Kraton V3 Diff Help - Removing Sun Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mboss

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Anyone have any tips for removing sun gear from v3 Kraton diffs....2/3 diffs came out...but could not get out last sun gear removed from diff cup. Tried pliers, removed drain plug screws and tried to pry from bottom...no luck. Never had this much trouble getting a gear out...what are your tips?

You can try putting the cup in a vice, or over a vice so the output cup is hanging free, then tap the center of the gear with a punch to try and get the pin to release from the back of the gear. I think it's the pin that gets stuck more so than the shaft, which sucks. Maybe the shock of tapping it a few times with a hammer will free it.

You can try putting the cup in a vice, or over a vice so the output cup is hanging free, then tap the center of the gear with a punch to try and get the pin to release from the back of the gear. I think it's the pin that gets stuck more so than the shaft, which sucks. Maybe the shock of tapping it a few times with a hammer will free it.

I’ve sprayed nitro clean in there to try and break up the diff lube and that has helped me in the past. It may take a while but it will eventually come loose.

I used to struggle with the sun gear until I figured out this trick, and ever since then it's made it a breeze to get them out.

Remove the small set screw in the cup and insert a small flat tipped screwdriver through the hole and under the edge of the gear. Twist the flat tip, prying up ever so slightly. Rotate the gear 90 degrees and repeat. May take 2 or 3 full rotations of the gear, but it always works it's way up off the shaft and pops right off without much fuss

IMG_7667.JPG

IMG_7668.JPG

Ha! That's probably what that grub screw hole is made for. I never thought about it. Always thought it was a stupid way to "fill" a diff.

In one of my vehicles diffs, the hole is so you can put the pin in. It"s too long to do without putting it through the hole first.

Ok...thx for the feedback and great pics...I tried to pry using the drain hole with no luck (however didn't have small flat like u)...even when to local hobby shop and master tech couldn't get it...almost like pin is seized to sun gear. Decided to just refill diff and seal everything back up...only downfall is could not change stock bearing. Will ride as-is for now...thx!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back