V4 Kraton Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just a Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
Well, this guy just kind of happened quick.
I wanted a second truck to bash while my V3 Kraton was cooling down so it could be non stop fun. I was on the fence about getting a Typhon (still may get one) or an Outcast, but I saw someone parting out the major components of a V4 Kraton. So I picked up this unrun, never scratched V4 Kraton slider.

I had a clear body for my V3 that I had wanted to come up with a somewhat loud paint job, so it became the new body for this V4. Two coats of transparent yellow backed with a metallic silver gives it a candy style paint job. Pictures don't really do the paint justice, it looks awesome in the sunlight. I swapped over V3 body mounts (hey, no clear V4 bodies yet). Since I have had great success with the Backflip tires I ordered a set for this Kraton (they really do transform the truck, at least over the V3 tires).

For electronics, I wanted something more than stock. I wanted this to be overkill. After hearing about the Hobbystar 4092/Hexfly Hex 6 combination, I had to have it. I went with the 1480Kv and 20 tooth pinion. I did the math in Excel and it should be right around the same top speed as the stock speed pinion setup, but run cooler, and with the extra torque of this motor it should be a rocketship out of the hole. Steering is performed by my trusted and cheap $17 amazon 20kg steering servo special. All tied to a Futaba radio.

After a bad crash with my V3 Kraton that folded and twisted the original chassis, I ordered GPM chassis braces and a metal servo mount for both. I'm a sucker for the price of their stuff. I order double of any Kraton upgrades to keep the durability of my V3 and V4 on par. All diffs were torn down, shimmed, and filled with 80k/200k/30k (front to rear) oils.

First test run on 4s worked out great. Spent some time dialing in the settings on the ESC to making sure everything was to my liking in my backyard. Felt like it had a ton more torque than the stock setup. With this one it also felt like my back yard got smaller, I had to get on the brakes a lot sooner before smashing into my fence. After hitting LVC, I checked everything over to make sure no screws backed out and prepared for the weekend.

I usually bash early on the weekends. I'll charge up every pack I own, make an entire pot of coffee, and head out before the sun is up. I'll turn up the music on my bluetooth speaker, sip some coffee, and launch RC cars in the air. Its therapy.

This setup is a home run. The gearing feels perfect, it is in fact a rocketship off the line if you can keep the wheels down. You don't have to be going that fast as your approaching a jump, just stand on the throttle when its at the base of the jump and it really does just launch into the air.

This truck just eats the jumps up. So much that It should be reclassified as an airplane. It flies really well, control in the air awesome with the extra torque from that 4092, and steering is great with the voltage turned up to the budget servo. 3 6S batteries through this thing on the first outing and zero problems. Jump after jump, it kept coming back for more. I was easily clearing 15ft of air, occasionally standing underneath its flight path.

Like throwing a ball with a Labrador, it came back with its tail wagging, begging for you to do it again.

Looks killer bro! ?

Does anyone know if the Hexfly will allow the use of my Hobbywing programmer? I have the wifi express.

[/QUOTE]I had a clear body for my V3 that I had wanted to come up with a somewhat loud paint job, so it became the new body for this V4. Two coats of transparent yellow backed with a metallic silver gives it a candy style paint job. Pictures don't really do the paint justice, it looks awesome in the sunlight. I swapped over V3 body mounts (hey, no clear V4 bodies yet). Since I have had great success with the Backflip tires I ordered a set for this Kraton (they really do transform the truck, at least over the V3 tires).
View attachment 38323
[/QUOTE]
Oh Yeah. I like the body/paint job!

Wow, this looks like a brilliant build, well done. I have a max 6 and the hobbystar 4092 1480kv, though I can only run 16t without it getting too hot. I'm about to fully rebuild mine the last of the parts will arrive on Monday. Hopefully I had a tight diff or something, I'd love to run a 20t. I've even bought a 22t thinking it would be on limit with fans, but no hope.

Wow, this looks like a brilliant build, well done. I have a max 6 and the hobbystar 4092 1480kv, though I can only run 16t without it getting too hot. I'm about to fully rebuild mine the last of the parts will arrive on Monday. Hopefully I had a tight diff or something, I'd love to run a 20t. I've even bought a 22t thinking it would be on limit with fans, but no hope.

That's weird. Hopefully the rebuild solves the problem.

Mine doesn't run cold at all. By the end of a pack I can easily hold the ESC all day if I didn't jump it too high and break a fan, and the motor is quite hot. No idea on temps as of yet, but I'd estimate about 40% through the pack I can still keep my hand on the motor. And its pretty much a hammer the throttle fest with this one.

That 22t pinion should really wake it up. I was on the fence about going with that vs the 20t. The 2 extra teeth would've been worth around 4-6mph on the top end.
I eventually settled for the 20t since I didn't want to end up running into issues with tires coming unglued, and it was already fast enough. Now that I look back at it, I don't think the tires would be an issue.

After I had a bad crash with my V3 Kraton I made my mind up that I was going to add a little more front protection to both Kratons. I really didn't like the look of most of the bumper options out there for the Kraton. Most looked too big and bulky. I wanted something that should cover the shocks so they don't take a direct hit and help a little more with the nose landings I've been perfecting.
So I got a TBone Basher bumper for a Typhon.

It screwed on without any hiccups. I reused the front two screws since they are the same length as the new ones, and the patina matches the chassis.

While screwing the bumper onto my V3 I noticed the chassis is pretty bent again...
Might be time to order 2 M2C or Just Bash It chassis.

Last edited:
That's weird. Hopefully the rebuild solves the problem.

Mine doesn't run cold at all. By the end of a pack I can easily hold the ESC all day if I didn't jump it too high and break a fan, and the motor is quite hot. No idea on temps as of yet, but I'd estimate about 40% through the pack I can still keep my hand on the motor. And its pretty much a hammer the throttle fest with this one.

That 22t pinion should really wake it up. I was on the fence about going with that vs the 20t. The 2 extra teeth would've been worth around 4-6mph on the top end.
I eventually settled for the 20t since I didn't want to end up running into issues with tires coming unglued, and it was already fast enough. Now that I look back at it, I don't think the tires would be an issue.

After I had a bad crash with my V3 Kraton I made my mind up that I was going to add a little more front protection to both Kratons. I really didn't like the look of most of the bumper options out there for the Kraton. Most looked too big and bulky. I wanted something that should cover the shocks so they don't take a direct hit and help a little more with the nose landings I've been perfecting.
So I got a TBone Basher bumper for a Typhon.

View attachment 38421
View attachment 38422

It screwed on without any hiccups. I reused the front two screws since they are the same length as the new ones, and the patina matches the chassis.

While screwing the bumper onto my V3 I noticed the chassis is pretty bent again...
Might be time to order 2 M2C or Just Bash It chassis.
I've got the Typhon bumpers to, they are great. The m2c is the basis of my rebuild, I wrapped my v3 round a wooden beam at the park. I'm looking forward to the build as I've got at least 90% new parts or upgraded parts to go into it.

I run a Max6 and the same motor as you with a 19t pinion. Balls galore. One think you might want to think about is extending your motor leads a hair. They aren't the greatest to begin with and you have zero margin for error. You get enough flex in the chassis and you might damage something. Just a thought. Really nice build. I am uploading a video now of my Kraton. Thing is a beast! (y)??

I run a Max6 and the same motor as you with a 19t pinion. Balls galore. One think you might want to think about is extending your motor leads a hair. They aren't the greatest to begin with and you have zero margin for error. You get enough flex in the chassis and you might damage something. Just a thought. Really nice build. I am uploading a video now of my Kraton. Thing is a beast! (y)??

When I was first assembling it it did seem the motor leads would be perfect if they were another inch longer. I'll keep an eye on it. So far the double sided tape is losing the war against jumping this thing, zip ties seem to be my primary hold down for that ESC.

Maybe I can use some scrap aluminum to come up with a hold down bracket.

When I was first assembling it it did seem the motor leads would be perfect if they were another inch longer. I'll keep an eye on it. So far the double sided tape is losing the war against jumping this thing, zip ties seem to be my primary hold down for that ESC.

Maybe I can use some scrap aluminum to come up with a hold down bracket.
My buddy came up with a mounting system for the Max6. We are both currently running it and it’s been great. I’ll do a thread on it if anyone is interested.

My buddy came up with a mounting system for the Max6. We are both currently running it and it’s been great. I’ll do a thread on it if anyone is interested.

I screwed it to the esc tray using the holes on the bottom (thank to @Mr.Duke ). If the Hex6 has the same holes you can do that.

Please I'm desperate to get something for mine, thank you.
I screwed it to the esc tray using the holes on the bottom (thank to @Mr.Duke ). If the Hex6 has the same holes you can do that.
The isn't much thread is there to screw into, did you use tape as well?

I'm not sure the Hex6 has the same holes. I'll check tonight when I get home.

I might make a bracket out of aluminum for it, and maybe add some sort of rubber bushing to dampen some of the shock from landing. Still trying to find a durable esc fan that can take some hard landings (I ordered a bunch of different fans to see what lasts).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back