-box-set/ARA320660.html
2.16in (51mm) wide​
7.00in (150mm) long​
2.16in (70mm) high​

I "suspect" that if you wanted the smaller battery box it would align with the current holes. Something to try later. You could also probably drill some holes to realign the motor mount if and add the longer control arms if you wanted a full conversion. But for what it's worth, I'm staying with the V1. I installed the Perfect Pass Drive shafts which fixed the wobbles. I would like the XLX2 on flat pan but it is what it is.

Below I have the V1 (top) and V2 bottom and two scaled to match. The center brace is the same for both and is 309mm long which was used for the scaling. In this picture you can see the small difference in the receiver box and the large difference in the battery tray.
1659481306437.png

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for putting the visual together.

Is it easy to overlay one on top of the other (and make one translucent) to see how much wider the rear wheels are on the V2 compared to the V1?
V1 also has more pitched in rear wheels. Never noticed that until now.

I only have a few different brands of batteries in the 6s/4s variant. Zee/Sockin/Yowoo/CNHL. All of my batteries fit into the original limitless with tons of room to spare. I actually got annoyed having to push that lil moveable piece in the rear of the battery tray every single time. When I saw the V2 limitless batt box dimensions I was a little worried. I checked my yowoo 4s batteries and they claimed 155mm same as the 6s version.

I didn't want to believe I was screwed so I actually measured them myself and both of them were about 145mm. Made me wonder if most companies' measurements are wonky and they are including batt plugs or something I dunno but all my batteries will fit into v2 limitless just fine and that includes my CNHL 8000 mah racing 4's batts.

I only have a few different brands of batteries in the 6s/4s variant. Zee/Sockin/Yowoo/CNHL. All of my batteries fit into the original limitless with tons of room to spare. I actually got annoyed having to push that lil moveable piece in the rear of the battery tray every single time. When I saw the V2 limitless batt box dimensions I was a little worried. I checked my yowoo 4s batteries and they claimed 155mm same as the 6s version.

I didn't want to believe I was screwed so I actually measured them myself and both of them were about 145mm. Made me wonder if most companies' measurements are wonky and they are including batt plugs or something I dunno but all my batteries will fit into v2 limitless just fine and that includes my CNHL 8000 mah racing 4's batts.
Same. All but my chnl 6s packs. Ugh. 😅 but could always use skirts. Like many. To fix the problem I suppose.

Same. All but my chnl 6s packs. Ugh. 😅 but could always use skirts. Like many. To fix the problem I suppose.
I think most of the really fast guys (not me) are using the aftermarket bodies and are extending the sides or running a wider chassis so it's not an issue. But they also flip the motor and have lots of room for the ESC too.

I saw the new Limitless V2 with an XLX2 next to the receiver box and though I need to do that and get ride of the funky chassis brace I have. So I did some research.

The receiver box is tiny bit smaller ~3mm, but the real space comes from the battery box. It's 28mm smaller. Which means the large CNHL (178mm long) batteries won't fit any more.

V1 Battery Box
2.16in (55mm) wide​
7.00in (178mm) long​
2.16in (55mm) high​

V2 Battery Box
2.16in (51mm) wide​
7.00in (150mm) long​
2.16in (70mm) high​

I "suspect" that if you wanted the smaller battery box it would align with the current holes. Something to try later. You could also probably drill some holes to realign the motor mount if and add the longer control arms if you wanted a full conversion. But for what it's worth, I'm staying with the V1. I installed the Perfect Pass Drive shafts which fixed the wobbles. I would like the XLX2 on flat pan but it is what it is.

Below I have the V1 (top) and V2 bottom and two scaled to match. The center brace is the same for both and is 309mm long which was used for the scaling. In this picture you can see the small difference in the receiver box and the large difference in the battery tray.

They failed to update their "standard" measurements. I wish America would move to the metric system....

V1 Battery Box
2.16in (55mm) wide
7.00in (178mm) long
2.16in (55mm) high

V2 Battery Box
2.00in (51mm) wide
5.90in (150mm) long
2.75in (70mm) high

They failed to update their "standard" measurements. I wish America would move to the metric system....

V1 Battery Box
2.16in (55mm) wide
7.00in (178mm) long
2.16in (55mm) high

V2 Battery Box
2.00in (51mm) wide
5.90in (150mm) long
2.75in (70mm) high
The body has more clearance underneath? That's interesting.

The body has more clearance underneath? That's interesting.
It should be less as they slimmed the roof down a bit (From what I understand)
I believe they just provided longer straps for the battery tray so you could install a taller battery.

It should be less as they slimmed the roof down a bit (From what I understand)
I believe they just provided longer straps for the battery tray so you could install a taller battery.
I really think it's a minimal effort revision.

No change to the body or straps that I can tell. Both V1 and V2 have the same part numbers.

Arrma says: "Wider rear track increases stability"

I found this puzzling, because he rear diff housing, control arms, drive shafts and knuckles are all exactly the same part number. It turns out the axle stub, bearings and wheel hex are different. It looks like the bearings now have a rubber seal. The rubber seal is good for keeping the crap out, but doesn't make any statement about spinning better or worse.

Component
V1
V2
Description
Axle Stub
AR310431​
ARA310488​
8x36mm -> 8x39mm (from Talion)
Inner Bearing
ARA610018​
ARA610038​
Looks like the new one has a rubber sealed.
Outer Bearing
ARA610016​
ARA610037​
Wheel Hex
ARA310447​
ARA310484​
13.6mm -> 16.5mm Thick

So for $36 (no bearings) you can duplicate V2 rear track width improvement. Or you could just get wheels that have 4mm less offset.

1659637654671.png

I really think it's a minimal effort revision.

No change to the body or straps that I can tell. Both V1 and V2 have the same part numbers.

Arrma says: "Wider rear track increases stability"

I found this puzzling, because he rear diff housing, control arms, drive shafts and knuckles are all exactly the same part number. It turns out the axle stub, bearings and wheel hex are different. It looks like the bearings now have a rubber seal. The rubber seal is good for keeping the crap out, but doesn't make any statement about spinning better or worse.

Component
V1
V2
Description
Axle Stub
AR310431​
ARA310488​
8x36mm -> 8x39mm (from Talion)
Inner Bearing
ARA610018​
ARA610038​
Outer Bearing
ARA610016​
ARA610037​
Wheel Hex
ARA310447​
ARA310484​
13.6mm -> 16.5mm Thick

So for $36 (no bearings) you can duplicate V2 rear track width improvement. Or you could just get wheels that have 4mm less offset.

View attachment 233879
Maybe I'm easy to please but personally I think they did an above average job with the revision. It's not like the limitless v1 was horrible to begin with. When I think of minimal, I think of the new Traxxas X01 revision.

The large motor support alone is saving you 50$ from not having to get a pps mount. I say 50 because you might need to spend the 20$ on the new 56 series plate. A lot of people had to spend money on those center brace esc mounts too. Not needed anymore and the new diffs are also a really nice touch. Add in the improved spool and it seems like a nice deal in my opinion.

Maybe I'm easy to please but personally I think they did an above average job with the revision. It's not like the limitless v1 was horrible to begin with. When I think of minimal, I think of the new Traxxas X01 revision.

The large motor support alone is saving you 50$ from not having to get a pps mount. I say 50 because you might need to spend the 20$ on the new 56 series plate. A lot of people had to spend money on those center brace esc mounts too. Not needed anymore and the new diffs are also a really nice touch. Add in the improved spool and it seems like a nice deal in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it at all. I'm just looking at the differences in detail. Like what if I wanted to take adavantage of some of the new features or do a full conversion.

As you said the V1 platform is plenty good and you don't fix what ain't broken. In the end, it doesn't matter because the V1 is discontinued anyway.

However, if they plan to keep Limitless, Felony and Infraction all on the same chassis I would expect to see a V2 for them too.

I agree this revision helps minimize the issues. I believe anyone who gets serious about speed running above 120 mph will end up upgrading many parts anyway, but this makes for a better out-of-the-box 90-120 mph machine. 90% of people stay in that speed range to be honest.

I am a little concerned about people buying this and then wanting to street bash with it due to the 2.8 diffs, but for $25 they could buy a larger 48t 8mm gear for the spur.

The electronics/receiver box on the v2 is taken right from the Infraction and Felony. That battery trays are an all new part, and interestingly enough the top portion of the spool mount is included with the trays.

I think Arrma wanted to make for room for a longer Motor in it's stock configuration. (y)
The extreme rear Toe-In was always a complaint. Now it is more moderate Toe-In.
The battery trays may limit some lipo choices no doubt. But, honestly I never used heavier longer, high capacity lipos anyway. Adds too much weight IMHO. So the V1 longer lipo trays were a waste of usuable space. At least for me.
The V2 rear center driveshaft is shorter now. A BIG plus.
I think overall, the V2 is a winner.(y) I'm happy with all the changes.

And, I also notice that they never installed that crappy Hand Brake like they did with the V2 Infr.!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Being too lazy to check, what is the V2 Lim pricing????
And availability.
:)

TYVM.
$49.00 increase is realistic. Had to expect an increase. The V1 at $400. was never changed for some years now. I bought 4 all together. The Prerelease Demo V1 Lim I got was a QC nightmare. So I wont be buying a V2 till the dust settles. HH had to replace over $200 in parts that were assembled like a child built it. Locked diff at the rear. Cross pin was floating in the diff oil out the box. Wheels so tight and crushed at the hubs, I needed a 1/2" impact gun and 17MM socket to remove 3 of the 4 wheels. Crossthreaded Pivot ball nuts etc. I will wait till the V2 Lims are well into production.
Price not too bad at all.(y)

Last edited:
Back