Talion V3 Talion replacment tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original Katar is not a bad tire, but if you wanna upgrade, I would stay around the same diameter, yes the Proline Badlands imo is about the best choice. Proline Shockwave is a little wider but works great too. You gain some side stability by choosing an offset rim. Usually standard on the Proline premounted.

The Dboots Backflip is a much larger tire, compared to the Katar and Badlands, but why not, there are really no rules :)

I appreciate your advise. But what about the dboots Backflips?

Backflips, Badlands, Katar

IMG_2725a_resize.JPG

IMG_2726a_resize.JPG

@op, Do you run 4S or 6S?

Buddy of mine liked my 3.8" trenchers on my savage flux and got a set for his talion. He geared down the pinion a bit, but it does really well with them. I wouldn't suggest he pin the throttle when in the air, but otherwise they seem to work well.

I only run 4S on the two trucks I run them on, Savage Flux HP and Traxxas Brushless Revo. Odds are, when I get an outcast, I'll get another set as I really like the tires. They add some decent cushion for the landings and seem to wear well.

@op, Do you run 4S or 6S?

Buddy of mine liked my 3.8" trenchers on my savage flux and got a set for his talion. He geared down the pinion a bit, but it does really well with them. I wouldn't suggest he pin the throttle when in the air, but otherwise they seem to work well.

I only run 4S on the two trucks I run them on, Savage Flux HP and Traxxas Brushless Revo. Odds are, when I get an outcast, I'll get another set as I really like the tires. They add some decent cushion for the landings and seem to wear well.
I run mostly 6s with stock pinin. With a fan on the motor heat has not been a big issue. The Talion obviously flips way better with these tires and all around beefier off road basher. Love them! All though if I was running on concrete or doing speed runs they would not be my tier of choice.

Can you put the badlands on 0 offset rims? I don't want the truck to get wider but having more aggressive tires would be nice.

Can you put the badlands on 0 offset rims? I don't want the truck to get wider but having more aggressive tires would be nice.

Sure you can ! Just find some some suitable wheels.

Does any exist? Hard to find 3.8 wheels that are not premount. In theory Louise has them but they aren't sold anywhere. Nothing at Proline....

Used to be more unmounted tires/wheels available from Proline, I believe it's all about market/sales.
Seen people use various rims to fit the Badlands and the 1/2" offset seems to be the most popular, like it myself.
The Pro-Line 1178-00 is a Traxxas style bead tire, think E-Revo V1, they came on 3.8 17mm hex 0 offset rims, should be easy to find and
probably for cheap. Just gotta grind away those little tabs inside the hex. I would seriously just go for the pre-mounted ProLine 1178-11 and enjoy the 1/2" offset.

Pro-line Badlands are the perfect tire size for the Talion, and you gotta like that moto-x tread pattern.

Yes, you can put Badlands on zero offset rims. However, if running really tall &/or wide tires on a zero offset rims, there is a chance you could have some front tire rubbing on the body if it is a tire that balloons a lot, and steering is at full lock.

You can also stretch the 3.8" Badlands to fit 4.0" wheels, which then allows many choices for wheels. I have some unmounted 3.8 Badlands and DE Racing Speedline Plus 1/8 truggy wheels. I have not glued/mounted them, as still deciding if I will tape them (I'm thinking 2 very thin strips of Gorilla tape for less weight & to keep the center part open for tire venting).

These DE Racing wheels are the lightest available & weigh only 58g each. Here's the link(s):
https://www.amainhobbies.com/de-racing-speedline-plus-1-8-truggy-wheel-4-black-der-pt4-8b/p705686
https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...-truck-tires-2-m2-pro1178-00/p387158?v=205632

Last edited:
Pro-line Badlands are the perfect tire size for the Talion, and you gotta like that moto-x tread pattern. Yes, you can put Badlands on zero offset rims. You can also stretch the 3.8" Badlands to fit 4.0" wheels, which then allows many choices for wheels. I have some unmounted 3.8 Badlands and DE Racing Speedline Plus 1/8 truggy wheels. I have not glued/mounted them, as still deciding if I will tape them (I'm thinking 2 very thin strips of Gorilla tape for less weight & to keep the center part open for tire venting).

These DE Racing wheels are the lightest available & weigh only 58g each. Here's the link(s):
https://www.amainhobbies.com/de-racing-speedline-plus-1-8-truggy-wheel-4-black-der-pt4-8b/p705686
https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...-truck-tires-2-m2-pro1178-00/p387158?v=205632

That looks great. I changed the pinion today to make the car a bit faster (15 up from 13) and I'm waiting on these to take it to the next level on our very damaged track: https://www.minicars.se/sv/artiklar/dack-falg-st-viper-1-8-truck-beadlock-svart-2.html

If this doesn't work I'll follow your steps.

That looks great. I changed the pinion today to make the car a bit faster (15 up from 13) and I'm waiting on these to take it to the next level on our very damaged track: https://www.minicars.se/sv/artiklar/dack-falg-st-viper-1-8-truck-beadlock-svart-2.html

If this doesn't work I'll follow your steps.
Although your Arrma RC's only show a Kraton on your Avatar, since you are changing from a 13T to a 15T, and this is the Talion section, I gather you now have a Talion? I'm running a 15T pinion (stock was a 12T) in my 2018 Kraton and no heat issues. I definitely noticed the top end speed has improved greatly. So far I'm very happy with this gearing. I'm putting a 18T in my V3 Talion, and expect very similar results.

Those tires/wheels look cool for sure. It looks like these are about the same diameter as the Backflips (6.74" tall compared to 6.8") and a good width at 3.2" wide (width is between the 3.0" Backflips and 3.3" Minokawa's). However, if you are putting these on your Talion, this will be a big increase in tire size, 1" taller and 1" wider (as Katar's are only 5.75" tall & 2.24" wide). These might be a better tire for your Kraton, than your Talion, unless you are upgrading to the beefier V3 Kraton hubs?

Unfortunately, the one negative of beadlock wheels is that they are noticeably heavier, and a heavy wheel is harder on your drivetrain, suspension, heat issues, durability, etc. However, the one positive of a beadlock wheel is you can try different taping methods, if needed & always change it afterwards. Also keep in mind, if you put these much taller tires on your Talion, it will be like putting a bigger pinion in, than the 15T you actually used.

Last edited:
Although your Arrma RC's only show a Kraton on your Avatar, since you are changing from a 13T to a 15T, and this is the Talion section, I gather you now have a Talion? I'm running a 15T pinion (stock was a 12T) in my 2018 Kraton and no heat issues. I definitely noticed the top end speed has improved greatly. So far I'm very happy with this gearing. I'm putting a 18T in my V3 Talion, and expect very similar results.

Those tires/wheels look cool for sure. It looks like these are about the same diameter as the Backflips (6.74" tall compared to 6.8") and a good width at 3.2" wide (width is between the 3.0" Backflips and 3.3" Minokawa's). However, if you are putting these on your Talion, this will be a big increase in tire size, 1" taller and 1" wider (as Katar's are only 5.75" tall & 2.24" wide). These might be a better tire for your Kraton, than your Talion, unless you are upgrading to the beefier V3 Kraton hubs?

Unfortunately, the one negative of beadlock wheels is that they are noticeably heavier, and a heavy wheel is harder on your drivetrain, suspension, heat issues, durability, etc. However, the one positive of a beadlock wheel is you can try different taping methods, if needed & always change it afterwards. Also keep in mind, if you put these much taller tires on your Talion, it will be like putting a bigger pinion in, than the 15T you actually used.

Do the hubs really differ betrween the two? It wasn't the case in the past (V1 at least). Are they even bigger on the Kraton now?

Ye
Do the hubs really differ betrween the two? It wasn't the case in the past (V1 at least). Are they even bigger on the Kraton now?
Yes, the new V3 Kraton rear hubs and steering blocks are beefier and stronger. If you are using a lot bigger and heavier tires and not running 6S and not hitting really big jumps, you might be ok, as some members have not changed to the V3 Kraton hubs, even though they are using much bigger & heavier tires...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back