Kraton V4 6s kraton - SEVERE real wheels wobble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
After doing some jumps at a bmx track for the first time, everything seemed fine and we went to a soccer field to continue bashing. That's when I noticed the back left wheel was wobbling, it got worse and then the tie rod came loose basically petting the wheel fall 90 degrees. The drive shaft was just laying there in the dirt and I found that the nut holding the tie rod to the rear shock tower just fell off.

I fixed the tire rod but now there is severe real wheel wobble on both rear wheels. I cant see what is wrong, I have no where to start?
The car does not seem driveable as I think the entire rear end will loose all the nuts and screws with this vibration.
This kraton is running on 6s and is completely stock

After doing some jumps at a bmx track for the first time, everything seemed fine and we went to a soccer field to continue bashing. That's when I noticed the back left wheel was wobbling, it got worse and then the tie rod came loose basically petting the wheel fall 90 degrees. The drive shaft was just laying there in the dirt and I found that the nut holding the tie rod to the rear shock tower just fell off.

I fixed the tire rod but now there is severe real wheel wobble on both rear wheels. I cant see what is wrong, I have no where to start?
The car does not seem driveable as I think the entire rear end will loose all the nuts and screws with this vibration.
This kraton is running on 6s and is completely stock
Your rear tires are full of dirt and need to be vented from the sounds of things.

Ok I will find a youtube video on venting.

Any do's or don'ts that I should know.

Do I need to just buy new tires since they have dirt in them already?

I think vents are better on the tyre tread surface as some others do on here... as it helps expel all the water and crap like a washing machine on a spin.. The sidewall and wheel vents just don't do the same job and probably even make it worse.
don't use the tyre tread type vent if your tyres have a really thin surface thickness across the tread of the tyre like the Katars do though... otherwise they might rip.. in theory at least.

don't make a ragged hole either, I burn through mine with an old soldering iron tip from the inside prior to glueing them on the rims. Less likely to tear with a perfectly round vent.

You wont necessarily need new tyres but your tyre foams might be fubared? If they are invest in some waterproof closed cell inserts, they will perform better and last a lot longer.

Can you post some pictures of the rear end?

Janbum.jpg

Yeah sounds like you have some water or debris in the wheels. There are several videos on venting. Good luck if you are still getting wobble after that on just one tire maybe check to ensure a driveshaft isn't bent. Best of luck.

I dknt know what a closed cell foam insert is.

Should I just buy new tires? I am so confused. If I vent these, will it fix the issue?

Do proline tires need to be vented?

Also check your wheel. I found that the inside of where the wheel nut tightens to wheel can be deformed causing the wheel to tighten (not square) side ways in relation to the bearing/hub for lack of the right RC term lol. Here’s a pic of one of slash 4x4 wheels being deformed internally causing the wheel to spin/wobble under acceleration.
334E29A8-4856-4369-A3F6-FA39FD659BD3.jpeg

Both rear tires wobble equally
I cant even get these damn tires off I have a broken wrist. I feel like km gonna break the damn wrench they are so tight.

All tyres need to be vented otherwise your car will bounce a lot more. The wheels usually have a hole in them inside the rims but the don't do much compared to through the tyre surface.

Closed cell foam inserts are just a newer higher quality foam type that don't absorb water due to the cells..being closed unlike the basic open cell foam inserts. Proline and AKA among others do them and are available in soft or med/hard.

This thread explains everything in good detail..

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-many-here-vents-their-tires-through-the-rubber.7147/

Rear
Looking down at rear

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191014-173951_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191014-173951_Gallery.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20191014-174211_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191014-174211_Gallery.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 68
If you have a soldering iron with a sacrificial tip, just melt two holes per tire 180 degrees across the tire from each other.

Another option is the get a piece of brass rod and sharpen the end with an xacto blade. Put it in a drill chuck and use it to drill the holes in the tire instead of melting it.

All tyres need to be vented otherwise your car will bounce a lot more. The wheels usually have a hole in them inside the rims but the don't do much compared to through the tyre surface.

Closed cell foam inserts are just a newer higher quality foam type that don't absorb water due to the cells..being closed unlike the basic open cell foam inserts. Proline and AKA among others do them and are available in soft or med/hard.

This thread explains everything in good detail..

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-many-here-vents-their-tires-through-the-rubber.7147/
Non vented tires do not bounce more. It's myth that's been debunked on more than one occasion.

I also run all my tires complete sealed from day one, and have never had an off balance tire, or failure of any kind.
30+ tires and counting.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do the brass rod method.

Once I do this, it is possible that tires are just fiddlesticked?

Seems rediculous that horizon gave me a poop radio AND tires. About ready to return this truck honestly.

Rear
Looking down at rear
From looking at those pics I can almost guarantee your wheels are full of water. Vent them, go outside, turn the car on, turn it upside down, stand off to the side not in front or behind and give it a few rips of the throttle and watch all the water fly out.

I'm gonna do the brass rod method.

Once I do this, it is possible that tires are just fiddlesticked?

Seems rediculous that horizon gave me a poop radio AND tires. About ready to return this truck honestly.
Not likely unless you really trashed them on purpose.

Non vented tires do not bounce more. It's myth that's been debunked on more than one occasion.

Thats is surprising to hear. Why do all the pros still do it then?
I tried sealing my vent holes and they felt really different on the table but If that is truly the case I'll stop venting and seal the properly. Do you have any links to the debunks?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back