Senton V3 Senton 6s refurb/build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWSRC

Cake Boss RC pit crew!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Nero
  5. Outcast 6s
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Typhon 3s
I bought this Senton a couple of weeks back for a nice deal. She's been well used but is solid. She's all original except the front splash shields (and mount piece) and a HR servo mount. Tires are in decent shape and the body has some light wear and a few small cracks. The shocks are original, with the plastic caps and adjuster collars.The wing was held with only two remaining screws and came off after a few tumbles in the yard while testing on 4s.
20220325_171437.jpg
20220325_171420.jpg

In preparation for this re-build, and in an effort to buy parts while they're available I purchased the following: a V5 Typhon chassis plate and chassis plastic kit (yes, I know the side trays aren't compatable), a complete set of new Senton arms, axles, hubs, a TRB bearing kit, and new body mounts. For the diffs, I snagged O-rings, shims, and new diff gear sets. I also purchased an EXB steering assembly and servo mount, got a new V5 sliding motor mount, and a JRC hardware kit to replace rusty screws.

I bought a Ultrasonic H2O bath for cleaning the parts. That's a whole new learning curve...
With everything freshened up from diff gears to the tower pieces I was ready to start.

Diffs:
Was planning on cleaning and re-lubing the diffs but after inspection, I decided to replace the internals w/new O-rings, gear assemblies, and fresh shims ( Mugen E0206). None of these diffs came assembled with shims behind the Planetary gears ( large gear). The specified O-rings I purchased (AR716001) are too thick for the diff cups so I'm holding on the diffs until parts arrive. I ordered (AR330245) O-rings which are spec'd. for the shock shafts but are known to be used in the diff outdrives. Once assembled, I will run 60k, 250k, and 30k (F,C,R) weights and see how that works out.
20220326_125634.jpg

Steering post bushings were replaced with TRB bearings and I reused the original bellcrank assembly for now. For the price, the EXB bellcrank assembly was cheaper than a set of steering links so it's worth the price.
20220327_004124.jpg

20220406_183426.jpg

ESC and Motor:
I replaced the original BLX 185 and 2050 motor with fresh Spektrum Firma 150A esc and 2050kv components. I installed the motor on a new V5 sliding mount. The fan and heatsink have been left off for now. (I will monitor temps and install if needed.) The new parts are IC5 compatible, which is good for me.
20220408_004658.jpg

Chassis and suspension components:
All original with scratches, gouges, chips and all. I did update the tower braces to the latest version HD composite parts. I'm gonna beat on this until I break parts and replace parts as needed. Everything was de-gunked and reused. Shocks will be rebuilt with fresh parts and topped off with spec weight fluid.

Tires:
Stock dBoots sidewinder. Will upgrade when needed with similar SCT whel/tire combo most likely from Proline.

Radio set:
Staying with the Tactic TTX 300 tx and 326 rx. Why fix what ain't broke?

I'm keeping the V3 body it came with. It's pretty solid and only needs a couple of repairs.

Some assembly pics. Sans driveshafts and diffs.
20220407_193523.jpg
20220407_191907.jpg
20220407_180941.jpg
20220407_231730.jpg

I bought this Senton a couple of weeks back for a nice deal. She's been well used but is solid. She's all original except the front splash shields (and mount piece) and a HR servo mount. Tires are in decent shape and the body has some light wear and a few small cracks. The shocks are original, with the plastic caps and adjuster collars.The wing was held with only two remaining screws and came off after a few tumbles in the yard while testing on 4s.
View attachment 210820View attachment 210821

In preparation for this re-build, and in an effort to buy parts while they're available I purchased the following: a V5 Typhon chassis plate and chassis plastic kit (yes, I know the side trays aren't compatable), a complete set of new Senton arms, axles, hubs, a TRB bearing kit, and new body mounts. For the diffs, I snagged O-rings, shims, and new diff gear sets. I also purchased an EXB steering assembly and servo mount, got a new V5 sliding motor mount, and a JRC hardware kit to replace rusty screws.

I bought a Ultrasonic H2O bath for cleaning the parts. That's a whole new learning curve...
With everything freshened up from diff gears to the tower pieces I was ready to start.

Diffs:
Was planning on cleaning and re-lubing the diffs but after inspection, I decided to replace the internals w/new O-rings, gear assemblies, and fresh shims ( Mugen E0206). None of these diffs came assembled with shims behind the Planetary gears ( large gear). The specified O-rings I purchased (AR716001) are too thick for the diff cups so I'm holding on the diffs until parts arrive. I ordered (AR330245) O-rings which are spec'd. for the shock shafts but are known to be used in the diff outdrives. Once assembled, I will run 60k, 250k, and 30k (F,C,R) weights and see how that works out.
View attachment 210822

Steering post bushings were replaced with TRB bearings and I reused the original bellcrank assembly for now. For the price, the EXB bellcrank assembly was cheaper than a set of steering links so it's worth the price.
View attachment 210823
View attachment 210824

ESC and Motor:
I replaced the original BLX 185 and 2050 motor with fresh Spektrum Firma 150A esc and 2050kv components. I installed the motor on a new V5 sliding mount. The fan and heatsink have been left off for now. (I will monitor temps and install if needed.) The new parts are IC5 compatible, which is good for me.
View attachment 210825

Chassis and suspension components:
All original with scratches, gouges, chips and all. I did update the tower braces to the latest version HD composite parts. I'm gonna beat on this until I break parts and replace parts as needed. Everything was de-gunked and reused. Shocks will be rebuilt with fresh parts and topped off with spec weight fluid.

Tires:
Stock dBoots sidewinder. Will upgrade when needed with similar SCT whel/tire combo most likely from Proline.

Radio set:
Staying with the Tactic TTX 300 tx and 326 rx. Why fix what ain't broke?

I'm keeping the V3 body it came with. It's pretty solid and only needs a couple of repairs.

Some assembly pics. Sans driveshafts and diffs.
View attachment 210826View attachment 210828View attachment 210829View attachment 210830
Very nice👍. With such a nice looking car you may consider sanding the chassis and leave it either shiny silver or give it a black paint. Will make the entire car look like it’s almost new😉.

Nice. I did something very similar with mine. But I have two questions.
Why the Spektrum in lieu of the BLX185? And are you selling any of your un used stuff(like the BLX185 and 2050)?
I plan on using the original electronics down the line. I want to go through and check on the motor bearings before I beat on it. The spektrum stuff is used and I got relatively cheap so I figured it would be good enough to be used as a mule powertrain.

Fair enough. So you're doing what I did lol. I went 8s on my 1/8 Senton, put the BLX185 in my 1/10Senton to run it on 6S and the BLX 100 will likely go in my son's rwd ECX Amp if I can fit the motor
Now I plan to build an offroad 1/8 Senton to compliment the 1/8 8s road Senton. I went overboard on the 1/8 build with upgrades that currently the only original parts on it are the cvds, dogbones, center body tower, and the body. And kept all stock parts

Very nice👍. With such a nice looking car you may consider sanding the chassis and leave it either shiny silver or give it a black paint. Will make the entire car look like it’s almost new😉.
Great idea, I'll give the chassis plate a good buffing the next go around.This thing has been sitting on my dining room table for the last two weeks, I'm just happy to have it mostly in one piece! I really need to build a bench and set up a room in my house for my RCs.
Fair enough. So you're doing what I did lol. I went 8s on my 1/8 Senton, put the BLX185 in my 1/10Senton to run it on 6S and the BLX 100 will likely go in my son's rwd ECX Amp if I can fit the motor
Now I plan to build an offroad 1/8 Senton to compliment the 1/8 8s road Senton. I went overboard on the 1/8 build with upgrades that currently the only original parts on it are the cvds, dogbones, center body tower, and the body. And kept all stock parts
I'll eventually install the BLX electronics back into this chassis and use the Spektrum stuff in a budget build.
I'm kinda confused, I know in my mind this is like a 1/8 rig but most call it a 1/10 scale?
Is the 3s considered a 1/10th scale and the 6s a 1/8th?
Bodies can be swapped from one to the other, right?

Last edited:

My son's ECX Amp MT runs a Surpass brushless motor and a cheap TRex ESC. It's insanity on 3S but runs great on 2S or 3S. That thing on 2S runs a long time, works great, and is a tough little rig. I think the BLX100 setup might be on the heavy side for such a light car.

This thing hit 76 kph - would go faster but it flipped over.

Yes the bodies fit both ways, but the Senton 6s body looks way better IMO. Amain just got some 6s bodies in stock.

Great idea, I'll give the chassis plate a good buffing the next go around.This thing has been sitting on my dining room table for the last two weeks, I'm just happy to have it mostly in one piece! I really need to build a bench and set up a room in my house for my RCs.

I'll eventually install the BLX electronics back into this chassis and use the Spektrum stuff in a budget build.
I'm kinda confused, I know in my mind this is like a 1/8 rig but most call it a 1/10 scale?
Is the 3s considered a 1/10th scale and the 6s a 1/8th?
The 1/10 Senton is LWB and the 1/8 Senton is SWB. The math puts them almost the same size(1/8 is a touch longer) and bodies interchange with zero modification. Here's my 1/8 with 1/10 body on
Screenshot_20211217-093807_Gallery.jpg

I found a new V3 chassis for this project for under $25 shipped. Yeah, JRCs cost about 15 shipped but it's not old stock. Gonna rebuild the diffs now that all the parts are in and get this out for a run at the park. Looking foward to a solid blast session.

Found that one of the "original" wheels was missing its foam and was actually filled with red sand. Well, that explaines the small sand piles everywhere now.🤣
Had a fresh set of wheels so here they are. Got a few upgrades but mostly stock. I stitched the body where it cracked. Kinda like the look, reminds me of my moto road racing days.
20220414_201030.jpg
20220414_201112.jpg
20220414_201122.jpg
20220414_201256.jpg
20220414_201500.jpg
20220414_201923.jpg
20220414_201915.jpg
20220414_201908.jpg
20220414_201523.jpg

Got it finished and have only had a chance to run a 4s battery pack in it. Was pretty fun but I've had to turn my focus on my house so everything's in limbo as far as RC goes. Thanks for asking.

Got it finished and have only had a chance to run a 4s battery pack in it. Was pretty fun but I've had to turn my focus on my house so everything's in limbo as far as RC goes. Thanks for asking.
LOL , I know how that goes !!!!! I'm extremely busy to . I did an M2C chassis on my K8S back in Nov , still haven't driven it yet ! Did a full go thru on my Mojave diffs / shocks , still not driven ! Full go thru on my Talion M2C chassis / diffs / shocks / bearings , drove once !!!Just finished my TLR Senton build , did not drive yet , but will this weekend !!!!! I have been wanting that one so bad for a long time , I WILL make time for it !!! LOL

LOL , I know how that goes !!!!! I'm extremely busy to . I did an M2C chassis on my K8S back in Nov , still haven't driven it yet ! Did a full go thru on my Mojave diffs / shocks , still not driven ! Full go thru on my Talion M2C chassis / diffs / shocks / bearings , drove once !!!Just finished my TLR Senton build , did not drive yet , but will this weekend !!!!! I have been wanting that one so bad for a long time , I WILL make time for it !!! LOL
Well, it seems my house has been put on the back burner by my lousy window installer and the high demand low supply dynamic created by the fuggen pandemic. So I dragged some of the rigs back into my house and am working on an Infraction and v3 K6 to EXB build.
I'll be out tearing up the Senton at my local spot this weekend ( weather permitting).
I suppose we aren't the only folks in this position. Misery loves company I guess. Hell, I'd be an RC influencer if I understood the dynamics of all that it entails.
Right now, this hobby "influences" my fun money ...or lack of it. 😜

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back