Limitless V2 differences - What they didn't tell you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the new Limitless V2 with an XLX2 next to the receiver box and though I need to do that and get ride of the funky chassis brace I have. So I did some research.

The receiver box is tiny bit smaller ~3mm, but the real space comes from the battery box. It's 28mm smaller. Which means the large CNHL (178mm long) batteries won't fit any more.

V1 Battery Box
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/battery-box-set/ARA320510.html
This battery tray will accommodate batteries up to:
2.16in (55mm) wide​
7.00in (178mm) long​
2.16in (55mm) high​

V2 Battery Box
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/battery-box-set/ARA320660.html
This battery tray will accommodate batteries up to:
2.16in (51mm) wide​
7.00in (150mm) long​
2.16in (70mm) high​

I "suspect" that if you wanted the smaller battery box it would align with the current holes. Something to try later. You could also probably drill some holes to realign the motor mount if and add the longer control arms if you wanted a full conversion. But for what it's worth, I'm staying with the V1. I installed the Perfect Pass Drive shafts which fixed the wobbles. I would like the XLX2 on flat pan but it is what it is.

Below I have the V1 (top) and V2 bottom and two scaled to match. The center brace is the same for both and is 309mm long which was used for the scaling. In this picture you can see the small difference in the receiver box and the large difference in the battery tray.
What batteries would fit in the v2 battery tray with minimum space being wasted?

What batteries would fit in the v2 battery tray with minimum space being wasted?
It's not the size of the battery but what you do with it.

Depends on how many "S's" you want, mAh capacity and brand preference. There should be dimensions on the website, Amain, CHNL, SMC, etc. I would just leave a little bit of margin.

Cnhl racing 8000MAH 120c 4s packs fit. You can also cut the end of the trays off and gain a few mm to fit larger packs. I can fit my yowoo 6s packs after doing that.

Cnhl racing 8000MAH 120c 4s packs fit. You can also cut the end of the trays off and gain a few mm to fit larger packs. I can fit my yowoo 6s packs after doing that.
I skipped a lot of this. I have a v1 and have 138mm long 3S 120c CNHL batteries in the mail. I am going to pull the trigger on an XLX2. In terms of the chassis: is the infraction reciever box/servo mount and the v2 battery tray direct replacements for the v1 limitless plastic? Do I need to drill to mount them onto the chassis and if I do this the XLX2 fits with batteries <150mm?

I skipped a lot of this. I have a v1 and have 138mm long 3S 120c CNHL batteries in the mail. I am going to pull the trigger on an XLX2. In terms of the chassis: is the infraction reciever box/servo mount and the v2 battery tray direct replacements for the v1 limitless plastic? Do I need to drill to mount them onto the chassis and if I do this the XLX2 fits with batteries <150mm?
Tbh i'm not sure if the v2 tray is a direct replacement but I would assume it would work. Yowoo claims my 6s battery is 155mm long and it fits with the xlx2 and the rear end of the tray cutoff, I actually run the battery on that side for weight lol. My smc 6300 mah 6s packs won't fit though.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the v1 and v2 chassis have different part numbers. Looks bad for direct compatibility re battery trays and and reciever box. Also the motor mount moved. Definitely drilling some holes to accomplish this swap.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for putting the visual together.

Is it easy to overlay one on top of the other (and make one translucent) to see how much wider the rear wheels are on the V2 compared to the V1?
If you have Pro Create on your iPad, you can layer as many images known as (pages) and you can adjust the transparency of each image and size them and skew or what ever. It’s not that hard to figure out bcs that’slike the main thing it does.

If you have Pro Create on your iPad, you can layer as many images known as (pages) and you can adjust the transparency of each image and size them and skew or what ever. It’s not that hard to figure out bcs that’slike the main thing it does.
That's all beyond my pay grade. ;)

For the first image in the thread, I just took both images then scaled against a known measurement. It happen to be the center brace that is in common for both. Then measured everything in scale to show the difference. It's Visio magic.

That's all beyond my pay grade. ;)

For the first image in the thread, I just took both images then scaled against a known measurement. It happen to be the center brace that is in common for both. Then measured everything in scale to show the difference. It's Visio magic.
I’m thinking of using two Lipo trays from the v2 and use them on the driver side of my v1. Has anyone done that? I also (just an idea) thinking if I were to just relocate the motor mount forward and drill the holes and use the v2 PP shafts and respective spool in order to satisfy the stock motor location, but there’s the large gear opening on the chassis that means I’d have to move the whole mount further back than what is reasonable based on your diagram. The v2 chassis is $60.. what do we need in order to copy the v2 motor mount positioning (Only) The v2 chassis and the v2 Lipo trays? That should be all we need to accommodate? Besides spool and shafts.

I’m thinking of using two Lipo trays from the v2 and use them on the driver side of my v1. Has anyone done that? I also (just an idea) thinking if I were to just relocate the motor mount forward and drill the holes and use the v2 PP shafts and respective spool in order to satisfy the stock motor location, but there’s the large gear opening on the chassis that means I’d have to move the whole mount further back than what is reasonable based on your diagram. The v2 chassis is $60.. what do we need in order to copy the v2 motor mount positioning (Only) The v2 chassis and the v2 Lipo trays? That should be all we need to accommodate? Besides spool and shafts.

What would you get from two different size battery trays? Typically you want the batteries to be identical.

For what it's worth I would just buy the V2 chassis plate, it's a lot of hassle to do the metal work and get it right. You will also need center mount, spool and drive shafts too. They are all different part numbers.

I was able to fit an xlx2 with the V1 receiver box

CC689573-60E4-4BBF-AEE3-B733CE214F60.jpeg

What would you get from two different size battery trays?
If possible I wouldn’t run battery trays at all. Just run some strap mounts such as Scorched and dual lock on the batteries and chassis to keep them from sliding back and forth. Then you aren’t limited to the trays. Granted I only have GT chassis but I’d rather not have to deal with the trays even in open wheel.

What would you get from two different size battery trays? Typically you want the batteries to be identical.

For what it's worth I would just buy the V2 chassis plate, it's a lot of hassle to do the metal work and get it right. You will also need center mount, spool and drive shafts too. They are all different part numbers.
.., no, it was two different ideas. I want two v2 trays to have them both fit on the driver side of the chassis after flipping the mount. I have to cut the existing Lipo tray in half on the passenger side because I need it to hold my skirts in place. I’m not bolting them ontop of the chasis bcs it will be tilted upwards and if you’v seen my skyline build, you’ll understand. I’m a paint & collision technician so fabrications aren’t a problem.

.., no, it was two different ideas. I want two v2 trays to have them both fit on the driver side of the chassis after flipping the mount. I have to cut the existing Lipo tray in half on the passenger side because I need it to hold my skirts in place. I’m not bolting them ontop of the chasis bcs it will be tilted upwards and if you’v seen my skyline build, you’ll understand. I’m a paint & collision technician so fabrications aren’t a problem.
Yes, I've seen the skyline, it's sweet.

I didn't think about doubling up on one side, it's a good idea and I've seen other do it. Unfortunately I built my car around my giant batteries. :banghead:

But as @LicketySplit said there are other options, that look much cleaner than the factory trays.
https://emperformanceproducts.com/p...elony-battery-tray-and-two-chassis-extenders/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3345098469...3gOfCShtSdjnkP9KVMT2nrIavA==|tkp:BFBMgpHav8Rh

Very clean, I like the EMP is a much better bargain with the side skirts Included, except both Lipo trays are serving two purposes right now. I can run harnesses under the carbon tray, but I’d like to use the skirts that I made for this build so they’d still have to be mounted flush and at 180°level instead of an upward tilt if they are mounted ontop of the chassis edge, bcs of its angled edge.

I liked the emp kit so much I bought a 2nd one. Now both my felony c8 and jota limitless use it. I think you could totally use a v1 battery tray on 1 side to hold 2 lipo as well. If I flip mount I get emp kit though as it just looks so nice =D

Back