Limitless V2 differences - What they didn't tell you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shaft from the motor is too short out of the mount to flip the pinion.

It is similar to the V1 spool in that regard. Just don't like that I have to fool around with spacers, shims and grub screws to mount a pinion on the spool shaft. If they opened up the hole on the slider about 3mm, any size pinion would fit and could be lined up to the og spur location.

Again, the shaft from my TP motor doesn't come out enough to flip the pinion. As for the PPS, mine was destroyed this summer and I'm not planning on buying a new one. The new motor mount in the V2 is huge and designed to be able to hold way wider motors. Want to utilize what's in the kit this time instead of replacing everything on a brand new car.
Go to the hardware store and pick up a stepped drill bit and open that sucker up. I did this on my original motor mount and it looked great. Does a much nicer and cleaner job than a Dremel :)
1662551252093.png

Go to the hardware store and pick up a stepped drill bit and open that sucker up. I did this on my original motor mount and it looked great. Does a much nicer and cleaner job than a Dremel :)
View attachment 241969

So I took a look at the stock motor plate a little closer. The issue is the 25mm spacing of the mounting holes. You can open the motor shaft hole up a bit but you are running into the chamfer of the M4 mounting holes so eventually the screws themselves may limit the opening size:

54617F94-69BB-4671-B531-55CE661A4F64.jpeg

The 30mm spacing allows for the bigger opening without running into the chamfer (TP5650 w/ 8mm shaft)

821E8BAA-9E6E-4992-A860-E91386373A6B.jpeg

The hole on the 56mm motor plate is cut larger than the standard plate and will let my Saga pinions sit down in there but the flat is not cut all the way down so there really is no option to mount the pinion that way.

View attachment 241966View attachment 241967

Measuring the two, I think the diameter of the opening is about 2mm larger on the 56mm plate. It’s also cut for M4*30 bolt pattern rather than M4*25
First thing I'm noticing is that the shaft of your motor is definitely longer than the one on mine. My rotor was a replacement for an original 5mm that snapped. It never occured to me that they may have sent a rotor for a slightly shorter can. If the shaft on my rotor was as long as what I'm seeing here, I could have easily flipped the pinion and had room for the set screw to seat. FML

So I took a look at the stock motor plate a little closer. The issue is the 25mm spacing of the mounting holes. You can open the motor shaft hole up a bit but you are running into the chamfer of the M4 mounting holes so eventually the screws themselves may limit the opening size:

View attachment 241970

The 30mm spacing allows for the bigger opening without running into the chamfer (TP5650 w/ 8mm shaft)

View attachment 241971
You're not wrong, but on my plate I found that if I step drilled it right up to the edge of the chamfer that the shoulder of an 8mm pinion would fit without rubbing. One thing to look out for is to make sure to use short enough grub screws that don't protrude outside of the pinion shoulder. Is it as neat as having the correct plate? No. But it does work. I suppose the argument against it might be that there aren't terribly many motors that have both a 25mm bolt pattern and an 8mm shaft. The TP 4080 and CC 1721 come to mind and I think you can get the 4070 with an 8mm shaft now. The 56 plate obviously wouldn't work for any of these motors.

View attachment 241969
I have a set, but I'm pretty sure the largest one isn't big enough. Great idea though. I think boring out the hole is the best option for now. I'm not convinced that moving the pinion on the spool was the best idea, but I guess I won't know until I make a few passes.

First thing I'm noticing is that the shaft of your motor is definitely longer than the one on mine. My rotor was a replacement for an original 5mm that snapped. It never occured to me that they may have sent a rotor for a slightly shorter can. If the shaft on my rotor was as long as what I'm seeing here, I could have easily flipped the pinion and had room for the set screw to seat. FML
TP has different length shafts (the part that protrudes outside the can I mean). My 4080 has a 30mm shaft, my 5680 has a 20mm shaft (I wasn't paying attention and just assumed it had a 30mm shaft also). It's a bit annoying but it's mitigated by the Joe Diaz spool which doesn't require spacers as it has shoulders that the bearings sit on so you can just position the spur wherever you like on the spool shaft.

First thing I'm noticing is that the shaft of your motor is definitely longer than the one on mine.

That's what she said .....

Are you using a 40 series motor? If so, I believe those only come with 20 mm long shafts. The 56 series come with 30 mm long shafts (and 20 mm on some as specified).

1662554386034.png

EDIT: Not sure why @Diem Turner has a 30mm long shaft for his 40 series. TP ... yay for consistent specs.

View attachment 241970

View attachment 241971
So there's an optional slide with wider spacing for bigger cans, but probably won't work on my 4070 2250, even though it has an 8mm shaft. FML x 2

So there's an optional slide with wider spacing for bigger cans, but probably won't work on my 4070 2250, even though it has an 8mm shaft. FML x 2
With the motor assembled, try and tap the rear side of the shaft and see if it will slide out the front a little more. Don’t wail at it with a ton of force but just little taps with a small hammer and punch. I’ve had to do this to my 4050 when the 5mm shaft snapped off a small bit. Was able to push the shaft thru the rotor enough to get a pinion on. Doing this with the motor assembled ensures you don’t go too far.

That's what she said .....

Are you using a 40 series motor? If so, I believe those only come with 20 mm long shafts. The 56 series come with 30 mm long shafts (and 20 mm on some as specified).

View attachment 241972

EDIT: Not sure why @Diem Turner has a 30mm long shaft for his 40 series. TP ... yay for consistent specs.
Mine is a 4070, and I do believe the shaft is shorter. I just went on the Arrma site and realized they have four different sliders. a 40, 50 and 56. I believe the stock kit uses the 50. I also noticed that Arrma offers a bunch of 8mm pinions. Is it possible that the pinions they make will fit the 50 series slide? Possible that they have a smaller circumfrence where the set screws attach compared to the Saga ones I currently have.

Mine is a 4070, and I do believe the shaft is shorter. I just went on the Arrma site and realized they have four different sliders. a 40, 50 and 56. I believe the stock kit uses the 50. I also noticed that Arrma offers a bunch of 8mm pinions. Is it possible that the pinions they make will fit the 50 series slide? Possible that they have a smaller circumfrence where the set screws attach compared to the Saga ones I currently have.

The joy of throwing money at something new to see what works. I'm trying to figure out how to make the 56 series plate work as the smallest pinion I can put on there with good mesh is a 38T ... and I wasn't planning on running 38/39 gearing.

With the motor assembled, try and tap the rear side of the shaft and see if it will slide out the front a little more. Don’t wail at it with a ton of force but just little taps with a small hammer and punch. I’ve had to do this to my 4050 when the 5mm shaft snapped off a small bit. Was able to push the shaft thru the rotor enough to get a pinion on. Doing this with the motor assembled ensures you don’t go too far.
I actually took the motor apart last night to clean and oil the bearings. There is probably only ~2mm of play in total. I think my only solution is to bore out the hole on the slide as much as possible, or find out if those Arrma pinions will work with the 50 series stock.
TP has different length shafts (the part that protrudes outside the can I mean). My 4080 has a 30mm shaft, my 5680 has a 20mm shaft (I wasn't paying attention and just assumed it had a 30mm shaft also). It's a bit annoying but it's mitigated by the Joe Diaz spool which doesn't require spacers as it has shoulders that the bearings sit on so you can just position the spur wherever you like on the spool shaft.
I mitigated that problem by using 8mm id x 10mm od shims. They're perfect for keeping bearings off the pinion.

The joy of throwing money at something new to see what works. I'm trying to figure out how to make the 56 series plate work as the smallest pinion I can put on there with good mesh is a 38T ... and I wasn't planning on running 38/39 gearing.
What about running a larger spur?
I actually took the motor apart last night to clean and oil the bearings. There is probably only ~2mm of play in total. I think my only solution is to bore out the hole on the slide as much as possible, or find out if those Arrma pinions will work with the 50 series stock.

I mitigated that problem by using 8mm id x 10mm od shims. They're perfect for keeping bearings off the pinion.
Did Arrma just recently start making 8mm pinions? I have a few of their spur/spool gears and they have a 15.8mm shoulder which is roughly equivalent to the shoulder on 8mm SAGA gears. I'd be a little surprised if the 8mm pinions from Arrma had a thinner shoulder.

Did Arrma just recently start making 8mm pinions? I have a few of their spur/spool gears and they have a 15.8mm shoulder which is roughly equivalent to the shoulder on 8mm SAGA gears. I'd be a little surprised if the 8mm pinions from Arrma had a thinner shoulder.
They have 8mm pinions, but there's no spec on the shoulder size (surprise surprise) They all start with ARA3111 folowed by 20 to 27 ie: Ara311120 is a 32 tooth mod 1, 21 is 33t and so on. Available on Horizon's site, but none of my lhs have them yet. I'd buy one just to test fit, but I don't like the idea of paying shipping from the US just to find out.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/pinion-gear-34t-mod1-safe-d8/ARA311122.html

They have 8mm pinions, but there's no spec on the shoulder size (surprise surprise) They all start with ARA3111 folowed by 20 to 27 ie: Ara311120 is a 32 tooth mod 1, 21 is 33t and so on. Available on Horizon's site, but none of my lhs have them yet. I'd buy one just to test fit, but I don't like the idea of paying shipping from the US just to find out.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/pinion-gear-34t-mod1-safe-d8/ARA311122.html
Yeah, I feel ya. Shipping would probably cost as much as the item...maybe more. I bought a pair of tail lights from Polo Creations for $12. Shipping was $36. Granted, I'm in Germany but that's just obscene.

I'm attempting to do that now with some SAGA pinions I just ordered.

But the SAGA pinions don't have a hole located 180 degrees from the set screw hole so I can't use the cross pins that are utilized on the current spool spurs. I think my two options are to (1) just use a grub screw on the flat of the spool shaft (hoping it lines up) or (2) grind down a cross pin so that it stops short of the exiting the shaft hole - not sure if there will be issues with wobbling.

I'm thinking #1 would be better as long as I can get the grub screw to line up with the flat.

But the SAGA pinions don't have a hole located 180 degrees from the set screw hole so I can't use the cross pins that are utilized on the current spool spurs. I think my two options are to (1) just use a grub screw on the flat of the spool shaft (hoping it lines up) or (2) grind down a cross pin so that it stops short of the exiting the shaft hole - not sure if there will be issues with wobbling.

I'm thinking #1 would be better as long as I can get the grub screw to line up with the flat.
Agreed on option #1. I think in that case it would probably be best to use a grub with a pointed tip.

Funny you bring up the flat part of the pool. Last night, that was one of the modifications I made on mine. I used a Dremel to grind out a slighly larger are of flat so that I could reverse the stock spool gear and have a place for the set screw to seat. Was it a hack? Sure was, but I'm going to get that damn car running if it means chopping every thing in it to make it work with what I have. For the record, I had to drill out the cross pin head because of red loctite. The spur is only being held on by one set screw as both openings at 180 are threaded on the Arrma pinions. I used a small enough bit that I didn't wreck the threads in the first hole, but I can't figure out how to remove the remaing metal that was left in the hole. Does anyone else see how bad this is going? I think it's time I take up needle point, but I'd probably still end up stabbing myself.

Does anyone else see how bad this is going? I think it's time I take up needle point, but I'd probably still end up stabbing myself.

As far as removing what's left, the only thing I can think of is chasing the hole with a tap but I is not a machinist.

I guess we should all sell our stuff and wait for the RTR Limitless to come out.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back